Florida Concealed Carry banner

DMV renewal - anyone been?

4K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  mike_1950 
#1 ·
My permit is expiring next month. The packet said I could go to the DMV (Clearwater for me) and renew. Sounds easy. What should I expect when I go? Do they do another background check and hand over a new permit??

#2 ·
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, jeffrey.cooper! :wave

Interesting choice of a forum handle! :grin

Now would be a really good time to post you're own Introduction thread to FCC so the members will get to know you. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, and will be more responsive in answering questions!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, welcome to FCC! :grin

#6 ·
Not completely true. You no longer have to go to the courthouse. Some of the tax collectors offices handle renewalls now. You will need to check on which of them do, I don't have a list but I know the one on 19N behind Olive Garden does.

#7 ·
I did it a few months ago and it was super easy. I brought the renewal letter but don't remember if I needed it. I don't think they did any background check. Certainly not one that took any time or effort on my part. I was in and out very quickly.

Not all offices do it but there was a list on the back of the renewal letter and one the Florida website.
https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Co...se/Concealed-Weapon-License-Service-Locations

#10 ·
Do you have to get the renewal notice prior to renewing? Reason I ask is, mine expires 5/21 and if the election here in Florida goes to crap I would like to renew prior to the new clowns getting into office in Jan of 2021.

#11 ·
If it works like the DOACS, then I don't think you can renew prior to receiving the notice. I checked on that prior to Ms. Fried taking office as the new DOACS commissioner. I was told that I could not renew my CWFL permit until I received the notice to renew. I would need certain information on the renewal notice to do the renewal.

#12 ·
I once read that DACS does a background check on every permit holder every month to ensure they have not become disqualified. Assuming this is true all they need to know when renewing you is that your current permit is valid.

Do you have to get the renewal notice prior to renewing? Reason I ask is, mine expires 5/21 and if the election here in Florida goes to crap I would like to renew prior to the new clowns getting into office in Jan of 2021.
You cannot renew more than 90 days in advance.

#13 ·
You cannot renew more than 90 days in advance.

Yep, that means earliest is Feb...new clowns will already be in office. If so, hope they are like the US House and accomplish nothing in that time frame.

But at least the governor and Senator will not be changing then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.