Florida Concealed Carry banner

Want to fight this 11 year old girl?

6K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  BeerHunter 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Very stylized and far from traditional samurai sword play. It kinda ruins it for me a bit. It becomes more of the gumnastics and less about the sword..........IMO

#13 ·
Oh how I would love for someone to take that video and add a light saber effect to her swordsmanship.

#21 ·
There are numerous videos with her name on it. No doubt, she's good at what she does.

My daughter was in karate until she was about 10, and one evening I remember watching a 14-year old, the daughter of an instructor, test for her adult Brown Belt. During that test, my thoughts went to, "Woe to the man that grabs her from behind in a dark alley, or to the guy that pushes her too far on a date." This young lady, at about 5'5"/130#, could absolutely break bones, and do it with intensity and enjoyment.

#23 ·
I guess I'll be the bad guy on this. I've seen the video before, and I am impressed with it on the same level that i'm impressed with someone who has taken years of dance classes and can execute a dance routine. Same thing as gymnastics routines. They are impressive displays and it takes a lot of skill to be able to execute it to the degree that she has.

But is it a good display of self defense skills? Not at all. It could be channeled to something that would be good self defense skills, but there are so many openings in the routines that someone skilled with hand to hand skills could take advantage of to stop her.

For what it is (a dance routine with a sword), it's pretty incredible. But in my opinion, that's all it is.

#24 ·
You aren’t alone, you expanded my reservations to the “new” trend in martial exhibition.

#26 · (Edited)
Of course, exhibition is almost always a "routine" - the key question is, Have they learned to apply those skills to a combat/resistance situation? I've always wondered about the value of martial arts training that doesn't at some point put on the protective gear and mix it up. Same would go for sword play. If you don't mix it up, what have you really learned? Heck, even training for a martial art like fencing or sabers, is heavily weighted with application over technique, though the technique is critiqued on an ongoing basis during the application part of the training.

I have a friend that has multiple degrees of Black Belt in American Kempo, and he used to take part in local and regional "ring fights" (I'm sure there's another name for it, but it's almost - not quite, "cage fighting"). Even though he is physically impressive, and wins far more than he loses in karate matches, he was getting his ass handed to him by smaller guys with expertise in MMA. He talked to them about their training techniques and learned that other than strength and conditioning, almost 100% of their training is applied/hands on... very little technique/routines (like katas). He ditched the dojo and started training with the MMA crowd, and he started winning a lot more of his fights. The difference in training was about the level of applied training.

#28 ·
Exhibition kata's and "being in the fray" skills are far apart as others have noted. I preferred the hands on training from the likes of Keating and Janich over the dojo belt systems. The one on one or two on one I make use of in some of the h2h/knife courses is where the rubber meets the road. People who've experienced it, seen it in the courses understand perfectly what I'm talking about.

Consider it similar to shooting vs fof. It's imperative to have tactics training, not just rote skills and katas. :grin

#29 ·
Exhibition kata's and "being in the fray" skills are far apart as others have noted. I preferred the hands on training from the likes of Keating and Janich over the dojo belt systems. The one on one or two on one I make use of in some of the h2h/knife courses is where the rubber meets the road. People who've experienced it, seen it in the courses understand perfectly what I'm talking about. :grin
That's exactly what came to mind when I saw this video the first time.

#31 ·
Some of the arts are well applied to the actual physical fight aspects.
I know two people both of whom practice Judo and Akido. Each one could toss you across the room and rip your arm off while doing so. But they also go to these demo type shows where they jump around and scream. The one who practices Akido says it's benefit and advantage is all about using your opponents weight and momentum against them.
What both demonstrate most to me is extreme mental strength and readiness.

#35 · (Edited)
Would like to see her up against my daughter but age would be a factor. This looks like exibition kata and not practical skills kata i.e. music during kata etc. When my daughter does Kata tournaments there is no music and utter silence is demanded except for contestants kiai. There are some forms of karate that are taught that are nothing but a money maker for dojo, we call them Mc Dojo's in the practical karate world.

Going to what Brownie states, many Dojo's in U.S. teach exibition type karate and only a few teach practical traditional, American Fushin Ryu teaches traditional Japanese karate. No excessive jumping through the air and endless spinning.

#37 ·
Spent many hours on a hard wooden bench watching my daughter lean the Arts since was 10. She is now 38. She carries everyday. All that training helps to repel far enough away until she gets a clear shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.