Florida Concealed Carry banner

Semi Auto Shotgun for home defense?

6K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  Caleb 
#1 ·
I just bought a new home and it will be finished next May.I own a sig p320 9mm but was considering a shotgun for home defense. I read that the mossberg 930 is a decent home defense weapon hickok45 liked it. Does anyone have any advice as to what they use for home defense and some suggestions (pistol shotgun or otherwise) My new property is about 1/2 an acre and the back of my property backs up to a national park (will be fenced though) I am open to any and all suggestions .

#4 ·
About the only semi-auto shotgun I would trust for home defense would be a Benelli...but they are pricey. The Remington 1100s I've owned and used were just too finicky to be relied upon for defensive use. And I'm not even sure I'd want a current production Remington, either pump or auto, as their QC has declined considerably in recent years. Probably better off with a Mossberg 500/590 at this point. FWIW.

#7 ·
What do you mean by finicky?

#6 ·
Just looking for a decent shotgun for home defense.A Benelli while beautiful is out of my price range atm (new home and new appliances take priority) I would like to keep it under $800. I figured a shotgun provides both a visual and mental deterrent.

#8 ·
Mossberg 500 pump or a Remington 870 pump. I also like a couple of the older shotguns, Winchester Model 12 or Ithaca Model 37. My personal home defense shotgun is a Winchester Model 12. I like it that I can hold down the trigger and it will fire every time I shuck a fresh shell into it. My personal preference is to use #4 buck, but you will find there is some disagreement on the forum as to the best ammo, #00 has its share of proponents as well.

#11 ·
100% agree. Mine is a Moss 500 with 8rd tube loaded with #4 buck.

I’ve only had one semi-auto shotgun and that was a CZ 712. It ate any light birdshot I fed it so, it should of technically ran anything more potent. Unfortunately, I traded it off (wish I hadn’t).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Another vote for a Mossberg 500 or 590 pump. Not one single failure in the 33 years I've owned mine. Great reliable, relatively inexpensive shotgun.

#30 ·
Can’t go wrong with mossberg. Martin county sheriff standard vehicle equipment. I have a marine 500 with surefire forend, #4 buck also good choice....I like the benelli too. Bought an M1 in the 90’s and never had a problem with it. Back then it was advertised as the fastest shotgun in the world. You could empty the tube before the first shell hit the ground.

#14 ·
Yes, I agree #4 is arguably better for HD shotgun. IMHO, I'd rather not have any of the eight or nine .32 cal balls flying through the walls if they don't all hit the bad guy in my house.

#16 ·
I bought a new 1100 20 years ago for shooting bowling pins, I had problems at first until I opened up the gas ports with a jet drillbit. Just a little bit to clean out the bit of blueing left in there in manufacture. I mostly ran lower power shells to keep the barrel down by reducing recoil never had any more problems and still have the gun.

#19 ·
Here's my version of the ideal non-SBS home defense shotgun: A Remington 870 with an 18", IC fixed choke Police barrel, XS Big Dot tritium express sights, a Tac-Star Sidesaddle, a Surefire 6V fore-end light, a Wilson +2 magazine extension and a Magpul SGA stock.

Gun Rifle Shotgun Trigger Air gun

Of course, if 12 gauge doesn't do the trick, I have a pair of 10 gauge shotguns as backup. :grin

Gun Firearm Shotgun Rifle Trigger

#22 ·
Here's my version of the ideal non-SBS home defense shotgun: A Remington 870 with an 18", IC fixed choke Police barrel, XS Big Dot tritium express sights, a Tac-Star Sidesaddle, a Surefire 6V fore-end light, a Wilson +2 magazine extension and a Magpul SGA stock.

View attachment 61039

Of course, if 12 gauge doesn't do the trick, I have a pair of 10 gauge shotguns as backup. :grin

View attachment 61041
Nice set up!

#20 ·
I would like to stick to semi. But then again, been 5 years without making the decision.

#24 ·

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I did heard you the first time, Pig, many moons ago :grin but I also promised myself not to buy another firearm without personally trying it first. Local range/friends not available for this kind. But I have this first on my list as per your advice. I hasn't been available for testing.

PS: yeah...I know you'll hurry to volunteer a test drive..... :rolleyes:

#29 ·
Personally I prefer pumps for HD simply because if one does the trick I don't have to worry about a semi autoloading another round into the chamber. If I need a second or third I can send em. But if one works than the gun stays unchambered and safe to set down without really worrying about having a live round chambered to deal with.

#33 · (Edited)
This is my HD Shotgun setup ..... Moss 500 20” cylinder barrel with 8 shot mag loaded with #4 buckshot, currently residing in a Magpul stock and forend, Velcro side saddle with extra #4 buck. Cruiser ready as I don’t like manual safeties and I don’t feel comfortable with one in the chamber and no safety engaged (just in case my better half has to move or use it).

Pics were taken before the stock and forend was changed.

This is the stock that’s on it now (generic google pic for visual)

#36 ·
I've had a Mossy 930 SPX for a number of years now. Never had an issue with it. After it had been fired a lot it began to function well with the Federal Flight control 00 buck. Really tight patterning load,and this combo is basically what I rely on at night here on this farm. I would avoid the pistol grip models and go as I did with the straight stock due to the location of the safety, but that's a personal choice. Really good weapon.
The 590 is also a great choice,and of course , being a pump, not finicky about different loads.

#38 ·
A shotgun isn't my first choice but I do keep one easily accessable. It's a Semi and a turkish one, I don't count rounds and never have but it has been absolutely flawless. I have complete faith in it and don't need to worry about short stroking it under stress.

#39 ·
I would not have a problem having my benelli hangin out on the side of my bed. Never had a issue with it in 15 years or so....I’d rather have that then my 500 marine pump.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.