Hello from new member
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from new member

Hello from new member

I am fairly new to this forum. Obtained Florida concealed carry non-resident license last year. It's recognized by a number of other states in the union making it very valuable to people like myself. I live in Washington state that does not have reciprocity laws with other states but having Florida license allows me to travel occasionally to other states friendly to Florida with my own firearm. I'm planning to visit Yellowstone National Park next year.

I do have close personal ties to Florida having lived in Tampa for 7 years back in the 90s. My parents currently live in the area as well. When I come visit Florida again, I might bring my own firearm with me as well although checking it with an airline is a major hassle from what I've heard. I don't even know of all the requirements/restrictions yet. I am more likely to take it on the plane to Alaska first that is also on my list of places to visit.

Super Moderator
    Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, dxs206!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, welcome to FCC!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Welcome from Orlando

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dxs206 View Post
    I might bring my own firearm with me as well although checking it with an airline is a major hassle from what I've heard.
    Welcome!

You've heard wrong about checking firearms with airlines. Or, those who have said that cannot be speaking from personal experience. I've traveled MANY times with a firearm checked in my luggage. It's no hassle at all. Really. It just takes a bit longer, depending on the airport. Some are easier than others. But, overall... it's easy-peasy.

Just follow the TSA rules (and the airline's rules). Both available online.

Also important: Know the laws of your destination (and of any possible stops along the way). For example, if your plane gets diverted to say... NY or NJ... do NOT even take possession of your luggage / firearm.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Welcome from Jacksonville.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    Welcome!

You've heard wrong about checking firearms with airlines. Or, those who have said that cannot be speaking from personal experience. I've traveled MANY times with a firearm checked in my luggage. It's no hassle at all. Really. It just takes a bit longer, depending on the airport. Some are easier than others. But, overall... it's easy-peasy.

Just follow the TSA rules (and the airline's rules). Both available online.

Also important: Know the laws of your destination (and of any possible stops along the way). For example, if your plane gets diverted to say... NY or NJ... do NOT even take possession of your luggage / firearm.
    This! Easy to fly with a firearm to most, except for a few places!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Welcome from Lakeland, "Florida Firearms, law, use and ownership" is a great book I found a copy of the nineth edition for 13.50$ used on amazon instead of 35$, good luck.
    Florida CWFL Member NRA , Florida Carry

Welcome aboard.
    Steve
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Welcome aboard
    Glock 26
    Fl CWL holder
    NRA member

Welcome from Fort Myers.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer