Florida Concealed Carry banner

Ankle Holster for XDS

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  NotXskinnyXBarbie 
#1 ·
I want to occasionally wear a tucked in shirt, and would like to try an ankle holster for my XDS. I wouldn't use it for shopping or anything were there would be a lot of walking, just maybe going to dinner or church. Anyone have an opinion? I know it's a pretty heavy gun for ankle carry... Also, I'd rather not spend a ton of money on it.

Thanks

#2 ·
When I was very new to concealed carry I used to carry in a Galco Ankle Glove. It worked well. That said, I'd think the current generation of tuckable holsters - which would let you carry on your waist, even with a tucked in shirt - would likely be a better choice.

#4 ·
Well, I have worn my XD SC 9mm in and Alien Gear cloack tuck. Sits IWB and your shirt can still be tucked in. I wore it at a funeral viewing then at a funeral under a jacket. I also wore my Glock 26 in the same type of holster IWB and not one person noticed.

#6 ·
Ankle holsters give under covers a bit of "peace of mind" as a backup for a second gun. Had one built into a Frye boot under flared jeans back in the seventies. Primary was a shoulder holster then in Winter or pocket of a field jacket. Summer in DC wore a regular belt OWB police holster with untucked shirt. Only time it was ever noticed was when the shirt blew up on a motorcycle.

Most are a bit paranoid about printing. Primary was an S&W Model 10, 4" bbl and backup was an S&W 5 shot .38 spec. We weren't permitted any other cal. But both were much bigger than a 3" XDS. MUCH WIDER. :thumsup

#8 ·
I have been trying to come up with a workable system of an IWB holster for when I work, and just cant find it. I have a S&W M&P 9c, with both a Crossbreed Super Tuck, and Alien Gear Cloak 3.0. Dress is tucked polo, or dress shirt, dress slacks. My job has me doing anything from standing, or sitting and talking with a customer/ prospect to doing hands on work, including bending and stretching. I am not a small guy, 5'10" 250. I recently picked up a S&W M&P Bodyguard, and will be attempting pocket carry, abut then that gives me less pockets. I don't carry anything in the back pockets because of all the driving I do. If pocket carry does not work, then I feel my last resort is an ankle rig. Any suggestions?

#9 · (Edited)
Put your pistol in the back pocket as you exit your vehicle.

When you have the time; check out a Performance Center Shield 9.

I shot mine in an IDPA BUG match last weekend, in the "BUG-other" class (because of the ports, which aren't usually allowed in IDPA).

I finished fourth overall; bested by one Master Class, and two Expert Class, shooters. The Master was a good bit faster; 20+ seconds over the entire 14 stage match. The two Experts; by a couple of seconds over the whole match.

You won't find a better shooting small pistol; and the faster you shoot; the better it shoots.

It falls in between the BG and the 9c in size.

#11 ·
I'll combust now in flames.... but there are fully tucked holsters when the option is appendix carry (truly appendix and not crotch carry!). The only problem is you sacrifice draw time BUT truly concealment always does that. I would bet ankle would be worst.
Anyways... I don't think weight is an issue with the XDS... any SS snubby revo weights more and those had been carried ankle for years... It is more about the model, which is relatively new. I would switch ankle for a fully concealed holster on the upper body any day. Even thigh holsters, I had switched for upper torso. :dunno Just me. For a backup gun? sure.

I've tried on the gun shows a fully tuckable holster (done locally in Florida). Not sure the name, just that externally looks/acts like a cell phone carrier and the gun is fully tucked under the waist line. the guys did a demonstration with a full size 1911. I was checking it for my nephew, who liked it but at the end preferred pocket carry for his daily clothes "style". I found it slower than normal carry, but deep concealment is supposed to be slower than normal. :dunno

Point is, there are choices out there. Several here go for the OWB waist carrier that looks like a wallet [(?) sneak pete?] ...whatever. Still faster draw than ankle and while not absolutely cool and fashionable, still common to be unsuspected and trendier than a fanny pack :grin

#13 ·
Just an update.... I purchased a Galco Angle Lite for my XDs and it's very comfortable and works pretty good under my boot cut Levis. It prints a little, but I don't think most people would notice. I will say the gun is totally stable and fits snug. I also got the calf strap and use it all the time, but I bet I'd be fine without it. I usually wear it a couple of times a week. It's definitely not as accessible as IWB, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks for the tip.

#19 ·
When I'll learn that anything, absolutedly EVERYTHING, will return an image on the web? :doh

....from phone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.