Florida Concealed Carry banner

.38/.357 gel test results

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Telum Pisces 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I've always been a fan of carrying what local LE uses. Removes the "evil bullets" equation. That said, ammo is so similar, its really about training. If one can get shots on with any ammo then they're doing better than the person with the best ammo who couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. Besides, handgun ammo doesn't have true stopping power unless you make a CNS hit. So while it's all fun to research, training is the real "magic bullet."

-on Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
I'm 100% in agreement with the idea of training. Everyone should train, a lot, and develop their marksmanship to as high a degree as their physical ability and mentality will allow. Where I depart from you is the idea that all ammo is similar. I think there are real differences and one should use ammo one thinks maximizes the probability of safely neutralizing the threat.

#4 ·
I bought half a case of this some time back on sale for a ridiculous price.......

#7 ·
I would say If you're worried about someone trying to kill you, carrying a .38 Special probably isn't the best plan to start with. If your choice is to carry a .38 special or to not carry, then of course carry the .38 special.

#8 · (Edited)
I carry a 9mm. My wife has difficulty racking the slide, so she carries a .38 Ruger LCR. Because of her difficulty with the slide, we also carry a S&W Model 10 HB in the car as a backup we both can shoot. Since she has to carry the .38, and the car backup is a .38, I want it to be as effective as possible. I'd agree .38 isn't the best round out there, but if one is constrained to use it, one should have the best .38 round available.

BTW, comparing the Ranger round to 9mm, it looks to me to be as effective as many popular 9mm rounds, although perhaps not in the same class as the 147 gr. Federal HSTs I carry.

#13 ·
With what Brownie and Joe Carry are talking about. I went through a pat down before a concert I went through a line that had a female guard, during her pat down she grabbed the goods, I told her that if she done that any longer we would concidered a couple and would owe me a kiss, she smiled and waved me though.

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.