Question regarding purchasing suppressor in FL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding purchasing suppressor in FL

Question regarding purchasing suppressor in FL

A Jacksonville TV station reported on their evening news this week that a prospective purchaser of a suppressor in Florida is required to obtain permission from the local chief law enforcement officer. In this case, the Jacksonville sheriff has to personally sign-off on a purchase, and he won't do that.

Is this accurate? Thanks.

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ravendriver View Post
    A Jacksonville TV station reported on their evening news this week that a prospective purchaser of a suppressor in Florida is required to obtain permission from the local chief law enforcement officer. In this case, the Jacksonville sheriff has to personally sign-off on a purchase, and he won't do that.

Is this accurate? Thanks.
    No.

The recent changes to the process no longer requires a signature from the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO). The process now requires that the CLEO be notified. The notification process simply requires that you mail the applicable copy of the ATF Form 4 to the CLEO.

The CLEO copy of the Form 4 states:

This form provides notification of the transferee’s intent to acquire and possess a National Firearms Act (NFA) firearm. No action on your part is required. However, shouldyou have information that may disqualify this person from acquiring or possessing a firearm, please contact the NFA Division at (304) 616-4500 or [email protected]. A “Yes”answer to items 14.a. through 14.h. or 16.b. or 16.c. could disqualify a person from acquiring or possessing a firearm. Also, ATF will not approve an application if thetransfer or possession of the firearm is in violation of State or local law.

Link to the Form 4 for your reading pleasure:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/fo...53204/download

Google: 41P
    Last edited by TitleIIToyLover; 12-06-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ravendriver View Post
    Thanks!
    You are very welcome.
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

Super Moderator
    One benefit of the recent changes is they reversed the situation where Chief LEOs could and did refuse to sign, effectively creating a patchwork of places that citizens could or could not obtain NFA items! Now one can relish in giving the middle finger to Chief LEOs who refuse to honor their oath to uphold the Constitution.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
    One benefit of the recent changes is they reversed the situation where Chief LEOs could and did refuse to sign, effectively creating a patchwork of places that citizens could or could not obtain NFA items! Now one can relish in giving the middle finger to Chief LEOs who refuse to honor their oath to uphold the Constitution.
    It appears that this was the case in Jacksonville/Duval County, but no longer.

I've never bought a Title II firearm, or suppressor, before, but out of curiosity I looked at the form. So, what do people normally put into the "Necessity Statement?" My inclination would be to put, "Because I want to."

Quote Originally Posted by Denverd0n View Post
    I've never bought a Title II firearm, or suppressor, before, but out of curiosity I looked at the form. So, what do people normally put into the "Necessity Statement?" My inclination would be to put, "Because I want to."
    "All lawful purposes"

IIRC and it has not changed, North Carolina residents have to put "Research and Development" due to a quirk in the state statutes.

There was a time that we put funny things in the box, but Martinsburg lost its sense of humor. I saw a form for a machine gun that said "Because Chicks Dig Um"

When wait times got to be more than a year, people stopped doing anything that might cause a further delay.
    Last edited by TitleIIToyLover; 12-06-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TitleIIToyLover View Post
    "All lawful purposes"

There was a time that we put funny things in the box, but Martinsburg lost its sense of humor. I saw a form for a machine gun that said "Because Chicks Dig Um"

When wait times got to be more than a year, people stopped doing anything that might cause a further delay.
    Well don't they? Some would say "chicks" from Shannon Watts crowd don't, but then are they "chicks?"
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Distinguished Member safetyguy60's Avatar
    All lives matter! Speak softly but carry a big stick!
    Call your Local D.A.V. for help with Veterans Claims. Start here: http://www.dav.org/veterans/find-your-local-office/
    A brand new Veterans help web site:
    http://www.veterans.gov
    This is my site to help Vets: http://vietnamveteranhelp.yolasite.com/
    And this one for Florida Benefits: http://dma.myflorida.com/state-florida-fact-sheet/

Sposors