Florida Concealed Carry banner

Proper documentation

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  BeerHunter 
#1 ·
Hey guys I’m new to the forum and going next week to apply for my CCW. I was arrested in the state of Missouri and named a suspect for a crime in 2008, I was finger printed and questioned then released. Every time I do a federal background check this comes up my gun purchases are always delayed and I had to jump through some hoops when I got my security clearance for the military. The only document I have is a letter from the chief of police explaining the situation because there are no court records. Any suggestions, will this letter be sufficient?

#2 ·
You record is sufficient. Arrested yes, convicted no. Just answer all questions honestly. Yeah you might have a slight problem. But today we all need to assure, for Concealed Carry purpose, a clean background check. You might want to mention the Military Clearance after the arrest was granted because the military found no grounds to deny the clearance. Good luck, be honest.

#4 ·
Welcome to FCC from Palm Beach County, Docj! :wave

Safetyguy already provided a good answer.

Since this was your first post to FCC, now would be a really good time to also go back and post you're own Introduction thread to FCC so the members get to know you. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will know to chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, and will be more responsive in answering questions!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Finally, I would like to recommend you consider joining Florida Carry and join the effort to protect the rights of Floridians to keep and bear arms!

Again, welcome to FCC! :grin

#6 ·
I have two misdemeanor no contest pleas (underage alcohol possession, reckless driving) and adjudication withheld on criminal speeding. I've never had an issue with gun purchases and from application to receipt of my permit was around 1 month. I suppose the crime you were suspected of was a felony? Either way you should be fine, convictions are what matter and even domestic violence doesnt disqualify past 3yr (IIRC).

#7 ·
I’ve looked into having it sealed I just don’t really have the extra $2000 laying around for attorney fees eventually I will. Since I’ve moved to Florida the delays on gun purchases have gone away, it might have just been a state thing up there but can’t be sure.

#8 ·
If you've already gone through the process of buying a gun in Florida, and they have cleared up whatever it was for the purpose of approving the gun purchase, then you may not have any issue at all when you apply for the CWFL.

#12 ·
Congratulations and carry on! :thumsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.