Florida Concealed Carry banner

Out Of State Carry

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  BrianB 
#1 ·
I'm leaving Florida for a vacation in Pennsylvania and would like to know if I can carry my pistol legally in all of the states I'll be traveling through.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome to FCC. You can get details on each state at http://www.handgunlaw.us.

Be sure to read the details because while you may be able to carry in some states, the prohibited places may be different. Also some states may have different requirements like I believe you are required by law to inform law enforcement that you’re carrying in South Carolina.

I would especially review Maryland and Virginia.

#8 ·
Don't bother reviewing MD, they don't honor any other states, even passing through can often be a crap shoot.

#3 ·
Wow, member since 2014 but your first post! Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, jabomano! :wave

Not knowing your route of travel, it's hard to answer with certainty. However, check http://handgunlaw.us for each state you're traveling through.

I personally use the App called "CCW Concealed Carry 50 State" available from your favorite App store, costs only $2 and once purchased, you can load it on all of your electronic devices.

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, welcome to FCC! :grin

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome from Tampa Bay!

Depending on the route you take, your time in MD might be minimized to about 10-13 minutes. You can zip right through. Take the following route:

1) I-95 through Ga and into SC to Exit 86(I-26W)

2) I-26 W to I-77 N (Columbia, SC).

3) I-77 North all the way through SC, NC and parts of VA. --> I-81N

4) I-81N ---> through VA, West VA, and MD. to PA. You will only be in MD for maybe 10-13 minutes (Haggerstown), then you'll be in PA.

5) I-81 N to wherever you have to go in PA (I'd be headed towards I-78 E).

So, you'll spend a lot less time in MD but a bit more in VA. You really want to avoid MD as much as you can.

#5 ·
Also, if you are going to be near the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia, be very careful. If you are headed north on N Independence Mall E, pass the mint, miss your turn and accidentally go straight, you will be going to New Jersey, like it or not. You are not legal in NJ and if you have hollow point ammo with you (who doesn't) then you are doubly screwed.

#6 ·
I'm looking at the Google map of the area around the US Mint, and I'm having trouble figuring out how you would actually do that (i.e. miss the turn). It seems the only way would be to travel north on S. 5th street, pass the mint on the right, and continue straight onto the on-ramp for the Benjamin Franklin bridge. Yes, you would be going to NJ if you did that.

And to the OP, yes, you NEVER want to bring any firearms into NJ. NEVER! Worse then MD!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.