Florida Concealed Carry banner

Conceal carry in public mall

76K views 142 replies 57 participants last post by  mike1956 
#1 ·
As a conceal permit holder, are you allowed to conceal in a public mall? I know you can't if the mall doesn't allow weapons. I attempted to search the statues and the forums and came up with nothing. Many thanks.

#2 ·
Perfectly legal, even if the mall has a 'no weapons' policy. They can, however, ask you to leave if they discover you carrying and refusing to do so would be considered trespassing.

Personally, I wouldn't go to a mall without a gun. ;)

#8 ·
As a FL Concealed Weapons/Firearms License holder, the one statute you absolutely need to be familiar with is §790.06 Florida Statutes in particular, and the rest of §790, which deals with weapons and firearms in general. In §790.06, paragraph (12) lists the places you cannot carry even with your CWFL.

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
Malls are not listed, therefore not forbidden BY LAW to carry. However, private property owners are free to ask you to leave for any reason whatsoever, therefore the signs are meaningless. After having been asked, should you refuse to leave, you could be charged with armed trespass.

#12 ·
if you are carrying your weapon properly concealed nobody would ever know that you were carrying. I've carried in a room full of secret service agents and not one made me, so if you are in a place like a mall that really doesn't want cc permit in their mall, and you are concealing properly how would they know?

#13 ·
Exactly.
I was working on an Emergency Management drill a couple years back. In a facility full of Local & County LEOs, Highway Patrol, FDLE, FWC, FDOT, FDOC, FBI, Air Force, DHS and others, never a second look. Oh, and my ID badge and desk clearly identified me as a civilian.

Never seen so many different alphabet agency jackets in a single place at the same time.:)

#19 ·
Originally Posted by cherring2004 View Post
I'm carrying concealed right now at the Wellington Mall eating food.

and you are printing
Hey, My wife saw him also and felt uncomfortable being around a guy displaying a tennie weenie gun, so we went to Panera Bread to eat. LOL

#21 ·
Even if signs have no legal basis, I refuse to go to a mall that does not want to honor the Constitution. I'm not going to spend any of my money at a venue that does not wish to abide by the rights of citizens.

If you could reason with "Progressives," there would be no "Progressives."

#22 ·
Don't confuse the "Mall" with the vendors. Here in Fort Myers "Simon Property Group, Inc." runs the Edison Mall, but every vendor in there is an independent tenant. By buying from the vendors I guess you could argue you're indirectly supporting Simon thru their rent...but is that fair? The Mall manager sets the policies regarding security, not the vendors.

Most vendors are on a lease so they cannot simply pack up and leave... To make money, particularly if your product is an "impulse buy" item, you have to have your store where the people go.

My point is by boycotting the mall you're targeting the wrong people.

Allan

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
Hospital section? Please explain.

#31 ·
I was wondering the same thing about bass pro shop in dania I was asking about a holster there the other day and the guy helping me told me firearms have to checked and secure at the front counter concealed or otherwise. He asked me if I had one on me to which I replyed no.

#32 ·
From what I can find, that does not correspond with Bass Pro Shops corporate policy, which is that you may do whatever the law says you may do. In states where open carry is permitted, that too is permitted in the stores.

However there are multiple reports of individual stores attempting to ignore corporate policy, and then changing their ways when someone drops a dime to corporate on them. Perhaps you should call the home office. But I'd talk to the store manager so you can provide corporate with the name of the person who needs education.

#34 ·
When he informed me they all guns concealed or range weapons had to be safty checks and locks installed when entering the store. I sited the florida state statue and his reply to that was that there was a sign at the do as to the sign I told him the law states that sign means nothing he contuined to tell me that is required with all retailers I went on to tell him I would no longer be shopping in the store and left the store and have not went back

#37 ·
It won't change unless you rat them out to corporate.

#35 ·
And as for speaking with the store manager that would go over like a fart in church since my ex girl friend is one of them

#39 ·
Then, you wouldn't much care for the largest gun store/range chains in the Orlando area. I think they even have a couple locations outside O-town.

They request to paw your guns when you enter to verify they are unloaded and safe. They even want all magazines to be unloaded when you enter.

Just ONE of the several reasons I haven't set foot in one of their locations in over a year now. :rolleyes:

#41 ·
Sadly, I bought my EDC there. I got a decent deal from a sales person who did well in my opinion. I was eager to spend more money and time in thier establishment's ranges.

Honestly, in the beginning, the requirement to hand them my gun didn't bother me. It was their "attitude" regarding the rule that soured my stomach on it. They just take this entitled mentality towards it. "Um, NO, you're handling my gun because I gave you permission, NOT because you're entitled to it, I chose to do business here. Show a little appreciation."

The final straw was when goofball clerk struggled to operate my gun and dropped my magazine on the floor, nearly dropping the hole gun that sent me packing out the door never to return.

How does a gun store clerk NOT know how to operate a Beretta 92?? Isn't that like the most recognizable handgun on the market? :banghead(actually, it's a 96, but, it's the same dang gun...just a bigger hole on the end! :D)

Edit: Sorry about spelling. Eyes are dialated from an eye exam. I honest to God cannot see right now!

