Florida Concealed Carry banner

M2.0- belly up!

6K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Caleb 
#1 ·
Went out back yesterday to do some shooting. Got everything set up and was ready to start the day with a bang.
Instead, it started with a click. Chambered another round. same thing. Checked the primers on both rounds. Not a mark on either one. I knew immediately I had a broken striker.
Pushed out the back retainer plate and removed the striker assembly,and sure enough a briken firing pin,right on the very tip.
Smith&Wesson is closed for the thanksgiving holidays until Monday.I can't help but wonder what problems I will encounter getting them to send me this part. After a two month wait for a simple baseplate for a .45 Shield I pretty much know what to expect. So,it's Thanksgiving day and I'm thankful I discovered this at a range session and not suddenly when my life depended on it. There were no indications that this had occurred prior to the start of the range session.
So,what's the temporary solution while I deal with sloooww S&W service? Why, DEUTCH WAGRAM of course. In almost a quarter century of hard use,HARD use, never an issue. And, I can drive to HQ in Smyrna in less than an hour and a half in heavy traffic.
In short,this should not have happened with a pistol that has less than 700 rounds through it. Very discouraging with a gun that I really like a lot. Depending on how this goes, the G guns may end up being the permanent solution.
Yep.I'm *****in'.

See less See more
#2 ·
The ONLY source for a firing pin is directly from S&W? No aftermarket parts?

I'm no gunsmith, but how in the world does a firing pin break??? And, after 700 rounds?

I had to google "Deutch Wagram." :) Didn't get the reference.

After some 8,000+ rounds, my G19 trigger spring broke (replaced in about 2 minutes for about $3 by a gunsmith at the LGS). After EIGHT THOUSAND rounds. :)

#4 ·
Wow, that really blows, DocH! Like brownie, I wonder if it was an outsourced part. Found a few hits on a google of M&P firing pin failure" but a lot. Perhaps an aftermarket firing pin from APEX or stock firing pin from Brownells would be quicker, but maybe you want it repaired under warranty since it only had 700 rounds through it. :dunno

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving! :pistols

#5 ·
Ah... so there are aftermarket parts. Here's what would come to my mind about replacing it with an OEM part: I'd worry about the same problem happening again. I certainly wouldn't trust it for EDC.

#8 ·
Can't dissagree there.

#9 ·
#12 ·
Yes,either of those could cause the problem. No dry firing as live fire is no issue sround here, but I've never done that anyway. Thanks for the Numrich link,sir.:thumsup

#10 ·
Racer, a metallurgical issue is my guess too and probably an outsourced part too, as suggested. S&w site only lists the locations of warranty repair stations in foreign countries. In the US you have to call CS to get one near you. Good suggestion on Brownell's, probably a lot faster service, and I'd gladly pay for the part just to get it fast.
Then again, I could send it to the warranty repair station in Australia and probably get it back sooner than from S&W. :grin Maybe a Gen 5 is in my future. A G45? Most likely a G19,the old standby. M2.0 compact is a great shooting pistol and a perfect fit for me, but I have to trust a carry implicitly, as we all do. Thanks for the responses and suggestions.:thumsup

#24 ·
Put roughly 800 to 900 rounds through the 2.0 Compact in the last Threat Focused class with no issues. Have never had an issue with my Shield 9, gen1 FS 9, or the VTac 9. Hopefully, it was a fluke or just that lot of strikers was faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I like the apex angle. Fast repair for you though u have to pay for it. But the parts are very good from apex.

#14 ·
last two suggestions noted for reference. It appears Brownell's has the striker assembly. If it's the correct one I'll buy one from them and call S&W Monday to see if I can get one sent out under warranty. Failing either of those I will check the other sources mentioned. I want to have a spare in case it happens again. Thanks to all.

#16 ·
Always have a BUG daily, I carry a Sig P250sc and a Kahr .380. Anything mechanical can and will fail eventually.

#17 ·
I have two of the striker assemblies on the way from Brownell's. Their price was exactly half of what other vendors were asking. SSS showed out of stock and Midway was double on the price of them at Brownell's. I will call S&Won Monday when they reopen and try to get one sent out under warranty.
Never a bad idea to start a spare parts kit like I did with Glocks, for field expedient repairs. As 45 Freak said,anything can break, and I now am viewing this as an unfortunate fluke, but we'll see how it goes after I get the parts.
I would also like to acknowledge a very kind offer by The Fish made by PM. Good folks here are what really make this such a great forum. :thumsup

#18 ·
Hummm.... not good.
Let's hope it was just a fluke.

My brother recently purchased his first gun: An M&P Shield 2.0 compact in 9mm.
(And did so with my blessing, I might add.)

He liked the way it felt in his hands, and I didn't want to talk him into something he ultimately wouldn't like - I'm a Glock fan boy myself.
And he wanted a manual safety.

I had not heard of any problems with S&W Shield, so saw no reason to even hesitate when he was finally ready to take the plunge on gun ownership.
Since then, I'm happy to report he's applied for his CCW, and taken a couple one-on-one courses with an NRA Instructor.
Of course, if his M&P firing pin ever fails, I'll probably never hear the end of it. :)

Good luck with the repairs!!
It's such a popular platform, it's hard to believe there would be systemic problems with it.

#19 ·
We have two 9mm Shields and I have a .45 Shield. No such problems with any of them over several years. The .45 Shield is annoying at times when the locking block spring pops out of it's groove on takedown, but it's a minor annoyance and the thing runs like a freight train clean or dirty.
He should be very pleased with the Shield over the long haul.

#25 ·
Since replacing the striker assembly,I have had no further issues. Lots more rounds through the gun (havn't kept a count) and it keeps getting better.:thumsup

#27 · (Edited)
I’ve never had a striker (or any other part) failure with any of my M&P’s since the first bought back in 2007.

S&W will send you out a replacement for free.

I’ve actually got free striker and recoil assemblies from S&W by calling in, giving them the serial number, and saying “I have a really high round count M&P that I use for EDC,” but I’ve never had to replace one yet.

#28 ·
Yeah Rick, I got one pretty fast from S&W, but also went ahead and bought two of them from Brownells. I now have a spare recoil spring assembly, just a start of the spare parts kit. The pistol is running fine, very accurate, and really not very much larger than the 45 Shield, at least that's my perception. I'm getting a lot of rounds thru it, but I'll probably die before the gun does.

#29 ·
That previous post gave me a scary post count number , so I'm making this one just to change that number. I believe in bad omens.

#31 ·
Didn't take a photo,but it was just the firing pin itself that was broken off right at the front portion of the striker assembly.

#32 ·
I’ll have to take mine apart one day and inspect the striker to see if there are any signs of future failure. I don’t count rounds anymore but, i guesstimate roughly >1500 rounds fired with not one failure.

#33 · (Edited)
Caleb, I'm really not counting rounds anymore either, but I would guesstimate I'm at about that same amount since the striker replacement. I really don't expect any further issues. It was just a very odd occurance, and probably not a consistent problem
I'm confident enough at this point that I am carrying the pistol, alternating with the 45 Shield.

#34 ·
Yep, I haven’t heard anything about a huge failure issues with the 2.0 line. Stuff happens but, you are up and running well now. Good to hear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.