Florida Concealed Carry banner

Best holsters for IWB appendix carry?

26K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  paragon1 
#1 · (Edited)
Best holsters for Appendix IWB carry?

I'm looking into purchasing a new IWB holster that I can position up front for appendix carry. What I have now serves its purpose well enough, but at the price I got it for, it's left me wondering if there's something better I could move up to.

My concealment pistol is a full sized 1911. I know (from an older poll) that appendix carry isn't too popular here, but it's my chosen route so I'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
MTAC Minotaur works for appendix carry if you adjust it to zero cant. Problem with more cant is the gun sits too low, hindering the draw.

Personally, anything over a 3" bbl is near impossible to appendix carry for me. I only do it when I'm driving then I usually appendix carry my XDSC in the Minotaur with the XDM in a shoulder holster. Since I travel between NC and Fl. pretty frequently, the long ride has me in the habit of never leaving a weapon in the car unless its just too hot for the shoulder holster. Unusual since I can wear it over a t shirt with a loose shirt over the top.

You might also try a leather rig from the holster store dot com. Pretty high quality for the money and you can get it with a slide guard. The length of the bbl is, however, the limiting factor for me on these.

#3 ·
I limit appendix carry to 4" guns, and I use that mode quite often. My DonHume 715s have served me well over the years, but my favorite, by far is LittleBear's Aegis Calypto.

Shown here with my (former) G27:

#4 ·
I'll check 'em out. Thanks. What's a "slide guard", by the way?

I limit appendix carry to 4" guns, and I use that mode quite often. My DonHume 715s have served me well over the years, but my favorite, by far is LittleBear's Aegis Calypto.

Shown here with my (former) G27:

Littlebear is custom made stuff, correct? How much did that run you, if you don't mind me asking?

#5 ·
If you look in the shadow of RCR's Little Bear holster, that's the slide guard. Look just over the top of the slide there. It covers the slide so the knerling and grips of the slide isn't rubbing the skin/holes in the t-shirt.

Some like'em and some don't.

Kev

#7 ·
The slide guard is the back portion of the holster that goes up the slide/frame, but allowing full grip, so the wearer doesn't get bite or sweat all over it. Mine are to order where some are "standard" size.
A 5" is a difficult, for most people, pistol to carry appendix. Not impossible because everyone is different. Tucker, Garrett Industries, I wanna say Mitch Rosen and quite a few others make one. Some kydex some not. Warning w/ kydex in that position, it doesn't give. I have one from Garrett that I wear strong, crossdraw, sob and appendix... it isn't fun up front at the 1 oclock because it doesn't give.
One thing, you don't want the clip running down the middle of the slide, in my meager opinion, because it will make the holster that much wider. If there is no choice, make sure the clip is adjustable.
There isn't anything wrong with appendix carry. ALOT of my cop friends in WA wear it; especially after they went to a class from Front Sight in Yakima. It is fast and it is easy to guard, so to speak.
I have built some from Ruger LCP's to full size CZ 75's. The holster has to be cut right for the wearer or it won't be pretty and can be painful?

Good luck and if you can't find anyone to help you and my stuff doesn't fit your bill, drop me a PM and I will help you find a maker who can.

V/R

#8 ·
im still sticking with BladeTech IDPA approved IWB with tabs..........solid dependable affordable.........

#10 ·
#11 ·
I carry a G26 in a Minotaur Neutral (Appendix Carry) Cant Holster at about 1 - 2 o'clock. I find it comfortable, easy to obtain a firing grip and draw from and it does a good job of concealment.

#17 ·
+1 on the Minotaur Neutral Cant. Due to my right arm restrictions, this is the only option for me. However, now that I've experienced it for awhile, I would continue to carry in this manner through choice. However, as mentioned before, probably best for barrels less than 4" or so, as sitting would be very uncomfortable with a longer barrel (at least for me).

Handgun holster Gun accessory Starting pistol Airsoft gun Revolver

#12 ·
One added bit of advice. IF you buy a holster that fits more than one bbl. length of a model of weapon, be aware it will probably be longer and therefore less comfortable than necessary IF you have a short bbl'd version like an XDSC or G26. It will be about an inch longer than you need so going with a subcompact specific holster for appendix carry makes lots of sense.

