Florida Concealed Carry banner

Which Ammo Grain for the Glock 19 Gen5

17K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Scouse 
#1 ·
I'm new to the Glock word.. Today I got my first Glock 19 Gen 5 and I'm loving it. My question is about ammo grain. My other gun was a M&P Shield 2.0 and I was using Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Luger 115 gr for self defense and Federal 9mm luger 115gr FMJ Brass for the range. Now with this Glock 19.. which grain is best?... Can I keep using the same (115gr)?...

Thanks for the help

#18 ·
So do I, since they were called Black Talon! First, the part you hit, IE Bullet placement is really more important than what you shot that part with. But reference the same part, say the upper central chest area. Then a heaver bullet/projectile, with all things being equal go deeper.

Remember we are talking the premier cartridge manufacturer in the US of A! Winchester.
The recoil is not too hard, and the round is super accurate. The next part of the equation, same gun, same place, always. In my case Glock 19 4th gen.

#7 ·
Since the 19 has a longer barrel than the Shield, from tests that I’ve seen you have a lot more options that test well using the FBI protocols.

Lucky Gunner has results from their testing that you can review, but Winchester T, Gold Dots, and HSTs seem to be the brands that perform more reliably in the FBI protocols.

I went with HST in 124 grain (not plus P) for that reason.

You can also check out ShootingTheBull channel on YouTube to see testing results.

#8 ·
It doesn't matter much. Go with the one you hit with best and is utterly reliable in your pistols.
My SWaMPy 9c throws 147 gr cases back in my face, your pistols may be different.
Geoff
Who carries 9mm Hornady low recoil, because his wife can handle it in a .38 Special Revolver or a 9mm Semi-auto.

#10 ·
I agree. I carry speer gold dots in my 26 gen 4 and my 19 gen 4.

#11 ·
115’s i would say have fallen out of favor and replaced with 124’s 35’s and 47’s.....technology has improved. It does appear that copper bullet still has lower weight components.....i stay away from +P’s.

#14 ·
“Best is still relative, I’m using 124 Gold Dots. The question is who's marketing hype do you believe? My reason for selecting GoldDots is not entirely based on performance.“

Another good criteria is use what the police use. Gold Dots and Ranger T’s are 2 of the most chosen brands by law enforcement along with federal HST’s

#15 ·
I don't have a Glock 19, or any Glock firearms for that matter. I've nothing against them, just not a striker-fired firearm fanboy. That said, ammunition is engineered to perform better in classes of firearms, especially for shorter barrels of the smaller semi-automatics and snub-nosed revolvers, and I've never heard "my Glock 19 doesn't like _______ ammo." As others have posted, the prevalence of more and more shorter barrelled semi-autos in particular, resulted in many like ShootingTheBull410 to test the performance of ammunition. ShootingTheBull410's "Ammo Quest" series on YouTube is quite revealing.

I carry what's been proven on the street by LEOs, who's ammunition most commonly issued by their LEA. So I carry Winchester Ranger-T or Federal HST in 147 gr for my shorter barrelled SIG P229s in 9mm and 230 gr in my 1911s.

#16 ·
115 gr in 9mm for me. It’s what I’ve shot in training, and matches since the early ‘90’s, and have been reloading for as long. I know the recoil impulse, and just where it’s going to hit (POA=POI in all my 9mm pistols).

#19 ·
My G19 (gen 4) will eat anything for practice, much like a junkyard dawg. For self defense, I prefer to use the heaviest grain per caliber, i.e. 147 gr for 9mm, much like BeerHunter & brownie. I like to use brands that test well & exceed f b i standards like Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T. I mainly carry 147 gr Federal HSTs (having both +P and std pressure).

#20 ·
Somewhat relative to this thread. . .

I find it interesting that when the subject is GLOCK, many folks say the only reason that LEO's carry Glocks is strictly because Glock was the lowest bidder, having nothing to do with the quality or the design of the weapon. In that light, we shouldn't do as the LEO's do because their motives were driven by cost, not quality.

Yet when we choose our SD ammo, the first things quoted are that brand X in caliber Z in G grain is the best because that's what the Cops carry, and if it's good enough for the FBI it is good enough for me.

Did it ever occur to you that Miami PD, FBI, FDLE, or Volusia S.O. may be carrying their choices of ammo based on LOW bids as well?

Just something to think about the next time you buy SD ammo. Read the stats and the test results, not just copying a chosen LE Agency. If that was good justification for SD equipment selection, most of us should be carrying Glock .40's.

#21 · (Edited)
Numerous ballistic testing results shared on this forum have shown that generally the heaviest grain per caliber offers the best combination of penetration and expansion, with differing results depending on the design of the jacket & hollow point. FBI testing shows which rounds coincidentally meet or exceed all 5 barrier types. While there are many great rounds, 147 gr HSTs & Ranger Ts are just two of such rounds that provide consistent results that exceed in all categories without over penetration. We weren't just picking favorite ammo from fancy marketing. The 40S&W is about equal to the modern 9mm rounds but at a much higher cost per round and much less available on a global market. I'll skip the 10mm short (40S&W) and go straight to the 11mm (45ACP) if I'm going big.

#22 ·
Many years ago the FBI declared the 125 gr .357 Magnum round the best one shot stopper. (All known disclaimers apply.) In response SIG developed the 357 SIG which had a velocity about 200 fps lower than the .357 Magnum round the FBI tested. A 9x19 mm Luger round with a 124 gr bullet is about 100 fps slower than the SIG or 300 fps slower than the .357 Magnum. Hornady 9mm 124 gr XTP 1110 fps 339 ft. lbs. at the muzzle. This is, I suspect, why the FBI has returned to the 9x19 mm Luger.
Geoff
Who notes many professionals recommend shooting in three shot bursts, it was two with revolvers.

#25 · (Edited)
The purpose of firing a "Burst" from a pistol IMHO, is to maximise the ability to cause cessation of the threat, against a single assailant.

For say, the firing of 4 rounds of 9mm, at the range of 4 yards, standard velocity, not plus P the ability to control the group, is enhansed.

But having stated that, is it that important? Because of any ability to cause a sure stoppage of aggression, by striking the body organs, as in heart, and lungs, is to deniy the brain of blood and oxyigen. Which could take up to 15 seconds?

So, is there a general consensus? 2 rounds? 3 or 4? Who knows. Not me.

#26 ·
The "consensus" of people that taught me is "Keep shooting till the threat changes shape or catches fire!" :grin

#29 ·
Geof, upper body strength? I started a couple of years ago, with a simple set of weight exercises.
Using two 5 lb hand weights. Lightweights, but lots of reps. Start standing, holding weights, down by your side, lift arms up level with shoulders, from the side 15 times.
Curl up from the front, 15 times. Straight up towards the ceiling, 15 times.

Arms up to the chest, elbows up. Arms off to the side, 15 times. Last, stand straight up, arms by your sides, right side down to your side, three times, left side 3 times. 15 times.

Not a big deal, but do it every morning.

When I first started, lots of clicks, and clunks, in the joints! Not hardly any now.

I can not run, jog, I have a bum ankle.

Not sure if you can understand my rudimentary description. But it works for me, and I am 82 YOA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.