Beggars at gas stations, stores, and at traffic lights ? - Page 16
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Beggars at gas stations, stores, and at traffic lights ?

Distinguished Member bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    More importantly, use your car as a barrier. As the potential perp approaches, you simply move AROUND the car, keeping it between you and the "beggar." A bad guy will try to get closer by moving around the car (as you move around). An actual beggar won't do that.

Use a command voice, ordering the "person of interest" to STOP. Do not come closer! Any continued approach is a BAD sign.

Don't let him get close. Move! If you are forced to... consider a force continuum, including pepper spray... and then??? Do what ya gotta do to protect yourself.

I agree that I would NOT use the car alarm. They are considered an annoying "false alarm." They get the attention of NOBODY. But, a command of "STOP! Don't come any closer!" WILL get attention. A blaring car alarm will not only be ignored, it could drown out your voice commands or pleas for help. Don't use the silly car alarm, folks.
    i would not move unless they presented me with a reason to need cover...i believe one of the strongest deterrents is a steady glare, verbal que and confident posture that lets them know they are going somewhere they dont want to go...retreat is an invitation and indication of fear to a criminal...

as far as a 30 year old beating a 92 year old woman...are there really people who think that a criminal cares who they are robbing and/or beating?..their end goal is taking something they dont own and the weaker the victim the more tempting it is to them...a truckload of toys for tots isnt any different than a wallet on the ground to them...they dont care where its from or where its going...only that it will be theirs...they are indifferent to anything except possible resistance...
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

"a ship in harbor is safe. but thats not what ships are built for."
    john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

pink is the new black....

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i would not move unless they presented me with a reason to need cover...i believe one of the strongest deterrents is a steady glare, verbal que and confident posture that lets them know they are going somewhere they dont want to go...retreat is an invitation and indication of fear to a criminal....
    I don't see it as retreat at all. And, it's not cover nor concealment. They can still see you. Retreating would be turning and running. Which is not necessarily a bad idea for many people. The best way to win a fight is to not be there.

It's the smart use of DISTANCE and a simple barrier. The WORST thing I can think of doing is NOT MOVING. Holy moly. Let them close the distance?? Out of what? PRIDE?? Bravado? Tueller would not agree with that, either. Let them get within striking, grappling, or stabbing distance? No freakin' way. Sorry, but I could not disagree more.

Putting the car between me and the suspected perp is also an effective test of his intent. If he proceeds to approach me AROUND the car, it's Condition Red time. An innocent beggar or person seeking directions to a destination isn't going to do that.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGator View Post
    The above comments got me wondering how far does a gasoline nozzle spray. Found a video on Youtube where a gas station attendant scared off a couple of robbers by dousing them. Not in the U.S., but the video shows a substantial stream out to maybe 3 or 4 feet.

https://youtu.be/z02FBpBlXmI?list=TL...MTlTdTACu1SsCQ
    3-4 feet seems about right. Bad breath distance. Gotta let em get close enough for that tactic to be effective. Unless just spilling gas on the ground as a possible deterrent, but that seems fraught with personal dangers to me.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Wonder what dousing a beggar, proven to be unarmed and in the absence of physical disparity in his favor, would bring to the armed license holder in terms of grief? . I would be very careful of that tactic unless under attack instead of simply being annoyed.
    God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
    USMC 66-69 "wing wiper" Sgt E-5

DON'T DISS THE DONALD!

COTEP #744

The Authorities that know way more then any of us would just tell you to give them your wallet and toss them the keys to the vehicle and "NOT" confront the thief.
    This is very good advice from the people that know.

Well, Not really funny because the people giving this advise actually thinks this is a good idea.
    Ronnie
    N.R.A. - FLORIDA CARRY - D.A.V. - American Legion - M.C.A.--- U.S. Army disabled Veteran, GOA
    If you are not a member of the N.R.A. - It is time to join - Turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members
    If your not a member of FLORIDA CARRY it is time to join.

An armed population conststs of CITIZENS"
    AN UN-ARMED POPULATION CONSTSTS OF "SUBJECTS

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    as far as a 30 year old beating a 92 year old woman...are there really people who think that a criminal cares who they are robbing and/or beating?..their end goal is taking something they dont own and the weaker the victim the more tempting it is to them...
    Exactly. They don't think like most of us do. And one of the worst mistakes you can make in dealing with them is imagining, even for just a moment, that they do.

I got approached last weekend in the parking lot at our local Costco by a middle aged female with two young kids stating she needed gas money to make it home with her kids. I said sorry, i don't have any cash (which I didn't and usually don't anymore). She said that's ok, pulled out her iPhone and a Cube and said I can swipe your card......I apologized again and said due to fraud concerns, i don't give out my credit cards to strangers. She told me to "F**k Off".
    Member: NRA; Florida Carry
    USN 1988-1992

"Figures don't lie and Liars don't figure"

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

Quote Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
    I got approached last weekend in the parking lot at our local Costco by a middle aged female with two young kids stating she needed gas money to make it home with her kids. I said sorry, i don't have any cash (which I didn't and usually don't anymore). She said that's ok, pulled out her iPhone and a Cube and said I can swipe your card......I apologized again and said due to fraud concerns, i don't give out my credit cards to strangers. She told me to "F**k Off".
    WOW! Seriously? LOL!

Yeah... and here are the keys to my house, too.

PS... we were in the Navy the same time frame. Where were you stationed?
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Quote Originally Posted by MPDC66 View Post
    Wonder what dousing a beggar, proven to be unarmed and in the absence of physical disparity in his favor, would bring to the armed license holder in terms of grief? . I would be very careful of that tactic unless under attack instead of simply being annoyed.
    I'd use it as a force continuum at the same level of OC.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    WOW! Seriously? LOL!

Yeah... and here are the keys to my house, too.

PS... we were in the Navy the same time frame. Where were you stationed?
    Yes, this really happened. As much as I was in disbelief, I've had a good laugh and told the story to several friends a few times....lol

I was stationed out of Norfolk on the U.S.S. Lawrence (DDG-4) and the U.S.S. Puget Sound (AD-38).
    Member: NRA; Florida Carry
    USN 1988-1992

"Figures don't lie and Liars don't figure"

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

Sposors