Florida Concealed Carry banner

Maxxtech Brass - Caution

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  FLSlim 
#1 · (Edited)
Many of my friends at the range know I reload and often donate their brass to a worthy cause ( me ).

While cleaning and checking brass I noticed something strange. Some of the cartridge cases have a very thick 'liner' beginning just below where the projectile will seat.

All these 9mm cases were headstamped Maxxtech. This reinforcing liner substantially reduces the inside volume of the cartridge case, and if charged with a quantity of powder safe in a 'normal' case could lead to dangerously high pressure and possibly catastrophic results.

Brass Metal Bowl Tableware earthenware

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting.

Would be worthwhile to pull a bullet from a live round and weigh the powder charge.

#4 ·
I first ran across those cases at one of Brownie’s TFP classes a few years ago, and had to sort a bunch out. I throw them away when any show up in range brass, and would never attempt to reload any myself. :thumbsdwn

#5 ·
looks like a ledge for the bullet..maybe to make seating uniform, and prevent setback? I'd never load one...

#8 ·
That's interesting... I wish I knew who had been shooting them so I could compare with your information. I'm using 4.6 grains of W231 with 115 grain plated bullets. I wonder what powder Maxxtech uses.

#10 ·
I've picked some up on the range, but never tried to reload it (I have so much 9mm brass, that it isn't worth wondering if I should use it). I was told (fact or fiction, I don't know) that these cases were actually make from two separate pieces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.