Florida Concealed Carry banner

AAR Thread for EBL's 15 December Threat Focused Course

8K views 83 replies 18 participants last post by  live2wheel700 
#1 ·
Place your AAR posts here. EBL puts on a great course and great seeing everyone today. Thanks for making our RO job easy! :2thumsup

#45 ·
DAMN!...youre killing me with this stuff...its been too long...and who does a guy have to sleep with to get one of those shirts?...

i'm gonna have to take the ride out to one of these...with the daughter going back and forth to college and work running me ragged i dont seem to have time or money for much anymore...but i would love to hook up with the crew again...i'll keep an eye out and do my best to make a visit...

looks like a good time had by all...how could you not?...now ive got the itch again...

#46 ·
And you have to reclaim the shoot-the-stand-leg title again..... Just sayin'

#55 ·
"Short Time" Caleb...ah, hell, the girls of Henoko woulda loved you...

#59 ·
Please, let's get back to the OP. Those of us that were there looked Forward to the AAR. Some of us are just busting Caleb. It is what friends do. It was a great day shooting, learning and most of all the laughter that I heard was great. Thanks again to Rick and I am sorry I bored you Shooter.

#60 ·
Maybe next time we let off a couple of negligent discharges and make him work for his RSO status..?....[emoji16]

On a serious note: What was everyone’s favorite part of the whole experience? Mine was when Rick set up the three targets and we shot 2 half hip Center target, 2 3/4 hip on left target, reload, and 2 shoulder on right target. That was fun.

My least favorite portion was the part where we had to go home. Lol.

It was a great time, thanks Rick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#61 ·
favorite part of the day? Tied between shooting with movement (partial step left or right) and the zipper; two @ 1/4 hip, two @ 1/2 hip and two @ shoulder. I even sneaked in one shoulder and one aimed head shot :laughing
second most favorite part of the day? the people!

#64 ·
Nothing worse then trippin over your mags......but when the real shooting started and everybody had 5 mags on the ground, it became a bit much. I could only hold so many mags in my hand, though i didnt realized how hard it was for Pirate to bend down and pick his up....and pushing them in the rear pocket of the guys was OK, , Artemis- wasn’t gonna go there...!!!! but still not much room when full mags are in the rear pockets..

#65 ·
Nothing worse then trippin over your mags......but when the real shooting started and everybody had 5 mags on the ground, it became a bit much. I could only hold so many mags in my hand, though i didnt realized how hard it was for Pirate to bend down and pick his up....and pushing them in the rear pocket of the guys was OK, , Artemis- wasn't gonna go there...!!!! but still not much room when full mags are in the rear pockets..
Wise move, especially with a pistol in her hand and likely a blade somewhere! :grin

#70 ·
I would like to make a suggestion for a future class if there is another one.

I understand it’s a safety thing and all but, would it be possible to allow those who the Instructor and RSOs know to be proficient enough with their firearm to draw from concealment?

I have learned a lot from just two classes and I’m grateful for it. The only thing on my mind going home that bothered me a little was the fact that I was not practicing drawing from concealment in a live fire drill. I can draw all day long at home but, I feel it will be more benefiting with a live fire drill.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? Rick? RSOs? Your thoughts on this subject?

#75 · (Edited)
I've done every class and every drill drawing from concealment. It is the main reason I go to these. I know I can hit what I'm aiming at. But since none of the ranges here including Gator allow fire from the draw these classes are the only things that allow me to work on that. I reminded myself to ask what my time to first shot was both times we did the multiple drill but forgot to ask after doing it.
I would also add that maybe it should be suggested people bring and use guns they carry or actually use for EDC/SD.
Full size guns in open front holsters uncovered make things much easier than using your possibly smaller EDC from concealment. I think it would benefit everyone if they actually used and shot what they carry on a daily basis.
The scoop draw was mentioned but not addressed in this last one. I utilized it the entire time.
And since I was shooting a single stack gun with 8rnd mags amd fired over 650rnds that's about 81 reloads I also got good work on. I feel my draw from concealment as well as reload speed is tuned up after having done this last class as they have been after each one.
I didn't feel more bold afterward but I did feel better prepared for my every day routines.

#71 ·
I'm with you on that Caleb. I've attend three classes over the years, and drawing from concealed was permitted. If I can ever be less busy I want/need to go back for a refresher; and, would like to be able to draw from concealed. But, it is up to Rick and the RSO's.

#73 ·
Drawing from concealment is allowed....with the consent of the instructor. I have had several people in my classes draw from concealment and they usually do not do it for the whole class. That being said....I will not let it slow the line for the rest of the students. New students are a no...they need to concentrate on handling the skills. ebl

#81 ·
Ok, my mistake. For some reason I was under the impression that it was not allowed. I guess I should of asked. Thanks.

#77 · (Edited)
The scoop draw was mentioned but not addressed in this last one.

Boo hoo. I thought it was listed on the curriculum. I didn't cover it in every course of fire initially till one of the students asked me to cover it. Then it got added to the list of skills for the weekend.

Here is the scoop draw in the event some would like to practice it on their own

#82 ·
I used it the whole day. I remember my first class with you I was doing the typical two handed draw with one clearing the shirt while the other drew the gun. You corrected me and for the last half of the class I drew one handed. The last two classes I used the scoop and did all draws one handed. :thumsup

#84 ·
Just my thoughts:

The scoop draw is best perfected and 100's of draws are done in front of a mirror. If you want to step that training up some , use a laser lite in your pistol. After all that training on this one specific part is done and you want to put it all together in live fire is great.

Each training class is meant to target a specific area to improve on , mainly point of impact is where point of look is in different positions including reloads. Having someone over your shoulder making that happen is what it all about. Not working on what should be perfected at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.