MB needs your counsel regarding a matter...
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MB needs your counsel regarding a matter...

Always lurking to pounce when necessary. :)

MB needs your counsel regarding a matter...

I am in need of some discussion regarding my personal safety. I’m sorry this is long, but you need to know what has happened so you can give me wise counsel as to how I should handle it going forward from this point.

There was a situation in our neighborhood that I felt needed addressed so I sent a private email to one of the board members asking a simple question and to bring this to her attention. Since mid-June I have been going to the pool to do an hour of laps. We have a keyed entry to the main part of the clubhouse and another key to access the gazebo off to the side of the pool. Just last week I sent the email asking why there was an additional combination lock on the gazebo gate that prevented residents from entering. She got back with me and informed me that another resident got tired of young men who are not part of our neighborhood jumping the gate and using the gazebo so he locked them out. She told me out of respect for him she could not identify him. I told her thank you for protecting his identity because although I didn’t ask for it there is no reason for me to know who he is. I also told her that it was not his job to lock out all of the residents who live in the neighborhood because he decided to take matters into his own hands. He is to report it to the board and let them deal with it. I told her that the lock needed to be removed immediately because I pay my dues and have a right to access the gazebo.

The next day the lock was moved over so the gate could be open but it was still attached to the gate to give the appearance that it was still in place. I emailed back and told her it was not acceptable that this resident was given a pass to simply shift the lock instead of removing it altogether sending him the message that he is still able to self-police the residents. I asked her how she knew who this person was and why this has not already been addressed. I told her she was leaving me with the impression she was either in on this or turning a blind eye since she has known about this for so long. And why would she allow the lock to be shifted instead of totally removed especially when she knew the reason why he installed it in the first place? What would happen if everyone in our entire development decided they also wanted to randomly install locks on the clubhouse gate? Would that be allowed, and if not, why is this man allowed to install a lock that only he has the combination to? Things just weren't adding up at this point.

During our back and forth she told me she added our property manager to the loop so she would know what was going on. After I asked her about why she knew about this and why it was allowed to continue the property manager sent me an email telling me to stop accusing people and blaming this woman for this matter. She then informed me then that this woman was not even on the board anymore.

The next day I returned to the pool and after my laps a man entered the clubhouse and walked out onto the pool deck and asked me if my name was (let’s call me MamaBear, but he used my real name), I said yes and asked him how he knew my name because I didn’t know who he was. I will add that there was one other older man who had just arrived and got in the pool at this time so I was not alone out there with him. At that point his whole countenance changed and he started raising his voice at me and asked me if I was the one who sent the emails. I told him he had no right installing a lock keeping residents out of the gazebo. He marched over to the gate and jerked it up and down and then jerked the lock to show me it was broken, and that he put the lock there because the kids came out at night and scared him and his guests. He was definitely raising his voice at me at this time. I told him that he had no right to lock out the rest of the residents because we pay our dues to have access to the gazebo. I told him that it was not his job to control the actions of other people and to call the association again to fix the lock. He was very angry at this point and informed me that I did not understand the situation and that the association would not fix the lock so he put his own lock on. He was mad and started pacing around and accusing me of being part of the problem for trying to get his lock removed. He then told me he had never even seen me on the gazebo anyway. After this short outburst of his I knew he was irrational so I proceeded to walk out to my car.

After I got home I realized how shaken I was. Then I was furious. I called the property manager and left a v.e.r.y. chilly message and told her I was FURIOUS that this angry man knew who I was. I told her that this man had tracked me down at the clubhouse and had accosted me and proceeded to berate and humiliate me in front of another guest. HOW DARE someone give him my name and not protect my identity and privacy. I was outraged and it definitely came through on my message. I came completely unglued. I have to say I have not been that livid in forever because that is simply not part of my nature. So this has gone from me bringing attention to a lock that shouldn’t be there to me being afraid to go back to the clubhouse knowing this man knows who I am and knows that I go to the pool in the mornings. Does he also have my last name? Has he already looked up my name to get my address? Is he going to be stalking me now because he is furious that sent the emails? Is he going to accost me again if I go back to the pool? Is he a raging lunatic who will try to hurt or kill me because he is so irrational? Who is this man? What is HIS name? Why does he know about me and I don’t know who he is? WHO gave him and name and WHY was my privacy not protected like his was?