#13 ·
A lot of these seem like they've got more mass than I might be comfortable with. What I'm currently carrying in is a plain Ace's "universal hide-a-holster". It's small, it's plain, my 1911 fits well in it, and it doesn't have any unnecessary mass extending down into my pants (just enough to cover trigger, trigger guard, and mag release. Would be pointless touting the slimness of the 1911 if it had a bunch of bulk added around the barrel end of the slide because of a holster). My only gripes are the lack of a "slide guard" and its inability to cant much. If I could get myself a holster similar to this cheap little thing with those two things included, I'd be set.

#16 ·
I'm looking into purchasing a new IWB holster that I can position up front for appendix carry. What I have now serves its purpose well enough, but at the price I got it for, it's left me wondering if there's something better I could move up to.

My concealment pistol is a full sized 1911. I know (from an older poll) that appendix carry isn't too popular here, but it's my chosen route so I'd appreciate some suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Appendix carry is fine, even with a 5" 1911. Sitting down and being comfortable, is another feat! A Crossbreed Holster will work for you: Supertuck IWB but they also sell a OWB holster that will work.

#18 ·
Honestly, a lot of these are too bulky to wear with the style of pants that I wear (no, they're not skinny jeans! You wouldn't catch me dead in those things, and if you did, you'd find that they were the cause of death). From the waist to the bottom of the crotch on my jeans is about 8.5 inches, compared to about 12.5 inches from waist to bottom of crotch in the cut that I used to wear (I need to donate these things. I've had a bunch of them sitting in a bag for years).

The thing with a lot of the suggested holsters is that they would add unnecessary bulk around the nice, slim 1911, defeating my whole reason for having chosen it as my carry piece. They would also make it pretty damn uncomfortable for my junk when sitting down. The way I have it now, my 1911 ends up resting just inbetween my junk and my thigh (works well if you sit like a man).

If anyone knows of a holster similar to this one, that allows the slide and barrel to hang freely past the trigger guard, and has a "slide guard", then please lemme know.

#19 · (Edited)
Honestly, a lot of these are too bulky to wear with the style of pants that I wear (no, they're not skinny jeans! You wouldn't catch me dead in those things, and if you did, you'd find that they were the cause of death). From the waist to the bottom of the crotch on my jeans is about 8.5 inches, compared to about 12.5 inches from waist to bottom of crotch in the cut that I used to wear (I need to donate these things. I've had a bunch of them sitting in a bag for years).

The thing with a lot of the suggested holsters is that they would add unnecessary bulk around the nice, slim 1911, defeating my whole reason for having chosen it as my carry piece. They would also make it pretty damn uncomfortable for my junk when sitting down. The way I have it now, my 1911 ends up resting just inbetween my junk and my thigh (works well if you sit like a man).

If anyone knows of a holster similar to this one, that allows the slide and barrel to hang freely past the trigger guard, and has a "slide guard", then please lemme know.
Well i wonder how successful you are going to be with a full size 1911........? :dunno i wouldnt agree with your assertion that appendix isnt popular here..............
Well try the NANO BladeTech holster, thinner material that you can wear appendix or Dale Fricke appendix from Suarez international...........Fist also makes a thin holster...there was another holster i was just reading about that was supposed to be an awesome appendix carry........ Garrity's Gunleather In-Victus AIWB ........this one has gotten rave reviews on "Get off the X forum" .....a better solution might be a smaller 1911 compact carry or Sig Revolution carry.............:grin

#20 ·
I am currently successful with my full sized 1911. My close friends who know I carry aren't ever sure that I'm carrying unless they ask me out of curiosity, and exercise a high percentage of carry (But, I'm in school about 50% of the time that I am out of the house, so...). I simply wanted to know if there was a "better" holster that fits my philosophy of carry.

Here, I'll visualize this to get my point across better. As an example, I'll use that Nano IWB holster. That holster would be much more agreeable, to me, if they took this much off of it;

That extra mass is completely useless to me. Does that make sense?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.