Hey gang - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Hey gang

Super Moderator
    Thanks for the update Pirate! I'm guessing that 55 hrs of training is all OJT with a company instructor accompanying you for OTR experience.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
    Thanks for the update Pirate! I'm guessing that 55 hrs of training is all OJT with a company instructor accompanying you for OTR experience.
    I have had a company instructor with me this whole time. Have about 12k miles under my belt. Once these last hours are done I get dropped at one of our terminals for final testing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Joe KN4URL

Twitter: sickpirate69
    NRA Member
    Florida Carry Member
    COTEP

And shepherds we shall be
    For Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti

Super Moderator
    You got this!
    -BH

Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I have had a company instructor with me this whole time. Have about 12k miles under my belt. Once these last hours are done I get dropped at one of our terminals for final testing.

Back in my day, trainer and trainee trucks were run like a team. One driving while the other slept. Trainer got paid by truck mileage meaning trainee paid weekly base and trainer paid for miles both logged. IMHO, it encouraged unsafe behavior. The priority becomes miles vs. training a new driver.

I was never able to sleep well in a moving truck, so I’d lay back there tossing and turning only to be expected to make 12 hours of road before trying to sleep again. Spent a couple weeks trying to kill us nodding off behind the wheel. After nearly putting us into a Jersey wall one night, I shut it down, tossed my bag out the door to hop a bus and head home. Dispatcher talked me into staying if he’d run the truck as a solo driver until I finished my stint.

After a few early deliveries, I was taken to the yard for my own truck. Was even given one of the new trucks, something unheard of for a new driver.

Always be careful rocking the boat, particularly at a new job. But, never be afraid to bluff. Given the driver shortage, they may blink.

It was a risk I was willing to take for my own safety.

Oh, and something my trainer taught me....he was a tool, but he had 30 years in the biz and knew a lot....always have enough money on you for a bus ride home. Don’t count on the company to get you home should either of choose to part ways and you’re 2000 miles from home.
    Last edited by RadTek; 09-02-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Well, finally finished training and tested out today. So here is my rig.

Joe KN4URL

Twitter: sickpirate69
    NRA Member
    Florida Carry Member
    COTEP

And shepherds we shall be
    For Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti

looks pretty sweet to me. This has been a great thread to follow and see your progression. Congratulations and best of luck.

Super Moderator

Congratulations, Pirate! I've really enjoyed rooting for you as you progress through training for your new career. Well done, sir!
    -BH

-- George Orwell

-- Herbert Spencer

Distinguished Member
    Very nice. In my day, we got a cabover. (Yes, I’m that old, I drove a cabover ) You didn’t get a “hood” until you’ve been at it awhile and graduate to a company that doesn’t exactly hire new drivers. Hell, we didn’t even have what we called the condo sleeper unless you were a team or trainer. It was literally a bunk. If you were lucky, or short like me, you could sit upright without knocking yourself out on the roof. You had to lay down and flop around in there on your back to change your britches.

Or, just do like I eventually did and start changing clothes in the driver’s seat. I figured, if someone sees something they haven’t seen yet......it’s time they did.

Congrats to you Sir!
    Rick

"Sights are for the unenlightened."

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Sposors