Beggars at gas stations, stores, and at traffic lights ? - Page 17
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Beggars at gas stations, stores, and at traffic lights ?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
    I got approached last weekend in the parking lot at our local Costco by a middle aged female with two young kids stating she needed gas money to make it home with her kids. I said sorry, i don't have any cash (which I didn't and usually don't anymore). She said that's ok, pulled out her iPhone and a Cube and said I can swipe your card......I apologized again and said due to fraud concerns, i don't give out my credit cards to strangers. She told me to "F**k Off".
    Wow, and after politely telling her "no" twice, to have her make such a comment, she just proved your point!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Distinguished Member bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    I don't see it as retreat at all. And, it's not cover nor concealment. They can still see you. Retreating would be turning and running. Which is not necessarily a bad idea for many people. The best way to win a fight is to not be there.

It's the smart use of DISTANCE and a simple barrier. The WORST thing I can think of doing is NOT MOVING. Holy moly. Let them close the distance?? Out of what? PRIDE?? Bravado? Tueller would not agree with that, either. Let them get within striking, grappling, or stabbing distance? No freakin' way. Sorry, but I could not disagree more.

Putting the car between me and the suspected perp is also an effective test of his intent. If he proceeds to approach me AROUND the car, it's Condition Red time. An innocent beggar or person seeking directions to a destination isn't going to do that.
    what you think and what they think are two distinctly different things...like a dog they sense apprehension and fear and act on it...what they dont expect is resistance...they are panhandlers...they want easy money...

youre standing fast with an effective improvised weapon in your hand already...you can abandon it and hope you dont need to go to your carry...or let them know you intend to hold your ground and dont want them sharing it with you...theyre not as stupid as you think...chances are they are going to take the easy road...if they arent moving to other side of your car isnt going to change their mind...only increase the distance they have to travel...
    Last edited by bladenbullet; 11-26-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

"a ship in harbor is safe. but thats not what ships are built for."
    john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

pink is the new black....

Quote Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
    I got approached last weekend in the parking lot at our local Costco by a middle aged female with two young kids stating she needed gas money to make it home with her kids. I said sorry, i don't have any cash (which I didn't and usually don't anymore). She said that's ok, pulled out her iPhone and a Cube and said I can swipe your card......I apologized again and said due to fraud concerns, i don't give out my credit cards to strangers. She told me to "F**k Off".
    technology and panhandling...together we can...
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    what you think and what they think are two distinctly different things...like a dog they sense apprehension and fear and act on it...what they dont expect is resistance...they are panhandlers...they want easy money...

youre standing fast with an effective improvised weapon in your hand already...you can abandon it and hope you dont need to go to your carry...or let them know you intend to hold your ground and dont want them sharing it with you...theyre not as stupid as you think...chances are they are going to take the easy road...if they arent moving to other side of your car isnt going to change their mind...only increase the distance they have to travel...
    We pump gas differently, apparently. I don't hold the nozzle in my hand. I stick the nozzle in my car's filler neck, and click on the lock and let it auto-shut-off. As soon as I put it in, I walk to the back or front of my car. I don't stand between my car and the pump while it's filling... EVER. I don't want to be cornered. From the back or front of my car, I scan. I'm watching the environment and the people in it.

I rarely get approached, but when I do, I make it VERY clear with a command voice that they should not come any closer. It works. Every time. I've not yet had to move around my car. But, if the person continued the approach, I have no qualms about making that move. You'll just have to believe me, but in so doing, I will NOT be sending any "apprehension" vibes. I'm simply positioning myself to gain ADVANTAGE over the "beggar," who's now been identified as NOT a beggar. Really, my positioning the car between me and the "beggar" is for HIS protection as much as it is mine.

And, if that person literally pursues me around the car, I won't be using an "improvised" weapon.

But, again... I've not had to do that, yet. But, it is one of my contingency plans.
    Last edited by racer88; 11-27-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    I'd use it as a force continuum at the same level of OC.
    I understand and commented as a caution to the overzealous amoung us (or not). Might be “inflammatory” in court.
    God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
    USMC 66-69 "wing wiper" Sgt E-5

DON'T DISS THE DONALD!

COTEP #744

Quote Originally Posted by MPDC66 View Post
    I understand and commented as a caution to the overzealous amoung us (or not). Might be “inflammatory” in court.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

I have, since my early days in NYC, simply asked anyone dodgy who approached me for money. I'd say "hey, could you spare a few bucks?". Generally you get a very befuddled look and, sometimes, a "no, sorry" response.

Best defense is a good offence.
    Benefactor member NRA, Life Member Ordnance Society (U.K.), Member Gun Owners of America, Second Amendment Foundation

Distinguished Member High Seas Drifter's Avatar
    My standard response is, "Damn, brother [or" darlin'"], I wish I had enough money to just be able to give it away. Unfortunately, I'm just not there yet. One day though! One day!"

And then I keep going on about my business. Haven't had an issue yet.

-on Tapatalk
    • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    We pump gas differently, apparently. I don't hold the nozzle in my hand. I stick the nozzle in my car's filler neck, and click on the lock and let it auto-shut-off. As soon as I put it in, I walk to the back or front of my car. I don't stand between my car and the pump while it's filling... EVER. I don't want to be cornered. From the back or front of my car, I scan. I'm watching the environment and the people in it.

I rarely get approached, but when I do, I make it VERY clear with a command voice that they should not come any closer. It works. Every time. I've not yet had to move around my car. But, if the person continued the approach, I have no qualms about making that move. You'll just have to believe me, but in so doing, I will NOT be sending any "apprehension" vibes. I'm simply positioning myself to gain ADVANTAGE over the "beggar," who's now been identified as NOT a beggar. Really, my positioning the car between me and the "beggar" is for HIS protection as much as it is mine.

And, if that person literally pursues me around the car, I won't be using an "improvised" weapon.

But, again... I've not had to do that, yet. But, it is one of my contingency plans.
    youre right...i drop the pump in, lock it and lean my butt against the car next to it while i watch people (one of my favorite pastimes) or converse with the person next to me if there is something to converse about...i dont see getting cornered as a problem...if they want to occupy a confined space with me they have a problem...

you dont hold your gun in your hand either...but i would imagine youre able to utilize it defensively in a short amount of time...and reaching for the pump nozzle as someone encroaches on your personal space has less legal ramifications than reaching for a concealed firearm...
    Top Dog Wannabe....

john a shedd

Since retiring from the street work back east, I've not been approached by anyone at a gas pump. That's 15 years now. I suppose some of that may be due to my no longer getting gas or hitting 7-11's in the worst parts of the city/town.

AJ is well known as tweaker heaven, I've not been approached by any of them at any location but Walmart last night/early morning shopping. They stand out front of the entrance asking for cigs or money so they don't have to approach you, they wait for you to come to them at the entrance. Don't believe I've said one word to any of them when asked for either.

More importantly, for them, none of them have ever tried to follow me to the vehicle from the entrance. I don't present as a vic, hell even trolling with gold chains and 1 ounce gold coins hanging outside the T shirt, I couldn't get the minorities to bite when we'd walk through the projects after dark no matter how much I tried to look like a lost potential vic.

You guys always being approached, must look like vics.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Sposors