Florida Concealed Carry banner

How many FCWL holders actually carry on a daily basis ?

10K views 77 replies 40 participants last post by  rayman 
#1 · (Edited)
Statistics say that there are 1.3 million CWL holders in Fl. I've always wondered how many of them actually carry on a daily basis? In my experience talking to people who are gun friendly, probably a smaller percentage than I originally thought. I think people who apply for their permit have good intentions to carry, but after the fact there are too many inconveniences for them to follow thru. Some of the things that I have heard are;

* often times you have to dress differently
* can't find a holster that is comfortable to wear all day, and carrying hinders my comfort level
* family is not comfortable with it
* it can dictate where I can go
* can't carry at work

EDC can bring some inconveniences, however over time its the same as first learning to carry a wallet. I think that for many it's just inconvenient and maybe intimidated to carry daily. A lack of training and knowledge probably are the culprits.

I have found that most of them leave the gun in their car or at home and they think they are safer than before, which has some truth to it, but we can't dictate when we will need to defend ourselves!
My guess is that about 20% or so actually carry daily - maybe less!

See less See more
#38 ·
I too would guess that the number of permit holders that diligently carry is rather low. I do not leave my house without a firearm. Pretty much ever.

Regarding the previously posted list of obstacles:

1. often times you have to dress differently
  2. can't find a holster that is comfortable to wear all day, and carrying hinders my comfort level
  3. family is not comfortable with it
  4. it can dictate where I can go
  5. can't carry at work

1. I can carry pretty much no matter how I'm dressed. I might have to compromise on the gun in some cases (like maybe carrying a NAA .22 Mag instead of a more suitable gun), but there's always something you can carry.

2. Admittedly sometimes carrying a gun can be a little uncomfortable. I understand being stabbed and shot are also uncomfortable. Being dead isn't uncomfortable, but is still less desirable than a little holster discomfort.

3. Couldn't care less what the family is or isn't comfortable with.

4. Only if you let it. There aren't many places that are off limits and most of those places you can leave it in your car if need be.

5. If you can't carry at work that's one thing, but you can carry to and from work as Florida employers are required by law to let employees keep firearms in their vehicles on company property (with very few exceptions).

#41 ·
Every day rain or shine.
Alternate between H&K VP9sk and Ruger LC9s during hot days.
During our very cold days here in Florida when wearing a long sleeve shirt or coat then I alternate between Glock 19 G4 & H&K VP9.
Go to range every 2 weeks using whichever gun I am carrying. Clean after every range time.

#46 ·
My primary reason for getting my permit was to forego the 3 day waiting period. When I obtained my permit I only had long arm experience and had only recently purchased my SR22. I've since gotten decent at shooting and handling a pistol so I bought a true carry gun, an EC9s. I intend to carry more often, I am already carrying every day. Unfortunately I am forbidden from carrying at work, so I leave it in my vehicle.

However, I was carrying my Kershaw Scallion every day long before I got my permit. It's a practical tool, and I use it as such nearly every day. I almost had to use it for defense once. Luckily the aggressive party was stopped by store security before it escalated (attempted to start a fight then began to follow me into the parking lot as I retreated).

#48 · (Edited)
I carry if I am leaving my home.
After that the choice is if I leave the car with my EDC.

When my EDC stays in my Car:

1) I visit my Brothers home..he does not like guns so I promised him I would NEVER carry at his home.

2) If I am doing a job outside that is overly strenuous such as on my knees repairing sprinkler heads & pipes (in ground) sweating & water. (though that does not happen a lot)
In other words if I'm outside where I can get very wet and sweating profusely under the Florida Sun...I don't want it all over my EDC.
Not to mention that where this kind of work takes place I am virtually alone with no people around, someone would really have to specifically be searching me out.
As far as I know no one wants to harm me. LOL

3) The usual places where guns are not allowed.

If I am not carrying my EDC out of the car then my EDC goes into a unlock-able glove box.
I have of late been checking out vehicle gun safe's for my car.

Other than that my EDC goes with me.

#49 ·
2) If I am doing a job outside that is overly strenuous such as on my knees repairing sprinkler heads & pipes (in ground) sweating & water. (though that does not happen a lot)
In other words if I'm outside where I can get very wet and sweating profusely under the Florida Sun...I don't want it all over my EDC.
Not to mention that where this kind of work takes place I am virtually alone with no people around, someone would really have to specifically be searching me out.
As far as I know no one wants to harm me. LOL
I recently got over being concerned with sweating all over my carry gun - it wasn't easy, lol. I think what allowed me to finally accept it was at one of the defensive pistol courses I take, I not only did I sweat all over the gun, it got covered in dirt. We had a section of the course shooting from our back, and the gun made it to the ground when it ran empty, and I thought I was going to puke. Ha. To my surprise, the gun (G19) didn't miss a beat. It actually spit dirt and debris out of the barrel on the first shot after the dirt bath. Anyway, problem solved.

#51 ·
No safe queens here!

#53 ·
I wish I could carry at work. Its a security to have a sidearm. However my company does not allow, nor even to have in your car on property. To me it is a decision of what is the best most practical security, and staying employed outweighs breaking their rules. So, sadly I do not carry to or from work or while at work. The rest of the time I carry. There are times when I forget, usually if rush home to go out with family to dinner but not often. I don't find it that inconvenient to carry, and even in florida, between my two carry guns I can always have something on me.

#58 ·
"mall ninja" HAHAHA, that line is now stolen and added to my vocabulary!!

