Florida Concealed Carry banner

What does HST mean?

28K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  MPDC66 
#1 ·
Call me naive, but what does HST mean on Federal Premium's self defense +p HP ammo? My only guess is that it means High Shock Trauma .

Kev

#3 ·
I understood HST to mean Hydra Shok Two. Either way, it is an upgraded Hydra Shok as Brownie stated.

#4 · (Edited)
The HST is actually called the HST2 loading from Federal.

The HST is actually closer in design to their older Hy-shok ammo than Hyrda shok loadings in that the HST2 doesn't have the post in the center of the bullet like the Hydra shok does.

#8 ·
The HST is actually closer in design to their older Hy-shok ammo than Hyrda shok loadings in that the HST2 doesn't have the post in the center of the bullet like the Hydra shok does.
I have been unable to find more HSTs since my first order. Especially 147s. ATG has had Hi-Shock LE for a while now, in that weight. Are they quite comparable?

#5 ·
Brownie and madcap,

Thanks for the answers. Once I get my permit (appt at regional center Dec 8th) and my rig from Dave, these will be what I use for carry ammo.

I did have the chance to test them in my Ultra Carry new out of the box using the factory kimber mags and had no issues. Although, I did mix it up between remington 230 gr ball and these. Rappid fire with these to end the day with the target about 25' away, 6 shots center of mass that you can cover with palm (fingers tight), and 1 zinger in the gut/kidney area.

I will admit that I do need more training/practice, but I think I found a winning combo.

Kev

#6 ·
... 6 shots center of mass that you can cover with palm (fingers tight), and 1 zinger in the gut/kidney area.

Kev
Aww that was just your warning shot that went astray ....

#10 ·
Don't know if its habit or any real advantage but Hydra Shok 147 gives me the warm fuzzies. The new fangled HST, not as much!:rolf:rolf

Seriously, I like Hydra Shok but would aso buy HST IF the Hydra Shok wasn't available and could also live with Ranger or Remington rounds in 147 HP versions. All good, slow , heavy luger rounds!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.