Lansky deluxe 5 stone sharpening system - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lansky deluxe 5 stone sharpening system

The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Thanks for that, Brownie!
    Rick

"Sights are for the unenlightened."

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    If one learns how to repeatedly keep the same angle on a stone, something our grandfathers could do through practice/necessity on the farm tools, one can then get knives to shaving sharp.

The Spyderco sharpmaker I presently have owned for 30 years, has sharpened thousands of knives from 2"-larger and up to 11+" bowie/kitchen knives. I can sharpen 5 knives from butter knife to razor blade sharp in the time it takes to set up the Lansky.

Had a Lansky once, too damned slow to set up for each knife.
    I learned that while still in third grade, and have been making all my knives shaving sharp ever since. The best I can describe it to someone wanting to learn is to hold the knife at the angle where they can feel the most drag against the blade when moving it across the stone/diamond hone/whatever, and repeat it exactly the same on the other side.
    Rick

"Sights are for the unenlightened."

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Thanks for that, Brownie!
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    If one learns how to repeatedly keep the same angle on a stone, something our grandfathers could do through practice/necessity on the farm tools, one can then get knives to shaving sharp.

The Spyderco sharpmaker I presently have owned for 30 years, has sharpened thousands of knives from 2"-larger and up to 11+" bowie/kitchen knives. I can sharpen 5 knives from butter knife to razor blade sharp in the time it takes to set up the Lansky.

Had a Lansky once, too damned slow to set up for each knife.
    In my view, the setup time for the Lansky isn’t the problem, it is the processing time. The spreadsheet I wrote lets me dial in the sharpening angle very accurately and repeatably and makes it easy to set up. But, the sharpener will only work on 4” of the blade at a time, not an issue for paring knives, but almost every other knife in the kitchen will require two complete passes through all the grits to get an edge sharpened, so it is time consuming to say the least. Also, I found that it took a lot of strokes at each grit to wipe out the scratches from the previous grit, another time waster. Maybe future touch ups would be faster, but it would take me a loooong time to initially go through all the knives in my kitchen, and my time is valuable. Plus, when I was done, I’d have a knife which was still only moderately sharp, which is not what I am looking for. So, I put it away and bought the top rated sharpener as determined by America’s Test Kitchen and am going with that.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." A. E. van Vogt

Distinguished Member
    The Chef’s Choice 15 trizor xv works great, the knives come out very sharp. I've no problems cutting very thin slices of paper or shaving hair off my arm. Also, it is easy to use and very quick.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." A. E. van Vogt

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    The Chef’s Choice 15 trizor xv works great, the knives come out very sharp. I've no problems cutting very thin slices of paper or shaving hair off my arm. Also, it is easy to use and very quick.
    Glad it worked out for you!
    I had an earlier model like that & it was OK for most, but not for me, gave it away.Not as good as the one you bought.
    After your report, probably need to get one & throw a basket full of others away.

My grandad showed me at age 9 how to keep my pocket knife razor sharp. An set of three sharpening stones is all you need you use the coarse stone to break the scale then a few passes on medium then finish with the fine, if the knife already has edge it really doesn't take that much time after you have done it a few times.
    Florida CWFL Member NRA , Florida Carry

Sposors