Florida Concealed Carry banner

Post Office

7K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  Ronnie948 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Quick question here from Florida...I know about not CC inside the post office or having it in your car in the parking lot as it’s still federal property. However, what if there’s a small post office location located inside a shopping center ie: inside a Publix etc.. Is the parking lot open to keep your firearm inside?

#3 ·
You can carry it as well as long as you don't go into the post office itself. Mine never stays in the car unless absolutely required.

#4 ·
Prohibition in parking lots and postal buildings applies only to USPS property. USPS offices inside/on property leased by the USPS, like in shopping/strip malls is not USPS property.

#5 ·
Just keep it concealed and don't go in asking questions like """"CAN I BRING MY GUN IN HERE?????"""""
It is not likely that they are going to frisk you in a Post Office.
Ronnie

#9 · (Edited)
So if someone "notices" something printing, that MIGHT be a firearm, and confronts that person about whether that's a firearm or not, what are some of the responses from members going to be?

1. Oh, I didn't tell you, must be none of your friggin business"?
2. I'm presently on a bag until they can reconnect my arse
3. firearm? Gun? oh hell no, I voted for Hillary
4. ignore the question and continue to your box, get your mail and leave

You see, if it's concealed and prints where a cleark may ask if that's a gun/firearm, that clerk can not detain you in any way. You are free to leave. Worst case scenario, the clerk gets your plate, brings an inspector into the matter and that inspector then makes contact with you outside the PO later. That inspector can/may question you, but he has to have evidence of your actually carrying in the PO, not just a suspicion to have any teeth whatsoever.

Or another possibility, he calls the locals. You're gone, they get an apb out for your vehicle as the clerk took your plate. You're now in public domain. Leo's ask you if you're carrying, yes. Were you carrying in the PO? No. They also need hard evidence you were carrying in the PO, not just suspicion based on some clerk "thinking" it might have been a firearm.

What's all the damned fuss about? They check the video tape, yup, that sure looks like a gun printing. Well, I don't care what it looks like, prove it was a firearm is where there's any teeth to the matter. Now, do I want the hassle of any of the above? Of course not, but I'm not going to worry very much about it either.

#11 ·
I thought you were not to mail a firearm through the USPS.
I always used Fed-EX because of this.
Ronnie

#12 ·
You can mail long guns but, they don’t like it. I usually get hassled when doing so (three times I’ve mailed one) and they want a copy of my FFL. It’s just easier to go to fedex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Just a reminder that as individual gun owners and carriers it is our responsibility to know and follow the law whether we agree with it or not. Whether state or federal the law is the law and we would never even suggest trying to get around it to suit personal preferences.

#17 ·
Exactly!

An people sometimes forget how posting in an open forum goes around... :)

#18 ·
Well, I never carry a gun because with my smart phone , I can call 911 if I am ever threatened by a thug.
The Police are all the protection I will ever need.
:rofl
Ronnie

#22 ·
The reason to carry a pistol, concealed, is to defend you and yours against humans (mostly) who might attempt to do you harm. To carry this weapon into a Post Office, Federal facility, is very silly. And very criminal!

For two reasons, first, you could end up in jail. And as far as I know (could be wrong, have been before!) there is no instance of a shooting, in Florida, where I live, in a Post Office.

Reference School buildings? In accompanying my Daughter to a School, where she was giving a presentation on preventing cruilty to animals, in Orange County. I was not carrying my Gen 4 Glock. Whilst we were in the School, it went on lock down!

An escaped criminal from the prison on John Young, 4 miles away! Not being a person who was in any way (as those little kids in the School would say, a Scardy Cat) I definitly felt unarmed, because I was. Gun free zone? Sure.

#24 ·
My best friend is a retired Supervisory Special Agent with the USPS Office of Inspector General. I asked him about having firearms on USPS property, and he told me that they were primarily concerned with whether or not employees were armed or had guns in their vehicles. He could not think of a lower enforcement priority than customers having guns in their cars on USPS property. In fact, he could not recall a single instance in his entire career of anyone being arrested, much less prosecuted, for having done so. He said you'd basically have to either walk in open carrying or rob the place for them to be concerned with armed customers.

So is it illegal? Yeah...but you'd have to do something profoundly stupid to be caught in the first place.

#25 ·
Hence, post 9 :grin

It's just another subject on this forum that will get a lot of traction over an absurdly low risk of being caught, let alone arrested or prosecuted. Carrying into a PO is so low a priority of risk of detection or prosecution as to be irrelevant.

#27 ·
I remember the saying "whole Hogg".
Does that count? :grin

Where I live, there is a Post Office in a Publix strip mall.
If I have to mail a letter, I put the Glock-26 (sometimes G19) in the vehicle "safe", make my business, then return to the car to grab my EDC before heading in for groceries.

It's a hassle, but I try to think of the extra effort as my "cardio plan".

#28 ·
Going Postal was about 25 or 30 years ago when the post office employees were going to work and shooting their fellow employees. It was going on all over the country and they told America that it was the stress of the job. :bsmeter
I think it was just like the loonies that shoot up a school or a workplace shooting and done by copycat evil monsters that see it done on TV and decide they want to do it too.
Mass shootings are not anything new like they keep saying on the lying news media and talk shows. These have been going on for many years but the difference now is that the media is making these shootings national news and keeping the story going for a long time.
There is no way to ever stop these monsters and all of the laws they can poop out will not do anything but torture the law abiding citizens.
Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.