After my phone call I got another email from the property manager telling me that this man could have gotten my name off any public site and that she can't control that we happened to be at the pool at the same time, and that neither she nor this other woman gave him my name. There was more to the email but this shows her tone. I did call back and left yet another message and told her that I had every right to be furious because not only did this man call me by name he was brazen enough to track me down at the clubhouse and openly confront me, and it was because one of the two of them gave him my name. She has not said one word that she is concerned that my privacy has been exposed or that she is in the least bit concerned about my safety knowing I have been confronted by an angry man at the clubhouse.

Last night I sent a summary of this to the president of the homeowners association asking for a meeting with the entire board. I will request a sheriff’s officer to be there because at this point it is about my safety in my own neighborhood knowing that my privacy has not been protected. I want the sheriff to know that I am afraid of this man because of the way he tracked me down and exploded his anger on me, and that because of the actions of these women I do not feel safe in my own neighborhood. I have not heard back from her since it is a holiday weekend. I will follow up with you, but in the meantime, what are your thoughts?
    MB

Yes, I had Bear in my swim bag because he goes everywhere with me. I would not have hesitated to defend myself had this man decided to physically attack me instead of raging at me. I kept enough distance between us at all times that I would have had time to draw Bear if it came to that. I will also add that I was as cool as a dead man when talking to him. I did not raise my voice. I did not provoke him in any way. I got out of there after his outburst.

I will post this thesis and give time for y’all to reply before I reply again. I want to discuss if I have any legal recourse for my name and emails being exposed to this man knowing only these two women had the emails. I want to discuss self defense in a pool setting when I obviously can't carry Bear in the water. I have been going to the far end of the pool and using the table in the corner, I keep my head on swivel when I am in the water, I keep an eye on the entry way, I keep an eye on any movement. I don't know what else to do at this point. I want to discuss what I need to say to the sheriff's officer. Please tell me any of your thoughts that will see me through this. I refuse to stop going to the pool because of this jerk, but at the same time I don't want to invite another confrontation.

I will add that as important as this is you have to understand that there is an Alabama game on at 8 and even this will not stand in my way from watching it. Roll Tide!

I will check back with you soon. Thank you, my sweet and caring friends.
    MamaBear

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim - Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you. (Ovid)

MB, if I had a similar situation, my wife and I would both go to see the property manager- in person- and insist on having her schedule a meeting with her, this man, and whoever else may be involved to discuss the actions of all involved. "Whoever else" would include anyone else who is on the BG's lease- significant other, etc. What happens next would depend on the property manager's actions and the result of the meeting if it occurs. The more serious self defense questions that you ask will be of general interest regardless, but you need to address your specific situation as well.
    Last edited by Steve48; 09-02-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    Steve
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    I am in need of some discussion regarding my personal safety. I’m sorry this is long, but you need to know what has happened so you can give me wise counsel as to how I should handle it going forward from this point.
    First thing, I would have denied that I was "Ms. Mamabear" (when asked.... for my personal safety) and asked him who he was. If he refused to tell me I would have told him to Bug off. I would have denied him any information about me (or force him to confirm to me that he know who I was). I'd have left the pool area ASAP and taken a circuitous route away to see if he were tailing me. If yes, then I definitely would not have gone home but to a police station to report that he was tailing me.

Secondarily, it becomes a matter of the squeakier wheel getting the grease with the HOA/Property mgr. I'm thinking he might have been the squeakier wheel at first, as he's claiming it as a "security/safety" matter. I'm thinking the mgt. co doesn't want the potential liability of any safety incidents happening on property they control. But it also seems like they don't want to provide funding for security for the pool area, either. That's their responsibility. My HOA does provide a security officer on the weekends and then daily during summer months when kids are out of school, just to ensure that only residents are using it. We all have key tokens that operate the magnetic gate lock. But that might not stop any one from crashing or forcing the gate open.

