Florida Concealed Carry banner

30 year old arrest suspended my application

7K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  TitleIIToyLover 
#1 ·
30+ years ago, when I was 18, I was arrested for theft at a college party that turned ugly. (the 'stolen' item was a cheap disc camera, if you remember those) The next day the arresting officer called me to let me know that the person was not pressing charges and the matter was dropped and that was the end of it. When I filled out the app for Florida ccw I didn't see any checkboxes that I thought applied so I didn't check any 'bad' boxes. Now i'm told that I'm suspended until I get certified court documents establishing that the disposition of the charges doesn't affect my eligibility for licensure.

I don't even know what that means or where to start. The arrest was in Wisconsin and I already have an Illinois resident CCW. What can/should I do from here?

#2 ·
Were you “booked” and fingerprinted? If so, what was the charge, exactly? Normally just a call from the arresting Officer would be insufficient and you would be advised, in writing, from the prosecutors office that your charge was “no papered” or dropped.

#3 ·
I was booked and fingerprinted. Spent most of the night in jail, in fact, till a my friends were able to gather up the couple hundred dollars bail. I just remember getting a phone call, not ever getting anything in the mail, and I certainly don't have anything now. The charge was theft, value under $2500. Class A misdemeanor.

#4 ·
Well, the FBI has a record of it so contacting the Clerk of the Court in that Jurisdiction for a copy of the disposition is all I can think of, short of enlisting an attorney who may know how to expedite it for you. Good luck. :thumsup

#5 · (Edited)
Welcome to FCC, johnh123! :wave

MPDC66 nailed it. Your "suspension" is just to notify that processing of your application has suspended, which stops the clock on the 90 day window of time DOACS has by law to process an application (because they have no idea how long another jurisdiction will take to respond). You can also join Florida Carry and they may be able to hep expedite getting the proper documentation to DOACS.

Since your first started this thread, now would be a good time to also go back and post you're own Introduction thread to FCC so the members get to know you. You can do that by going to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. Then you'll find that lots of other FCC members will chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, too!

In case you weren't aware, you can stay current on pertinent Florida Statutes regarding use of force and firearms law by going right to the source using these links for Chapter 776 - Justifiable Use of Force and Chapter 790 - Weapons and Firearms. I'd also like to suggest you obtain your own copy of FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership by Jon Gutmacher!

Again, welcome to FCC! :grin[/QUOTE]

#6 ·
A similar thing happened to me. I wrote the clerk of the court and requested documentation. They replied they had none. My recollection was that there WAS a court case and it was adjudicated before judgement. But I had no proof. So there was an arrest, but no official record of a court disposition. I went back to the Dept of Ag and stated, basically, that since there was no record of conviction, that there was no reason to prevent me from getting the carry license, as I was not found guilty of anything. An arrest alone, is no cause for denial.

I was approved shortly after that.

#8 ·
No calls on anything of substance. I wanted written proof of all discussions. Keep copies of everything.

In the end, they need proof of something that would restrict your ability to get the license. An arrest without adjudication of guilt doesn't qualify. IMHO.

#11 ·
Everyone is going to be crossing Ts and dotting Is since the recent TX shooting.

Just respond appropriately and let them work through it. A document from the clerk of court would help speed thing up.

Join FC and ask them for advise if it starts to drag out.

ETA: Go introduce yourself if you want a warm welcome. We are a friendly bunch but like to know who we are talking to.

#12 · (Edited)
Hey Johnh123

This happened to me as Well and got the letter from them. All of a sudden on the 4th month i opened my mailbox and walla it was there! Whoooo fkin hoooooo!!!!

But can I ask you, does the letter ( if you got one ) says anything regarding they will look more to this case? In the Suspension letter I mean. If you havent got one you will.
My letter stated after the suspension part, that they need more time to look into it further.

But yea I was so sad and forgot all about it. Never called or anything. I just gave up and was very upset at myself. But like i mentioned in the 4th month, I got my ccw and never heard anything else!!!

Not saying dont do anything about it. My letter also said to send in any documents that may help me. It was me that decided to forget about it and work on it another time. After all Im still per.ites to drive with one in my vehicle and thats my top worry of the vehicle I drive people might want to do something to me to take it when i do drive that one. Anyway if you have the documents or can get them then hey go do it. My documents are very hard to get unless I fly nack to NYC and I tried getting things through the phone but lol its NYC understand you must show in person especially when they messed up and never added the court case final info in the systems.

Good luck buddy and wish you the best!

#13 ·
I called them to see what is going on. They are very diligent, I will give them that. They contacted the court system and they had no information so now they are contacting the local police department in Wisconsin.

I will check back with them next week. I think they will let me go when they don't get any info from the police.

#14 ·
I called them to see what is going on. They are very diligent, I will give them that. They contacted the court system and they had no information so now they are contacting the local police department in Wisconsin.

I will check back with them next week. I think they will let me go when they don't get any info from the police.
Yes they are and by and large do a great job. They're the rare government agency that really serves their customers well. Must be that "Customer Service" part of their name! :thumsup

#17 ·
Then carry on! :grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.