I use to work on a military installation, active duty, then contractor. As much as I hated it, that's a big no no, so I didn't carry. Now I work from home and very rarely go on to the installation, so my EDC stays on me whenever I leave the house. It's now so common place my youngest daughter knows to hold my right hand because my left hand needs to be free.

Being one that sweats a lot, and living in Florida, I pretty much got over sweating on my EDC pretty fast. I did change to a leather backed IWB holster with a kydex mold attached to it. It helps a lot for those that tend to sweat more than others.

#61 ·
I can't take credit for the term mall ninja, its been around for some time and there are actually a few humurous videos on Mall Ninjas and some threads on forums that can provide amusement.

I am a transplant from the southwest and my body never acclimated to humidity so I sweat a ton out here. My kydex holster covers the full side pressed against my body and I give my carry a loving oily wipe from time to time and make sure nothing wrong. No rust ever on it.

Just curious..does your company have the authority to searchyour vehicle or it is company issued?
I had that searching possibility for a while until it was fought up to changing the Admin. Orders and allow weapons in the vehicles.. Still when driving around in the company car is not allowed so its a moot point anyways... But something is something specially if one works late and/or live afar...

....from phone
Hi Barbie,
Its not a company issued car and no one has the right to search my car without a warrant or probable cause (and you better be LE) so if they ever asked if they could search my car I would flat out tell them "no, its personal property". Being a right to work state could end up with termination. I have worked for this company for some time and they have never asked me to search it or submitted me to any random drug testing (I don't do drugs, not my thing). The only way I could see them ever wanting to search my car is if perhaps I chose to break their corporate policy and carried, somehow I printed or someone saw the gun somehow and said something to HR. Then maybe they would ask to search me and my car. I would refuse either request.

Like I said, maybe I will start leaving one in the car (but it makes me uncomfortable thinking about a gun in a car all day, even if its secured in a safe and tethered), one of these days.

#63 ·
If my company said that they wanted to search my car, and then attempted any sort of discipline because I refused, I would quit. To me, that is clear proof that it's a bad job, and a bad company. That is not the sort of company that I am willing to work for.

Of course, I understand that some people do not feel like they can afford to quit a bad job, or a bad company. They need the work and fear that they would not be able to find another job in a reasonable amount of time, if ever. Maybe I'm fortunate that I was laid off from a job very early in life, and learned very young that there is always other work out there, if you're willing to go and find it.

Still, like I said, I understand and can sympathize with people who do not feel this way.

#64 ·
I agree in, in principle. I would not want to work for such a company, and I would leave if I were able to do so (perhaps even if I shouldn't, for financial reasons). And i would not want to remain in the same situation where worse things might happen to me. That said, I might not leave immediately. I'd want to ensure that by quitting, I'm not giving up any right or interest in any legal proceedings against the firm. As long as I'm still able to sue the buggers or bring charges against them for what happened, then I'd leave. If I have to go, then I'm takin' a few of them with me...

#66 ·
You two are right but... It depends on the employer. The last 17 years had been complicated for companies involved with public safety and/or national security, so yes, there are extenuating circumstances for search. Specially during 2001-2012ish. And also it all depends of conditions of employment. :dunno

#68 ·
I meet a lot of gun owners here in fl. in my travels, and I've not meet one yet that carrys daily. They say they have their FCWL, and carry, but when you go a little further with questions, it soon becomes apparent that they keep the gun in their car and not on their person.

#69 ·
Its not a perfect scenario but it is one that I deal with. As said, I may start keeping one in the car but for now I do not. I work in a pretty decent area and a wide open parking lot with security. I have never felt uncomfortable arriving or departing my work. Its just how I prioritize and assess risk vs reward. Because they have never asked to search me or my car I may start doing so but I don't feel I have too. I know there are people who feel they have to carry all the time, and thats great and I support that. For me, I carry as often as possible, even at home; for instance I am hanging out back having a cigar. I just got done cleaning and lubing my firearms and my sidearm is right here on my hip. I carry almost all the time besides en route to work and from work. Another reason for that which I have not mentioned is because I drop my kids off at school and don't really want to make my 5 year old son walk across the street on his own because daddy can't drive on or go on property with a firearm. I follow the rule of law.

I may not carry 100% of the time but since getting my CCW I carry a whole lot more, so it is a drastic improvement. Honestly I do not like NOT having my sidearm with me, but its not the end of the world those few times when I do not.

#70 ·
Totally understand your situation. I had to temporarily for a few months leave my gun at home because of work issues and my only concern was all the morons ( road ragers ) on the road. There have been a few instances in last couple months of people being shot, and shot at because of road ragers. A guy I talked to today said he lightly beeped his horn at someone on their phone sitting at a green light and the guy got behind him, followed him and pulled up to him at the next light and started spitting on his car and calling him out for a confrontation. Lot of unstable people out there. People like that should have their license taken away for a while to let them think about their social behavior!

#75 ·
Am I breathing? I am carrying since I was 17.

#76 ·
^^^^
This, except I have to modify that to I'm not carrying a "firearm" when I'm working on my Federal facility, but I'm never without other, alternative weapons of SD. :grin

#78 ·
I don't keep my gun on me at home, live in a condo, it's always within easy reach. That's one of the reasons I love the Panther holster. Off and on in a few seconds without ever taking gun out of holster. I never venture outside without gun on and if have company, I wear it, so it doesn't need to be put away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.