You need to become the squeakier wheel with the property mgt. and HOA board. And by that, I mean you might want to consider organizing some of your neighbors to appear at the next HOA meeting and making your voices heard about this. I agree with you that no one resident should be able to lock up the pool area and prevent other residents (who pay the fee) from using it. Good idea to bring a sheriff's deputy with you to the next meeting... for your own safety if no other reason. As for the immediate situation with the pool, I'd not try to confront the man again. If you see the lock on the gazebos again, take pictures of it and build evidence for your case with the property mgr/HOA. If it means that much to you, you could involve a lawyer to argue with the HOA on your behalf. After all, you're being denied a resource you're entitled to use, since you pay for it. But make sure your contract with the HOA doesn't require "arbitration" that almost always favors them.

This happened to me as well, but in a different scenario. I was hit by a truck many years ago (minor damage, no injury). And, as it turned out, we had the same insurance company, but different agents. Shortly after reporting the accident to my agent, I received a call from the owner of the truck (not the driver), attempting to get me to use their body shop to effect the repairs. First of all my phone numbers are all "non published" and were at the time, so how did the Truck owner get it? It was given to her by her agent (not mine). I tore their insurance agent a new one for giving out my private information to a potential adversary that I might have to take to court! In the end, I used the body shop of my choice and they had to pay. But if they wanted to challenge, that could have gotten ugly, quickly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Riverpigusmc's Avatar
    you need a redneck in your entourage......
    "All civilians are targets or dependants" Drill Instructor Boone, Parris Island

I don't own the clothes I'm wearing..and the road goes on forever..
    NRA Life Member
    Florida Carry Member
    Wilson Combat CQB, Kimber Tactical Pro, S&W J frame

COTEP #523
    Founding Member

Somebody locks you out, just cut off the lock and throw it in a garbage can. ( EVERY TIME)
    I could never live in a Nazi camp run by some idiot gestapo Home Owner association. It seems the only people on the boards are brainless idiots that have "NO" life except to make everyone in the neighborhoods life miserable.
    My cousin lives in a ritzy place and had a pickup truck. He was not allowed to park it outside in "HIS" driveway overnight. They sent him letters and fines and harassed him to death.
    He sold his new Ford Pickup and bought an old piece of junk 70 something Chevy half car half pick up bed that was a beat up rusty eyesore. ( El Camino) sic.
    It was registered as a car and he then parked it out on the street 24 hours a day. It was tagged and it was not a truck so the Nazi's had nothing to say about it at all. His immediate neighbors were fine with it because they all had problems at one time or another withe the HOA.
    If it happens again, just cut the lock off and enjoy the pool or whatever else you pay dues for.
    Ronnie
    N.R.A. - FLORIDA CARRY - D.A.V. - American Legion - M.C.A.--- U.S. Army disabled Veteran, GOA
    If you are not a member of the N.R.A. - It is time to join - Turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members
    If your not a member of FLORIDA CARRY it is time to join.

Distinguished Member
    I say have brownie pay em all a little visit while he's down there in November and be done with this.

I'll sell tickets to watch and donate the funds to a charitable organization of your choice.

Seriously though, that's a completely unacceptable position to be placed in. There's zero excuse and several people have dropped the ball.

Wish I had some words of wisdom other than good luck and stay safe MB.

Find out who this idiot is.

Then, remove the lock from the gate without damaging it, if possible
    Next, take the lock and use it to secure a concrete block to one of the wheels on his car.
    Finally, break a key off inside the lock.

For extra credit, you could include a note that says: "How's it feel?"

But since he already knows your identity, probably best not to stir the pot.
    Let the HOA deal with it.

Throw a pool party for FCC members and make it ‘open carry’.........
    God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
    USMC 66-69 "wing wiper" Sgt E-5

DON'T DISS THE DONALD!

COTEP #744

Seriously, do a bit of research here...... http://www.floridacondohoalawblog.com

Rules CAN become your friend if you know what they actually are and Florida is nothing if not rife with Condo/HOA Law.
    God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
    USMC 66-69 "wing wiper" Sgt E-5

DON'T DISS THE DONALD!

COTEP #744

I like the idea of a sharp knife clipped inside your suit.

I do a lot of mountain biking and wear spandex shorts with no pockets. The Camelbak is too cumbersome to reach into quickly so I tuck a small Spyderco into the waste band of my shorts. The clip, and the fact that it's pressed against my flesh, keep it perfectly steady. It's never once shifted on me and I don't feel it at all. You should be able to swim with one with no worries.

You'd have a strong advantage because most people would never suspect a woman getting out of a pool to be armed.

Sposors