Florida Concealed Carry banner

How to Apply for a Concealed Weapon or Firearms Lecense

38K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Dsantos 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How To Apply For A Concealed Weapons or Firearms License​

Obtain an Application for Concealed Weapon or Firearm License by filling out an online request form for applications or by contacting any of our offices. The application packet includes the form to be filled out, a copy of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes, a fingerprint card, and a return envelope for the completed application.

Link for Online Request Form: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/forms.html

The information provided below is an overview of the application process. Additional information is provided in the application instructions booklet included with your application.

Link to Application Instructions: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/ap.../Concealed Weapon_ApplicationInstructions.pdf

- Read and study the copy of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes.

- Have a passport-style, color photograph made.

- Get verification of training that satisfies the training requirement. The application lists acceptable documents. Make a photocopy to send with the application as an original cannot be returned. Persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card to satisfy the training requirement.

- Get certified copies of court documents relating to any criminal charges against you.

- Take the fingerprint card to a local law enforcement agency and ask to be fingerprinted. In addition to providing fingerprinting services for the traditional "hard-card" format, electronic fingerprint devices are available at almost all 67 county sheriff’s offices in the state.
Visit the Electronic Fingerprints Information page to learn how Live Scan fingerprinting saves processing time. (See Below)

- Complete the application. Either print clearly with ink or type the information.

- In the presence of a notary, sign application.

- Submit a check or money order for the license fee payable to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
This fee is not refundable.

Assemble everything:
1. Envelope
2. Fee
3. Photograph
4. Fingerprint card or proof that your fingerprints were submitted electronically by the sheriff's office using Live Scan (along with proof that you paid the sheriff's office or the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for the service).
5. Proof of training
6. Certified court documents (if any)
7. Application with notarized signature

Mail to: Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing, P.O. Box 6687, Tallahassee, FL 32314.

The Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License is valid for a period of 7 years. Approximately 90 days prior to the license's expiration date, the Division automatically sends a renewal notice to the address we have on file for the license holder.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/apply.html

Electronic Fingerprint Submissions for the Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License

The following questions and answers will help guide you through the process of submitting your fingerprints electronically in applying for the Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. Please read this material carefully in its entirety. If you have any questions or need additional clarification,
please call our Public Inquiry Section at 850-245-5691.

Q. Where can I get my fingerprints digitally scanned?

A: Florida law requires applicants for the concealed weapon license to have their fingerprints taken at a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY. Electronic fingerprint devices are available at almost all of the 67 county sheriffs' offices throughout the state. Most county sheriffs have one unit; the sheriffs in some larger counties have more than one such device. You can find out if your local sheriff has an electronic fingerprint scanning device by viewing this List of Sheriff's Offices. This list includes telephone numbers for each sheriff's office so that you can find out precise locations and times when the fingerprint service is available.

Link to List of Sheriff's Offices: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/CWCS/ApplicantLivescan_ContactList_DOACS_110708.pdf

We strongly recommend that you telephone your sheriff's office in advance to confirm that that particular office provides electronic fingerprint scanning services and to reserve an appointment time if one is necessary.

IMPORTANT TIP: When your fingerprints are scanned, the fingerprint technician who takes your prints will give you a RECEIPT and/or a PHOTOCOPY of the fingerprint scan.

Please keep these documents. They contain your Transaction Control Number, which is needed if you pay for the fingerprinting service on line, rather than at the sheriff's office. Also, copies of the documents should be submitted with your application.

Q. What is the cost of the electronic fingerprint submission?

A: The cost of submitting your fingerprints electronically via digital image is approximately $35.00. Keep in mind that some sheriff's offices may charge an additional nominal fee for providing the fingerprinting service. Usually, this is no more than a few dollars.

(If you submit your fingerprints using the traditional “hard-card” fingerprint method, the cost for the fingerprint submission is $42.

Q. How do I submit payment for my electronic fingerprint submission?

A: The answer to this question depends upon where you have your fingerprints taken. A few sheriffs’ offices can accept payment by check or money order at the time and at the place where your fingerprints are scanned.

However, other sheriff's offices cannot accept such payments. If you have your prints scanned at a sheriff's office that cannot accept payment, you will have to submit payment online using a secure web site created by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Here is the link for the Civil Applicant Payment System, or CAPS.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IF PAYING ONLINE

It is important to remember that you will need to go online to submit payment for your fingerprint submission WITHIN 30 DAYS OF HAVING YOUR FINGERPRINTS SCANNED or your electronic response will be deleted by FDLE from the CWCS database.

You will need a CREDIT CARD in order to submit payment online using the Civil Applicant Payment System.

The RECEIPT that the fingerprint technician gave you will include a Transaction Control Number (TCN) and your name. (The TCN will begin with 70SX, 70LX, 70SO, or 70C and be followed by a number that will consist of as many as 18 digits.)

You must enter the TCN and your name in the appropriate spaces provided on the web site EXACTLY AS THEY APPEAR ON THIS RECEIPT.

