Question re Suppressor Prices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re Suppressor Prices

Question re Suppressor Prices

Was browsing online, they were a big buck.
    Is this because price quoted includes tax stamp? ($225 ???)
    Or some other reason.
    Not flaming manufacturers or sellers,just curious.
    "KEEP ON PACKIN' ON THE BIMAH"

U.S.A.F. 1966-1971 (1825-H) O-3

Life Member V V A

N.R.A. Certified R.S.O.

MAKE AMERICA AMERICAN AGAIN

Prices do not include tax stamp, to my knowledge. I've never bought one. But, I'm quite sure that it doesn't include the tax stamp. Getting a suppressor is expensive!

Why are they expensive? Because they can be. Pretty much.

IF / when suppressors are taken off the NFA list, and manufacturers start cranking them out in large quantities, you will see prices plummet. Until then, they can charge what the market will bear.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Or some other reason.
    Prices shown on websites do not include tax stamp (since, among other things, some of us don't pay transfer taxes). A quality suppressor is expensive. Expect around $800 - $1100 for a decent 30 caliber suppressor. Generally less for pistol calibers. You can get inexpensive .22 LR suppressors for less than the cost of the tax stamp ($100 - $200), but if you're going to pay for the tax stamp it seems to make sense to get a decent can (which will be more money) - since the tax stamp is $200 no matter the price/quality of the can.

I don't think that really answers your question as to why they are expensive. My education is in economics, so if the manufacturer is following good economic principles he will increase the price of his product until the money lost from losing sales due to the higher price exactly equals the money gained from the higher price. This would be unit price elasticity and also happens to represent maximum profit. Assuming they don't possess the savvy to do their pricing that way the answer is probably "they seem to sell well at this price and we're making enough money for it to be worth doing".
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, HFS, PPITH, PPOTH) and Chief Range Safety Officer
    Florida Carry Life Member, SAF Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Defensive Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

^^^ Pretty much what he said.^^^

I have one in my possession, and I am waiting on a stamp for one more

Prices do not include the tax stamp. But..... shop around, sometimes the biggest or most popular retailers do not have the best prices.

They are expensive for 2 reasons. First, because they can.

Second, quality cans are made of various grades of steel, titanium and aluminum. Some of the grades of steel and titanium are not easy to machine. Also, the openings on both ends of the suppressor MUST be concentric with all of the baffles inside to avoid a bullet strike.

Current wait times to get a stamp is currently about 6 months.
    Last edited by AFJuvat; 02-02-2018 at 09:19 PM.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

As Brian said, I believe it is mostly supply and demand economics. Demand is held in check due to tax stamp and insane long wait times, thus supply is lower. Lower supply means the manufacturers cannot take advantage of mass producing them, so each one costs more. Honestly, I'm not as put off by the price as I am the wait. I have a .22 can in the safe that took 8 months in 2016 and a .45 can in NFA jail since April 2017. Both of those were purchased with a trust though, and trust purchases take longer due to legal review.
    NRA Member
    USN 1989-1998
    Unforgiveness - The poison you drink hoping the other person will die.
    Osama bin Laden - World Hide-and-Go-Seek Champion (2001-2011)
    The world ain't what it seems....the moment you think you got it figured, you're wrong!" - Shooter

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Or some other reason.
    Otheres have answered your question about price and tax stamps.

If you're browsing seriously and actually thinking about buying, let me just put this out there for the sake of discussion. 22LR silencers are almost as quiet as the ones you see in the movies. They are a fun range toy. Anything else is going to disappoint you, if you expect Hollywood movie quiet. Center fire rifle silencers barely reduce noise (db) enough to allow you to shoot without ear protection. Center fire handgun silencers are not much better.

There are reasons to own a silencer, other than sound reduction, but most of those reasons are not worth 1000 dollars.

Some here will now point out that the reason a can is called a suppressor not a silencer is because they don't actually silence anything. Yep, but I like to use the correct legal term.

Just saying, that you should try and find an opportunity to try before you buy.
    Last edited by TitleIIToyLover; 02-02-2018 at 09:03 PM.
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

I guess, as was said,once we can buy then without the stamp etc., the price will drop because more will want them and production costs will drop.
    "KEEP ON PACKIN' ON THE BIMAH"

U.S.A.F. 1966-1971 (1825-H) O-3

Life Member V V A

N.R.A. Certified R.S.O.

MAKE AMERICA AMERICAN AGAIN

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    There is some truth to the explanation that exotic materials, like inconel, and titanium are difficult to machine. The truth is, that if there was no tax stamp, then we would have disposable silencers made out of stainless steel and even 3d printed inconel. The longevity of a silencer would no longer be an issue. There might not even be a silencer industry, because you could just buy a printer for 2 grand and make all the silencers you wanted. It would not be the first time that innovation moved faster than legislation. A mill that produces lowers and a printer that produces silencers. For 5 grand I would make all the guns I wanted for the rest of my life.

But the real future is in battery technology. Just sayin! There is where the money is.
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

My wait time was 8 weeks but that was back in 2008. Back then the prices were high, but not as bad as they are now. Prices will always reflect what the market will bear.

I heard suppressors were under a hundred bucks in Europe and they are sold over the counter at sporting good stores.

Quote Originally Posted by TitleIIToyLover View Post

But the real future is in battery technology. Just sayin! There is where the money is.
    Naa... According to Fletch, "It's all ball-bearings these days."
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Sposors