Beggars at gas stations, stores, and at traffic lights ?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Beggars at gas stations, stores, and at traffic lights ?

Beggars at gas stations, stores, and at traffic lights ?

Curious how others on the forum interact with money beggars at gas stations, stores and at traffic lights. I watch crime stories in my area closely, to know and learn what criminals are up to lately and what to watch for. Here in Orlando, there have been several cases of car-jacking and robberies related to some of these characters. They stand at the front door of stores, and approach you sometimes while pumping gas. Because of past experiences and of news stories, I no longer have patience for this. As for money beggars at store fronts, I totally ignore them, no eye contact, no response. If approached while pumping gas, I raise my hand and tell them to "stop, I have nothing for you" in a very firm manner, which lets them know to turn around and walk away, which they do. Of course this can have the opposite effect as it did a few months ago when walking into the gas station. The guy standing at the door greeted me as if I was his long lost friend. I knew all he wanted was money. I just walked past him. On the way out, he got angry and started following me a bit, accusing me of being racist because I did't engage him.
    Last night at around 8 pm, I stopped at a 7-11 and there were 2 guys standing around the corner talking, and watching my every move as I got out of my car and entered store. I made eye contact and let them know I was aware of their every move and my demeanor was, " I know your watching me, I'm not afraid, don't f... with me. They just looked. It doesn't help that I drive an expensive car.

I understand there is mental illness and people have issues, however in this day and age, to me, its not worth engaging them. I don't understand why store owners and employees allow them to engage customers while entering their stores. Not good business. It makes me want to shop elsewhere. If it was just about getting money for food, maybe, but a lot of these people are getting money for drugs and alcohol. My stance may seem harsh, but that's the choice I've made. Wondering what others think or handle this issue?
    Last edited by rayman; 09-20-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Ronnie

I know exactly what you mean. You have to be on guard 24 / 7 now days, Even at home.
    N.R.A. - FLORIDA CARRY - D.A.V. - American Legion - M.C.A.--- U.S. Army disabled Veteran, GOA
    If you are not a member of the N.R.A. - It is time to join - Turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members
    If your not a member of FLORIDA CARRY it is time to join.

An armed population conststs of CITIZENS"
    AN UN-ARMED POPULATION CONSTSTS OF "SUBJECTS

I never give.
    When filling the tank,I lock car and look around while the tank fills.
    "KEEP ON PACKIN' ON THE BIMAH"

"DISLOYAL" JEW

U.S.A.F. 1966-1971 (1825-H) O-3

Life Member V V A

N.R.A. Certified R.S.O.

MAKE AMERICA AMERICAN AGAIN

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

What I don't like about beggars is that they end up engaging in what I consider to be a terrible state of affairs for a defensive carrier. They approach you harmlessly, not with any overt hostile intent, just wanting to spin their BS yarn about how they work for the post office and are trying to get their mom to the hospital and they ran out of gas and just need a couple bucks. Whatever. Bottom line is they get well inside the radius that I don't want anybody in, and legally there isn't much you can do about it. Once they are that close, if they decide to snap and go crazy on you, they are possibly too close for conventional gun play, and I don't really have a desire to go hands-on with any of these turds.

I'd really like to do a "stop right there, don't come any closer", which might shut down and deter some people, but might also enrage some people and cause an issue when there wouldn't have otherwise been one.

I'm a really polite person by nature, and I have been told I have a friendly face. It is difficult for me to completely dehumanize these people and just absolutely not look at them and pretend they don't exist. They prey upon that friendliness and then I have to tell them a story of my own "yeah, sorry, I never carry cash these days" (which is actually true most of the time), and generally that sends them on their way - but I'd just really rather not have to deal with it.

Some days I wish I were more of an a-hole. I wish I could just say "listen man, I don't know you, I don't want to talk to you, and it would be best for everyone involved if you just stayed the eff over there".
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, HFS, PPITH, PPOTH) and Chief Range Safety Officer
    Florida Carry Life Member, SAF Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Defensive Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)
    Need a defensive force "legal plan"? Consider Self Defense Fund (SDF). Feel free to PM me with questions.

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    When approached by such individuals, I just firmly tell them I've got nothing for them. If they persist, I get downright sh***y with them and tell them to f**k off. So far, this approach has worked 100% of the time. Now if they decide to get aggressive, well, let's just say it wouldn't be the first time I've had to ruin someone's day.

Just remember, if you're approached while pumping gas, a gas pump nozzle can be a pretty formidable weapon.
    "It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

One instance I read about lately was a guy walking into a 7-11 was asked for a cigarette, when he gave the guy a cig, the guy pulled out a gun and took his keys and his car.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyedick View Post
    When approached by such individuals, I just firmly tell them I've got nothing for them. If they persist, I get downright sh***y with them and tell them to f**k off. So far, this approach has worked 100% of the time. Now if they decide to get aggressive, well, let's just say it wouldn't be the first time I've had to ruin someone's day.

Just remember, if you're approached while pumping gas, a gas pump nozzle can be a pretty formidable weapon.

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    I've been lucky. I eat lunch at an old mom and pop place in a not so nice edge of town. So far holding up the hand like a traffic cop and sternly saying "STOP Don't come any closer" has worked 100 percent of the time. I did have a hooker stop but then walk up to the window after I got in my truck and ask me several times to roll down my window. I just slowwwley backed up and drove away.

My biggest fear of the lady beggars is the possible boyfriend hiding around the corner. I am more careful with them that with an old man.

And we all know what happens if you give a cute 16 year old girl 500 dollars for half and half. No more printed guns for you.

Just say no to everyone!!

+2 on the gas hose. Do a visualization of that one every time you pump gas.
    Last edited by TitleIIToyLover; 09-20-2018 at 04:37 PM.
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by TitleIIToyLover View Post
    I've been lucky. I eat lunch at an old mom and pop place in a not so nice edge of town. So far holding up the hand like a traffic cop and sternly saying "STOP Don't come any closer" has worked 100 percent of the time. I did have a hooker stop but then walk up to the window after I got in my truck and ask me several times to roll down my window. I just slowwwley backed up and drove away.

My biggest fear of the lady beggars is the possible boyfriend hiding around the corner. I am more careful with them that with an old man.

And we all know what happens if you give a cute 16 year old girl 500 dollars for half and half. No more printed guns for you.

Just say no to everyone!!

+2 on the gas hose. Do a visualization of that one every time you pump gas.
    Just curious, when you say " gas pump nozzle " , are you thinking of using nozzle to strike them or pouring gas on them ?

And we've heard of the instances where someone has stopped to help a stranded lady only to be ambushed by men in hiding. The world is definitely getting worst.

Sposors