Florida Concealed Carry banner

Anyone up for some rifle range time at PBSO this weekend?

61K views 621 replies 19 participants last post by  Rick McC. 
#1 ·
I missed the range date two weeks ago (was out of town). They're open to the public again this coming weekend.

I haven't confirmed with wifey-poo (aka CINCHOME). But, I should be good to go for Sat (100 yards) / Sun (200 yards).

Anyone want to meet up? :grin

#2 ·
Can I come with a handgun?:laughing
Yeah... they explicitly (in their range rules) don't allow handguns.

But, you're welcome to come shoot one of my rifles! :grin

#3 ·
Would love to and I might get back in time Friday. Have to check on son's work schedule to know for sure.

#6 ·
I still plan on putting together a GTG closer to you. Just give my pockets some time to recover from the vacation and I will set something up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Looks like I'm good to go for both Saturday and Sunday. I'll be there when they open. :grin

#8 ·
I'll be there tomorrow! Bringing the SCAR-16, FS2000, and RPR 6.5CM.

#10 ·
I didn't get back in time for Saturday but planning on going tomorrow for the 200 yard Sunday.

#11 ·
It was a good day at the range. A bit cooler than last time, but still freakin' hot by the end of the session. Only 8 shooters showed up at 8am. Then it petered down to 2 of us, then 4-5 more guys showed up. But, then I left (about 11am). I was beat.

Had a good session. Played with some different ammo in the RPR. My best group was with "cheap" factory ammo! Then my last target was with the SCAR-16S. Will post target pics after I've processed them. :grin

#12 ·
Here are my obligatory target pics!

My best group was with the cheapest factory ammo. Go figure!

It was not as hot as a month ago... but, it was HOT.

I started with confirming my zero with the Copper Creek custom ammo:

Then I switched to Federal Gold Medal Berger 130-gr.

With this target, I did not change the turrets. Note that the groups are consistently about an inch (1-moa) low.

Did 3 more groups without touching the turrets. Then on the last group (lower right), I made the adjustment. I entered the offset in Strelok. So now, when I use this ammo, Strelok will automatically give me the right turret settings.

Last target with the RPR was with Hornady Black (cheaper factory 6.5CM). Did the same thing, entering the vertical and horizontal offset in Strelok:

Took out the SCAR-16. Open sights. Not bad for old eyes.

#14 ·
Very nice

#15 ·
OP, when you're using irons, do you use a 6 O clock hold? If not, try it, your groups will be much tighter with a constant reference point.

When I shoot the M1a with irons, I go to that 6Oclock hold and find that constant reference point really tightens the groups.

#16 · (Edited)
In this case, I was lining the top of the front sight with the center of the red bullseye. So, I could see (sort of) the top half of the red bullseye above the top edge of the front sight.

If I "lollipopped" the entire red bullseye on the front sight, I would have been dead on, eh? :) Well... and a bit to the left. Next time! Thanks!

#20 ·
Had fun meeting up with BeerHunter. The firing line was at 200 yards today. It was a nice day, but the heat eventually got to us, and it was time for lunch! :)

I played with three flavors of ammo. Funny thing... It seems that regardless of the ammo, I have some great groups and some not-so-great groups. To really come up with a true winner, I think I'd have to run the numbers through a spreadsheet and get some averages. It's not obvious (to me) that one stands out. Though, I think if I was testing at longer distances, I might see some more obvious differences.

And, now for the traditional bearing of my ballistic soul... :grin First... every group I shot was sub-MOA! Holy cow. I guess I should be happy with that. Some were around 1/2-MOA. I had a few fliers that I called.

The view!

First up was my custom loaded ammo from Copper Creek (Hornady ELD 140-gr bullet):

Then it was on to factory Hornady ELD Match 140-gr:

Last was Federal Gold Medal Match Berger 130-gr:

#23 · (Edited)
Yes. RPR. I've noticed that, too. But, I didn't know if it was the gun getting hot, or ME getting hot (and tired). :)

That said... my target pics above are in order. And, two of my sub-1/2-MOA groups were on the last target (with Berger 130-gr, which USED to not work that well for me in this rifle). Gun was fairly hot by then.

