Florida Concealed Carry banner

Out of state ccw

21K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  scottzcamaro 
#1 ·
Hi all, I will be moving to Clearwater next month. I currently hold a Ohio ccw (for 6 years now). I like to be able to transfer it into a Florida ccw. Does anyone have any idea if there is a "special" process for this.....or will I just have to start at the very beginning of the application process?

Florida has reciprocity with Ohio so I'm glad I will still be protected in the meantime.

#2 ·
Being in the same boat as you you can not just turn in your OH CHL for a FL CCW.

You must apply for the Florida CCW just like you did in Ohio. The only difference is it can be done by mail or you can make an appointment (just like in OH) with the district office and file the application electronically.

#6 ·
Holding my Ohio Identification as I am on OH unemployment from my layoff while seeking work down here. I filled out all the paperwork for my FL CCW permit, just have to send it in. You can hold a Florida CCW with an outof state ID since Florida issues non-resident permits. You can even fill it out with your Florida address, if you know it already, so that you can have your FL CCW before your FL DL. If you turn your OH DL in for a FL DL you OH DL and CHL are immediate canceled. Further more, Florida does not acknowledge non resident carry permits but they due allow reciprocity. Basically, since you have a OH DL and OH CHL your covered under reciprocity but if you had a OH DL and a PA CHL, the state of Florida would not recognize the PA CHL since you are not a PA resident and you could be guilty of unlawful CCW.

My advice is to get the FL CCW packet and fill it out ahead of time so you can get your FL CCW BEFORE you get your FL DL so that you will be able to carry with out a lapse in licensing.

*EDIT*
You can use your OH NRA certificate for the FL CCW, however, if it is expired you will have to take the course again and obtain a new NRA Certificate. If that is the case, wait until you get here as you can get a NRA Certificate here in ~4 hours versus Ohio's mandatory 10 hours classroom and 2 hours range time. Classes are also cheaper here.

#7 ·
Holding my Ohio Identification as I am on OH unemployment from my layoff while seeking work down here. I filled out all the paperwork for my FL CCW permit, just have to send it in. You can hold a Florida CCW with an outof state ID since Florida issues non-resident permits. You can even fill it out with your Florida address, if you know it already, so that you can have your FL CCW before your FL DL. If you turn your OH DL in for a FL DL you OH DL and CHL are immediate canceled. Further more, Florida does not acknowledge non resident carry permits but they due allow reciprocity. Basically, since you have a OH DL and OH CHL your covered under reciprocity but if you had a OH DL and a PA CHL, the state of Florida would not recognize the PA CHL since you are not a PA resident and you could be guilty of unlawful CCW.

My advice is to get the FL CCW packet and fill it out ahead of time so you can get your FL CCW BEFORE you get your FL DL so that you will be able to carry with out a lapse in licensing.

*EDIT*
You can use your OH NRA certificate for the FL CCW, however, if it is expired you will have to take the course again and obtain a new NRA Certificate. If that is the case, wait until you get here as you can get a NRA Certificate here in ~4 hours versus Ohio's mandatory 10 hours classroom and 2 hours range time. Classes are also cheaper here.
Thats some great Info! Exactly the kind of info Im looking for. I will have to check my NRA cert and see if its expired.

#4 ·
I was in class with a fellow who moved here from Oregon with their license. Even though there is reprocity, he needed law enforcement, military or the Fla class in order to apply here. So, he came to class.

#5 ·
I moved here from Michigan. Used my Michigan NRA class certificate, filled put application sent it in with $117.00 and recieved it in 4 weeks.
Easy process!

#11 ·
From < http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html >

To apply for a CWL in Florida you need to provide;

F.S. 790.06 (h)Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1.Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2.Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3.Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4.Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5.Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6.Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7.Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
Unfortunately a CHL, CWL, CCW or whatever your State calls it is NOT on the list. OBTW you need to learn about the laws here in Florida anyway so you might as well take a course...OR get a copy of "Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership" < http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/ > OR read F.S. 790 real close (there's a copy in your CWL packet from the Sheriff's office or DOA.)

Also note there is NO mention of a "current" NRA course completion certificate so I believe an expired one (whatever that is) would be adequate. You only need to prove you took a class.

Allan

#13 ·
Also from Ohio. Filled out the FL application, provided copies of Ohio training certificate, Ohio CWL, and sent $117 with photo and fingerprint card. It only took 18 days to get the FL CWFL back in the mail last September. Once here, I simply notified the Division of Licensing of my new address in FL. Relatively painless.

You should familiarize yourself with FL carry laws by reading 790, taking a class, or by diving into this forum. Good luck!

#14 ·
OP, I am pretty sure your NRA Certificate expired. Mine is only good for 5 years.

#16 ·
What do you mean your NRA Certificate expired? I'm an NRA Certified Instructor and the Certificates for the course completion given to the students, which are acceptable to the State of Florida for their CWL application, have no expiration date on them. Can you give an example, what NRA Certification are you talking about?

Thanks,

Allan

#18 ·
We are here in Clearwater now. We have been here since April 1st. We are all working and the kids just got out of school. We are all settled in and it is beautifully here (and friggen HOT!)

Anyway, We are still running around on Ohio tags and DL's. I didn't know it was $250/vehicle extra to register a car/truck/boat here? I am still carrying under my Ohio DL + CCW. So we are ready to officially become "Floridiots." Do I automatically loose my CCW privileges or (from what i have been reading) is my Ohio license good for 90 days after that?

#19 ·
Sorry for bringing up a old thread just want to make sure.

So If I live in Michigan currently I can apply for Flordia ccw by mail / web? If so is there a link or number.

I am planning to move to Fort Myers Flordia in the next 6-7 months just want to get this out of the way.

Scott

#21 ·
NRA Certificates do not expire............I would just call 1-561-640-6144. This is an expediting office for the Dept of Agriculture, Lisc. Div. in WPB. They will give you a number closer to you where you can set an appointment. They will take your photo's, fingerprints, and notorize your application. The permit will come to your FLorida home within 10-21 days. The quickest way to get a FL CCW.

Bttbbob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.