#42 ·
For those of us not living in the Orlando area, but might have had a brand new store just open in Fort Myers, care to name the chain?

#43 ·
I work at the Bass Pro in Ft. Myers. My understanding, and the policy in our store, is that if you are bringing in a firearm for service, to test a holster or otherwise have waving around in the store, then the weapon has to be checked at the Customer Service Desk as you enter the store (same thing with bows.) If you are simply a visitor/shopper with a CWFL and have a concealed self-defense firearm on you WHICH WILL STAY CONCEALED while you are in the store, then "check in" is not required nor expected. The only ones in the store you can be sure are unarmed are the employees (at least the ones who want to stay on the "Pay Continuation Plan";-);-)...)

I can't speak to the "policy" of other stores in our Corporation, but as is said in here frequently "concealed is concealed" and the sign doesn't mean much legally...

Allan

#44 ·
It's not Bass Pro I'm speaking of Birdman. While I think your prices are a little steep for my wallet at times, I've never had anything but an incredibly good drooling over everything in the store experience. :D

rnascak, normally, I don't hesitate to flame what I feel to be a bad example of a business. However, in this case, since there may be members here who are employed or otherwise associated, out of respect for them, I won't mention it publicly. I had another one of those knee jerk keyboard episodes again here and probably ranted a little to hard on them. . Honestly, it's only one location I'm upset with and even then, it was one employee. I just get a little hot under the collar when I feel my business isn't valued. As I said, I had an excellent experience buying originally. But, that was at a location no where near convenient to me. that location just had what I was initially looking for. I won't penalize a whole chain for one employee's act.

That being said, their unloaded guns rule is fine. Most ranges have it. Unloaded mags and pawing my gun to verify it...too much.

I honestly would have probably given them a 2nd chance, but, I found a range/store closer to home that I enjoy anyway.

But, since you ask where....PM inbound. Otherwise, YMMV.

#47 ·
It's not Bass Pro I'm speaking of Birdman...
Actually I was responding more to reply #34 by Reaper which called out Bass Pro by name (Dania store I think) regarding being told to check all firearms at the door than I was to yours .

I was wondering the same thing about bass pro shop in dania I was asking about a holster there the other day and the guy helping me told me firearms have to checked and secure at the front counter concealed or otherwise. He asked me if I had one on me to which I replyed no.
Somewhere in the following few replies the thread drifted to your experience. I ASSUMED you're talking about SS, who just opened a new store here in Fort Myers. I have been in the store, but haven't been in there enough to form my own opinion...

Allan

#45 ·
The only ones in the store you can be sure are unarmed are the employees
Interesting. Here in Jax, at every gun shop I've been to, the staff are always OCing. Considering what high targets they are, it makes a lot of sense. Convenience store clerks, liquor store people, they should be able to CC or OC, too, as they prefer.

During lunch hour I went over to Shooters today, and they had the S&W 638 2 1/2" I've been eying and I checked it out. Y'know, I've been reading here and there that S&W quality isn't what it used to be, but that was a very nicely made gun with clock-work locking and excellent balance.

#46 ·
mandarin, I think you'll find most gun stores/ranges to be carrying in some form. But, the big, coporate big box stores, such as Bass Pro and Gander Mountain won't allow their employees to carry.

On a side note...if you like the S&W, I say go for it. Balance and operation is key from a personal standpoint. :thumsup

#50 ·
yes birdman i was speaking about the dania store as for other bass pro stores like the one in destin were my inlaws live i will still shop there when i am there but dania i will not step foot in again do to the employee tell me that and another issue i had will an over opionated female employee in the knife department that wanted to force her ideas on my wife and i about my wife carrying a knife

#61 ·
yes birdman i was speaking about the dania store ...but dania i will not step foot in again do to the employee tell me that ...
This morning I asked the "powers that be" in the Bass Pro where I work regarding the Corporate Policy. It is as I thought. If you are a CWFL holder then they do not expect you to disarm or check in. Just keep the "CONCEALED" firearm(s) concealed and no one cares. If you are not concealed, you'll be asked if you have a CWFL and then if you do to cover it up...

Again, please do Bass Pro a favor and let the store management know about your experience. Store management is very sensitive to a negative experience by one of their guests/customers.

Allan

#68 ·
On Post, correct, when the post is staitonary.

You are correct, I normally run patrol, and checking on our gatehouse Officers, the Post in this case is my patrol vehicle.

I do not work gate house, which on our contracts are not normally armed.

And respond to our G license Officers on posts were they request back up. We are not Police, we have stayed with single LEO prior to their partners arriving in gated community's.
G Licensed carry is from our perspective, self defense.

We operate in some poor areas, poor from the perspective of not good!

Wait for Deputy's to arrive at the scene of break in's, exchange info, and we have a good relationship with our local sector Officers.

Some of them do not even treat us as second class citizens.

#69 ·
It's all good, brother. I held a D and G license for a lonnnnnnnng time. At least ya'll can carry real pistols now...I was stuck with a POS .38....Didn't do G posts often, thank goodness.

Just be careful where you stop when armed and in uniform. Some folks would love to put your Brit butt in the slam for it.

:drinks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.