Florida Concealed Carry banner

Hi Point 9mm Carbine - Initial Impressions

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  GoldwingElf 
#1 ·
I purchased this 9mm carbine new from a local pawn & gun shop. I got some Winchester white box 115gr for my first group and some Federal aluminum 115gr for the rest of this post. My friend shot the aluminum for his first group and brought some CCI 115gr "match" ammo for the rest. I never adjusted the sights, it was dead reliable minus user error malfunction. This weapon is clearly designed to remain shouldered when reloading. If you turn it to the side to pull the charging handle it will jam. We both shot bench rest sand bag (RO's request)

We started out at 25yd. I went lower right, upper right, lower left. My friend who is a better shot went upper left.

We moved over to 50yd, irons. I didn't take a picture of my target, which best group was around 5-6", but he impressed me as I watched with binoculars. After a few magazines he put several right in a row through the same hole. The third picture is me at 50yd irons with his 0.30 cal.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. Clearly there is room for improvement on my part and clearly this is as-capable as many other "better" target guns in medium ranges. It does not kick. I actually dislike the spring loaded buffer pad as it is not needed for the recoil level of this 6lb 6oz (removed the foregrip) 9mm carbine. I am considering disabling it or removing it all together. Twice I was lined up, welding the cheek, and the pad adjusted on me causing loss of aim. I bought a Simmons 4x 30mm objective fixed magnification scope for fun, but determined I need to remove the iron sights to mount it. I do not think this gun has any more recoil than a light .22 mag. Next trip to the range I will get some +P ammo, mount the scope, and see what it & I can do at 100yd after some 50yd practice. I read the Bushnell red dot that ships with this gun in some configurations aligns perfectly with the iron sights. That, or similar, may be the eventual optic for this gun. I can't wait to set up some water jugs at 25-50yd and load this with JHPs.

I highly recommend this as a truck gun or a range toy. 9mm FMJ is cheapish and ubiquitous.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I know I really like mine, I did put a red dot on mine and did have to remove the top of the front sight.
The gun shoots flawless using Blazer Brass ammo and is just plain fun to shoot.
Ronnie

#3 ·
Threw a Simmons 22 Mag 4x 30mm on it and took it to the range again. I really need some practice. That being said, attached photo shows minute of man at 100yd, sighted in at 2-3" groups at 50yd. Honestly I was shooting almost as well with Irons 50yd vs 50yd optics. I did not use +P for this, cheapo Winchester still. I'd still attribute 90% of the poor grouping to me. I'm looking for a reasonably priced FMJ or soft lead tip +P round.

Attachments

#4 ·
Checking in, shot it a few times since and it is running flawlessly. I need to dab some loctite on the charging handle. It did not like 90gr zinc core. Velocity was definitely higher based on the crack echo, no idea how much, but groups doubled and POI shifted left. At 10yds I can drive tacks (just checking for scope movement and focusing on fundamentals) and at 50yds I can group 2".

This is by far my favorite gun purchase yet. Cheapest carbine with a decent bang (ie not 22lr) with the cheapest glass hitting anything within 100yd. Its all giggles and rainbows coming out of the barrel for me.

#5 ·
I've had mine a couple of years now and it is just plain fun to shoot. As a bonus most indoor ranges will allow you to shoot it too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.