Florida Concealed Carry banner

Steel Challenge Team Handicapping

8K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  brownie 
#1 ·
We have a regular group that I shoot with during the week and Wednesday night is Steel Challenge.

There is a lot of "friendly" competition between the members on our squad which usually results in somebody buying cheeseburgers or beer or ice cream, depending on who wins/loses. Every now and then we have all of them show up at the same time.

I decided to put together two squads to shoot against each other and as I see all of these people every week and most matches, I gave it my best shot (sorry, no pun intended) and put together two reasonably even teams.

Team Ruggles had mostly Ruger pistols, a red dot rifle and a ported handgun.

Team Victory was running S&W Victory pistols, a Glock and something that I just couldn't figure out. The other team was cheating with a rifle and some pistol with an optic and port job.

I demand a reshoot next week!

AD

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice! Looks like fun! Where are these shoots held?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Caleb,

This particular 4 stage Steel Challenge match is run every Wednesday night at the Hansen Range (between Cape Coral and Punta Gorda).

Monday night is the 4 stage IDPA match and Thursday night is the 4 stage USPSA match.

We are extremely lucky to have this outdoor facility with excellent stadium lighting for those winter months when it gets dark at 6pm, our usual starting time.

$10 to shoot the matches. Weekend matches are 8 stage affairs and start at 9am. $20 for members, $25 for non-members for the weekends.

A very good group of people to shoot with for sure.

AD

#5 ·
I will be coming to the SC on Wednesdays as soon as I get my days off changed.
Andy how does one register for the midweek shoot or is it just turn up? been out of it way too long.
Thank you

#6 ·
During the season it's gets pretty full early so we've gone to the Practiscore registration for most matches.

https://www.practiscore.com/hansen-wednesday-steel-april-10-2019-the-real-match/register

However, a lot of the snow birds are leaving so if you don't register in advance, you'll get set up with no problems as a walk-up.

See you Wednesday. I'll be there with my usual motley crew of motorcycle hoodlums and old farts on Squad 3. I'll be running with the PCC this week in Open (PCCO).

AD

#7 · (Edited)
Not tomorrow Im afraid still very busy at the airport with snowbirds the 24th I hope to be free. Also got to remember all the abbreviations again.
Will start with the SIG 226 OPN then go to SS OPN.
What class of gun is LTD.... limited.
:smack:smack once I get into it again.

#10 ·
Have fun. Wish these were closer to me or I'd join in the fun. :thumsup

#12 ·
The funny thing about Steel Challenge is that it looks kind of stupid on the surface. However, once you actually TRY it and see that maybe your combined speed and accuracy are a little worse than you thought, it looks a bit better.

Then you bring your buddy to have a shootout on those stupid plates and it's "Fight On!".

Drag out those Glocks and M&P's and have at it in Production Class. You won't beat the rimfire rifles and pistols but you'll be dueling against your buddy with similar equipment. It's addicting for sure, especially if you're the one having to buy the beer later because you lost the match by a half second to your buddy.

Got an old .22LR rifle sitting around with nothing to do? It's a good fit in Steel Challenge. The same goes for a 22LR pistol. Run iron sights or add an optic. It's your choice.

My little group thought it would be a one time thing, just to make sure we tried all of the available shooting sports locally. Nope. We've all come back in big time shooting it every week now.

Guys, give it a try, especially with a buddy. In fact for those of you who have never shot in any type of friendly competition, well you're missing one of the best things in shooting and depending on what you choose (Steel, IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, etc) you'll probably already have a perfectly suitable sidearm to play with!

AD

#13 ·
I’ve shot it once and it is a blast, I’ll do it again in a heartbeat. Now that I think of it, I believe OSS has a steel challenge as well as GSSF. I’ll have to look into it more. Just wish it was closer to home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Had to add this here as we're talking about Steel Challenge.

One of the stages in Steel Challenge is called "Smoke and Hope". It's probably everybody's favorite as it's super fast to shoot, the first four targets are large and close, and the temptation to just blast on through it is too much to resist.

I finally managed to get a nice "sub-2 second" run on a string as I had a few guys tell me I couldn't do it with the stock Ruger PCC.

Wrong. I've done it many times during a match but not with the video running. Here's the video after my squad had all run the stage.

In the match I ran it at 2.11, 1.95, 1.93 and 1.82 for the four scoring strings. Too bad the camera guy couldn't figure out how to push the red button on an iPhone. Arrrrrrgh!.

AD

#16 ·
:2thumsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.