Florida Concealed Carry banner

Background Checks

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DrDavid 
#1 ·
I am new so this may have been asked before and if so will say sorry in advance.

If it takes less then 5 minutes to pass a background check to buy a gun in a gun store why does it take so long to pass one to get a concealed carry license? Dept of Ag is saying it is taking 55 days to process now.

#3 ·
They are two different animals with two different sets of requirements done by two different organizations. That could be why. For instance, one requires fingerprints, the other doesn't. One is strictly a state affair, the other isn't.

#4 ·
^^^^
This pretty much explains it. I also noted in your CWP Timeline post that you mentioned that since DOACS was taking so long to issue the FCWFL, you'd renewed your AZ CWP, which is good, but as I replied there, I wanted to be sure you know that out of state permits to carry are only good for carry in Florida for up to 90 days after establishing residency in Florida.

Again, welcome to FCC! :wave

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information. I was aware of residence rule in Fla. We travel a lot out of state and wanted to make sure I had an active one until Fla CCW arrives. Most states accept AZ license outright and do not have a residence requirement. AZ does not require a CCW for open or concealed carry but many get it for reciprocity when traveling. Also, in AZ it only takes a couple of weeks to get your original CCW and that is why I was wondering why it took so long here. When I got my original CCW in AZ they did fingerprints and had a class requirement. It was handled by the State Police. But each state makes their own rules so one must adapt.

Got my CCW here after 51 days on 2/4/2019. They are saying it may take up to 3 weeks to print and mail. I have gotten CCWs in two other states over the years and renewed them a number of times. Never took over 2-3 weeks to get one or over a couple of days to renew one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.