What is the turret click value on your scope... REALLY? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What is the turret click value on your scope... REALLY?

Shooters MOA, lmao..... really? Well, now you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _

**FIGHT WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE FLYING**

COTEP 717

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Shooters MOA, lmao..... really? Well, now you know.

What they actually mean is it’s a IPHY. But whatever makes them sleep at night. As I said.
    BTTBBOB
    President & Chief Instructor
    South Florida Gun School
    www.sflagunschool.com
    Facebook Page- South Florida Gun School

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense."
    - John Adams
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

What does it calculate out to range? Say 1k

Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    Good question. I think my previous calculations (for the discrepancy) were incorrectly done, overstating the difference.

So... let's figure this out.

So, if my scope is dead-on, and there's no wind, and the weather is exactly the same as my zeroing weather, and the ballistics calculator is perfect, AND I'm a perfect shooter... theoretically, the bullet will land square in the x-ring at 1,000 yards:

I punched that into Strelok with two turret click values.

When set at the factory-claimed 0.25-MOA, it tells me to dial 154 clicks, which is 38.500-MOA.
    When set at the corrected click value of 0.244-MOA, it tells me to dial 158 clicks, which is 38.552-MOA.

So, that's a difference of 0.052-MOA. That works out to 0.545-inches... a half inch at 1,000 yards!

In other words, negligible in the case of my scope. I think I got it right. Think. Not 100% sure.
    Resurrecting an old thread. OK... I got this wrong again. See? I can admit I'm wrong! Sometimes!

I start thinking about things randomly and spontaneously. But, a thread on the Strelok Users Group on Facebook got me thinking about this.

So... 154 clicks at a value of .25-MOA is 38.5-MOA. Strelok is calculating that my elevation (due to bullet drop) needs to be 38-1/2 MOA to be on target at 1,000 yards.

When Strelok accounts for the corrected 0.244-MOA click value, it increases the number of "clicks" to 158... or 4 more clicks. The total MOA is effectively the same. Duh! The correction in MOA HAS to be the same, right? The difference of 0.052 is like fractions of a penny. It's effectively the same. 38-1/2 MOA is the elevation correction for that distance, no matter what your turret click value is. The only thing a turret click value discrepancy can change is the number of "clicks." Make sense?

So, to answer Caleb's question... the difference caused by the turret value discrepancy is about 10 inches or 1-MOA at 1,000 yards. Four more clicks at a 0.244-MOA click value is 0.976-MOA. Or four clicks at 0.25-MOA per click = 1-MOA.

Put another way... If I had not validated my turret click value, I would be off by about 1-MOA or 10 inches at 1,000 yards. So, if I had not validated my turret click value and left it at the default of 1/4-MOA / click in my calculator, I would have dialed 154 clicks. But, since my click value is actually 0.244-MOA, that would have yielded an actual elevation change of 37.576-MOA... or rounded off, about 37-1/2 MOA. The correct elevation is 38-1/2 MOA. So, I would have impacted about 1-MOA low on the target (or about 10 inches) at 1,000 yards. Making sense?

How I missed this is.... well... a bit embarrassing!

That's fairly significant at that distance. Obviously, it becomes less significant at shorter distances.

I'm pretty sure I got it right this time! LOL!
    Last edited by racer88; 02-02-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

That’s enough to miss low at range! I asked that question because it made sense in my head but, could not figure it out (not mathematically inclined). Thanks for clearing it up.

COTEP 717

That’s enough to miss low at range! I asked that question because it made sense in my head but, could not figure it out (not mathematically inclined). Thanks for clearing it up.

Yep. The difference between a hit and a miss! A 2.4% (.25 to .244 MOA / click) discrepancy adds up over a longer distance.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    Yep. The difference between a hit and a miss! A 2.4% (.25 to .244 MOA / click) discrepancy adds up over a longer distance.
    Absolutely.

COTEP 717

What does it calculate out to range? Say 1k

9.67 at a 1000 vs 10.47
    BTTBBOB
    President & Chief Instructor
    South Florida Gun School
    www.sflagunschool.com
    Facebook Page- South Florida Gun School

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense."
    - John Adams
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Sposors