Shoot or not? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shoot or not?

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    So, is that to say that the employer MUST have a written policy forbidding firearms?
    I don't know that it necessarily has to be in writing, but it has to have been communicated to the employee at some point. The easiest way to prove that that has been done is with a written policy that has been acknowledge, in writing, by the employee.

What if there is simply no policy, for or against?
    Then I suppose the employee would probably not be subject to disciplinary action by the employer. In terms of exposing the employer to liability, I suspect that having no set policy would hurt more than it would help.

How is the employer expected to KNOW if employees are armed? Is that a reasonable expectation?
    In most cases, there's probably no way to know...beyond the honor system. But if an employer has established a 'no guns' policy for employees, that may mitigate the liability the employer is exposed to if and when a rogue employee violates the policy. At the very least, the threat of termination is likely to ensure compliance by most employees.

I could see some liability if the employer had explicitly ENDORSED firearms carry by employees.

Finally... has there EVER been such a case brought against a company... for the actions of an employee OUTSIDE of his duties? Just because it was on premises?
    I suppose there probably has been, but I can't cite any specific examples.
    "It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyedick View Post

I suppose there probably has been, but I can't cite any specific examples.
    I should have been more specific (edited my previous comment). Has there ever been a case where someone sued a company / establishment due to the use of a firearm by an employee? I'm not expecting you to do a search. It's more of a rhetorical question. I bet there are none to very very few. I wonder if anyone has HEARD of such a case? Has an innocent bystander been hurt in such a circumstance? Has an armed robber lodged a lawsuit for being shot by an employee?

I think we often worry WAY too much about IMAGINED risks.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

I should have been more specific (edited my previous comment). Has there ever been a case where someone sued a company / establishment due to the use of a firearm by an employee? I'm not expecting you to do a search. It's more of a rhetorical question. I bet there are none to very very few. I wonder if anyone has HEARD of such a case? Has an innocent bystander been hurt in such a circumstance? Has an armed robber lodged a lawsuit for being shot by an employee?

I think we often worry WAY too much about IMAGINED risks.
    Potential risks, forethought goes a long way.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyedick View Post
    Then I suppose the employee would probably not be subject to disciplinary action by the employer. In terms of exposing the employer to liability, I suspect that having no set policy would hurt more than it would help.
    My understanding is that an employer can fire an employee in Florida for any reason or no reason. Is that not correct? What is the law in Oregon?
    Steve
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    My understanding is that an employer can fire an employee in Florida for any reason or no reason. Is that not correct? What is the law in Oregon?
    While that is true in theory, there is sufficient case law to make that notion somewhat erroneous. In any case, the employee would be eligible for unemployment benefits if he was terminated without cause, and the employer is not likely to prevail if they appeal the claim.

No idea what the law is in Oregon.
    "It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    Ya know I always heard that and certainly thought that as a rank and file employee, but the minute I got into management and wanted to fire an employee I found out it took an act of congress to get my HR department to actually terminate. Counseling, documentation, more counseling, coaching, more documentation and then about 5 or 6 "final warnings".......

Wish I knew that all the years I punched a clock.

ETA: I do believe it all has to do with them not wanting to pay the unemployement benefits for a wrongful termination. I have had to participate in an unemployement claim by a terminatied employee for cause, in this case, quit without notice. Didn't ever come back and expected to collect. Case dismissed, but employee still tried of course. When you work for a large employer that employs thousands you can bet they have those claims almost daily. So they want to make sure each termination is iron clad for a claim against them.
    Last edited by joecarry; 05-30-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    Anyone interested in the 80's TV show Miami Vice? If so click here --->Miamiviceonline.com

The largest Miami Vice web site on the planet dedicated to all things Vice!

The agency I worked at had published policies and procedures, including a no firearms policy, but, under Florida Law, firearms could be kept in vehicles in the parking lot.

The public could carry on the premises, except during the monthly governing board meetings.

There were times when I chose to carry; when working disaster relief after the ‘04 hurricanes in Polk and DeSoto counties, and in the office after a notably crazy well driller had made specific threats against some of the staff there.

Sometimes policy must take a back seat to an individual’s decision based on specific conditions. I’d rather be alive and unemployed than dead, but have a job I won’t be able to report to anyway.
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 05-30-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    Rick

"Sights are for the unenlightened."

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Super Moderator
    ^^^^
    Wise words from someone that makes the individual decision not to abdicate their defense to others!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Sposors