So, here's the weird thing. In the beginning... almost a year ago, when I got this rifle... the ammo seemed to make more of a difference. Now, as I'm getting better (?), the ammo doesn't seem to make as much of a difference.

Is it because my skills are improving and converging with the limits of the barrel? My buddy (who is a very accomplished competitive rifle dude - NRA Distinguished Rifleman) thinks that I'll see even more improvement with a better barrel (Krieger or Bartlein).

Anyway... I just thought it was remarkable that I'm not seeing as much difference with different flavors of ammo as I "should" be seeing.

PS... I've got 1,650 rounds through this rifle (got it last Christmas).

#24 · (Edited)
OK... so this is interesting. I just determined the averages of the group sizes for each ammo.

Copper Creek custom load (with Hornady ELD-M 140-gr bullet): 0.721-MOA. (sample: 8 groups)

Factory Hornady ELD-M 140-gr: 0.721-MOA. <--not a typo... EXACTLY the same as the custom loads (sample: 5 groups)

Factory Federal Gold Medal Match Berger 130-gr: 0.649-MOA. (sample: 4 groups)

The weird thing was that when I started out with the RPR, trying various ammo flavors, the Federal GMM Bergers did not do as well as the Hornady ELDs. Now they're better???

#25 ·
Had a good day at the PBSO range today with racer. I'll try to post targets soon and can only wish my groups were consistent. With only 220 rounds through the barrel on the stock borrowed from Bob Harvey (need to bring that back ASAP, Bob!) and 170 rounds on the Bell & Carlson I mounted last month, I'm sure I'm still working on my rifleman skills and need more training. :rifle

#26 ·
So funny... can always tell when one of us sends that flyer... grumbling and the occasional, "D'OH!"

Was fun hanging out with you as always. The best part was making fun of Caleb behind his back. That's what happens when you wuss out! ;)

#32 ·
Will be interesting to see what it’ll shoot with that new load. Perhaps you are at a point where distance is the deciding factor....? In other words, test the loads at further distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Yep. I've considered that, as well. The problem around here (as you know) is a lack of longer distance ranges. :) Eventually, I'm going to try to get a range date at the Port Malabar club (600-yards).

The only thing about comparing different loads (for groups) at the longer distances is having wind as an additional variable.

For now, 200 yards is the best distance I can get on a somewhat regular / convenient basis.

#35 ·
Even though I understand the fundamentals, I'm thinking I'd like to find an Appleseed course shooting with iron sights, which I don't have nearly enough experience with, IMHO. I also want to take Bob's rifle fundamentals and advanced courses, culminating with his weekend long range rifle course. Right now I'm not sure I'm consistently getting the basics right for every shot.

#39 ·
BTW, PBSO will be open again NEXT weekend. I'll be there, of course. :grin

I'll be testing a new load development pack on Sunday (200 yards). But, I'll be there on Saturday (100 yards), too.

#40 ·
Unfortunately I'm out of town that 3-4 November weekend but I may be available that 17-18 November weekend for the 100 & 300 yard firing line that Saturday and Sunday, respectively. :dunno

#42 ·
Nov 3 -4.

#45 ·
To measure the groups? I use OnTarget TDS. Pretty nifty program, once you get the hang of it. Sure... you can measure your groups with a caliper and do it manually. But, I like the "hi-tech" way.

I previously tried a phone app that does the same thing, "Range Buddy Pro." But, I found it cumbersome to do with a phone touch screen. I like doing it on a laptop with a mouse much better.

There are two versions of the program, "OnTarget PC" and "OnTargetTDS." Check'em out!

https://ontargetshooting.com/

Hope that helps! :grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.