Florida Concealed Carry banner

Moving from Colorado in August

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Earl 007 
#1 ·
I'm moving from the Denver area to Venice in August. My Colorado CHL is valid until 09/2021. How long do I have before I have to apply for a Florida concealed permit? Are there any weird state laws I should be aware of that would differ drastically from Colorado?

Also wondering if anyone knows of any good places to shoot with minimal supervision (where I can practice IDPA style shooting.)

#2 · (Edited)
First, Welcome to the forum.

You can get started on the Florida license now. Go to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services website and apply online.

When you get settled in Florida you just do a change of address online.

https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License

Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.—

(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident
(a) Is 21 years of age or older.
(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.
(c) Is a resident of the United States.

(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.

(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by
(a) Registering to vote;
(b) Making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17; or
(c) Filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state,

the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence.

(4) This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm license holders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.

(5) The requirement of paragraph (1)(a) does not apply to a person who
(a) Is a service member, as defined in s. 250.01; or
(b) Is a veteran of the United States Armed Forces who was discharged under honorable conditions.

History.—s. 1, ch. 99-132; s. 2, ch. 2012-108.

#4 · (Edited)
I've added so information to my post above.

Printing is not an issue, it just has to be concealed.

790.001 (2) “Concealed firearm” means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection(2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s.790.06 (1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

(2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense
(a) A self-defense chemical spray.
(b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.

(3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
History.—s. 1, ch. 87-537; s. 173, ch. 91-224; s. 3, ch. 97-72; s. 1205, ch. 97-102; s. 3, ch. 2006-298; s. 1, ch. 2011-145.

Notwithstanding 790.53, you don't want to call attention to yourself.

#5 ·
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, JHW19! :wave

TitleIIToyLover Already answered your immediate questions. I'll also point out that if you're a veteran, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Customer Service (DOACS) has a separate line for processing your Application for a "Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License (FCWFL)."

With all that out of the way, now would be a really good time to post you're own Introduction thread to FCC so the members will get to know you. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, and will be more responsive in answering questions!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, welcome to FCC! :grin

#7 ·
:thumsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.