Upon completion of payment submission, be sure to print a receipt indicating that you have completed your online payment.

Q. What do I submit to the Division of Licensing after I have submitted payment?

A: When you send your application to the Division of Licensing, be sure that you include copies of all RECEIPTS and the PHOTOCOPY of the electronic fingerprint submission given to you by the fingerprint technician. Please be sure that you include all of the following items:

1. a completed application
2. a passport-style color photograph
3. copies of training documentation
4. a check or money order in the amount of $75 for the licensing fee made payable to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WHEN SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION

Remember that you need only submit payment for the LICENSING FEE. You do not have to submit any additional payment for the electronic fingerprint scan.

You should submit your application to the Division of Licensing WITHIN 90 DAYS of your fingerprint-scan to avoid inconvenience and additional expense. Be sure to include the following items with your application: photocopies of your fingerprint scan and all receipts (including the CWCS receipt), a photograph, training documentation and a check or money order for the license fee.

Here is how the 90-day time limit can spare you additional expense and inconvenience. The Federal Bureau of Investigation will allow TWO FINGERPRINT SUBMISSIONS for the fee remitted if both submissions occur within 180 days. If a problem occurs with your first fingerprint submission AND we do not receive your application until after 90 days has passed, we may not have adequate time in which to analyze the problem and notify you so that you can submit a second set of fingerprints within the 180-day time frame. In this circumstance, we would have no alternative but to require you to have your fingerprints scanned again, and this would require the payment of an additional fingerprint fee.

REMINDER

Our Division strives to provide prompt and professional service to our applicants and licensees, but we are able to do so only insofar as the requirements of the law are complied with. Failure to follow these instructions precisely may result in the unnecessary delay of the processing of your application for licensure.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/CWCS/elecfingerprintinfo790.html

See less See more
#3 ·
here is what I put together

Ron, this is what I put together. Please take what you need from it and add it to yours if you want.

I put some tips on there with the fingerprints.

Also the proof of residency in Florida has to be supplied, utility bills etc for 90 days prior to application.

Also the CWCS receipt for the background check and fingerprints has to be submitted.

I would add that the full application package should be copied for your records so you know everything you submitted.

Also I would recommend using certified / return receipt mail to send it so you can track the application package.

Please check it for accuracy, I don't quite remember everything I did to apply so I just did my best.

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I basically edited the instructions from the Florida Division of Licensing web page and added the links where applicable.

The training documentation is discussed in the 'Application Instructions' link, so if somebody clicks on that link, they will see the DD-214 information.

The instructions that accompany the license application are quite good, so if someone carefully reads that information when they receive the license application packet, they should be in pretty good shape.

If something you see needs further clarification, or something needs to be added, just let me know.

#7 ·
I just called the Department of Licensing in Orlando FL:
Orlando Regional Office
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST)
Joe Barry, Supervisor
400 West Robinson Street, Room 110
Orlando, Florida 32801
Phone: (407) 245-0883
Fax (407) 317-7324
barryj@doacs.state.fl.us

From the DOA website :
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/staff/orlando.html
She indicated that we no longer have to send out application, obtain fingerprints or get a picture taken.
Simply complete an authorized concealed weapons training program, bring the certificate to the office (call ahead for an appointment, mandatory) and everything else is handled there.
She would not comment on a time line, however there was a member who posted that he received his in 8 days.
If you could verify this information for yourself and add it to the sticky, that would be great.
And thank you for all your hard work.
Jess

#8 ·
I sent mine in before I realized the I should make an appointment. It wouldn't have mattered because I don't get enough time off of work to go up into Jacksonville with an appointment. I take the days off they give me, so if I needed to make an appointment, I would have been SOL. Hopefully, the old method still works.

#15 ·
OK I have an odd question , I moved from Florida three years ago to Tennessee and changed my permit over ( it was treated like a renewal and only had to pay $50.00 and take a Tn Firearms coarse ) now we are moving back to Fl. and what is required of me to get my Fl. permit again ?

#16 ·
You get to start all over again. Your old class will still be good if you still have the certificate. You'll have to get the fingerprints, pictures, fill out the app & all the rest, just like you were doing for the first time or let your FL license expire (which you did.) The good news is that you don't have to wait until you get to FL, you can start the process today if you like. Simply go to the website & request an application packet. Folks are saying the process is running close to the 90 days to get your license after submission of your app...

Allan

#17 ·
I unfortunately lapsed in judgment a few years back and mine expired beyond the 6 month late reopening period. I went in with my expired one, they accepted that as my class for safety, took my fingerprints, picture and answered the questions. Paid my fee and had it in a jiffy

#20 ·
I have a question regarding the proof of training documents. I currently have my ccw, guard card, and exposed weapons permit in my home state. Can I submit these as proof that I've taken a safety course. I actually taken two courses and had to qualify twice. Once for the ccw and the other for the exposed permit. I ask because I'm trying to save the money and time from having to have to take a course. Thanks in advance any help is greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.