Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: can you make any money working at a gun shop?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    jax/middleburg FL
    Posts
    132

    can you make any money working at a gun shop?

    Things are terrible in the floor business. We have not had a job in 2 weeks, i am starting to freak out. So i am looking through "jax jobs" and see Shooters is hiring sales guy's. Now i think it would be cool to work around guns and i have done well in sales in the past, but i cannot imagine someone making much money selling guns in a gun shop. Offcourse right now i am making nothing at all, just wanting to pick your brains , If anyone has any experience i would appreciate any info you could offer. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Sponsor brownie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Superstition Mtns, Az
    Posts
    36,845
    Doing well in sales is a matter of knowing the product you are selling.

    How comfortable are you with the various guns, how they function, break down for cleaning, talking about a specific model with enough background or experience behind that particular gun [ either first hand or through a lot of research reading about that make and models quirks, recalls, reputation with buyers, etc ].

    Your value is based on the above as well as your ability to work in an environment that brings people who know nothing and think they know everything about the guns they are discussing, looking to buy.

    One of the biggest assets you can have is knowing how to fit the right gun to the person based on their individual needs, objectives and physical strengths.

    Know how to fill out 4473's properly with no mistakes, call NICS? That's a big plus to a shop.

    Got all the above in abundance? You're worth more to a gun shop than someone who thinks they want to try selling guns with little to no background in the guns they'll be selling.
    The mind is the limiting factor

    Stay Sharp

    Brownie

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    jax/middleburg FL
    Posts
    132
    when you dont have to work the next day you can stay up all night,lol. its 1:24am and i am posting a reply.

    I do know quit a bit about guns and ballistics, i am no expert, but i enjoy looking up what is new, reading articles , and searching for gun videos on youtube. Seems i have never been able to lose my infatuation for guns. I wouldnt know how to do the paperwork , but i dont think i would have any trouble with that. I used to sale cars and figured out that paperwork . I would tell you one thing i have learned from buying guns that may help me at selling them. I think it is ok to know your stuff, and it is ok to have an opinion, but you should try hard not to be to opinionated. I have had guys pretty much tell me that the only thing behind the counter worth a flip is a glock, and anything else would be sort of a waste. I myself know how wonderful a tool the glock is, but i have nothing for them myself. I get phone calls from friends asking what guns they should look at for themselves or their wives. They know i do my gun homework. I just dont know if i can go back to 10.00 bucks an hour just to do something that i would be interested in. Right now any pay would be an upgrade. Not bragging but the last job i did i cleared 1500.00 in 3 days, that is not the norm but it happens. I can get by now working 2 or 3 days a week but that is not happening.

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,083
    When I used to sell computers, I tried to be as objective as possible, determining what the customer needed per his/her requirements and explaining to them what would work for them and why.

    The problem is, many customers, particularly first-timers, want the decision made for them, which is exasperating. Instead of listening to my explanations and making their own determination based on their needs and the info given, they just want someone to say, "You need THIS." I think many of them want to be able to shift the blame to the salesperson when they realize what they bought is not what they needed.

    Like with first time gun buyers, I think the amount of technical information given can be overwhelming. Very often, people I talked to would leave, let the information I gave them percolate in their brains, and would come back later, making an appropriate purchase. Usually, they bought from another salesperson, but I didn't care, as we weren't on commission. As long as they got what they needed, and the store got the sale, whoop-dee-doo.

    Incidentally, that's why I try to correct folks who misuse "magazine" and "clip". Not because I'm a nomenclature Nazi, but because from my computer sales days, newbies coming in to buy who misused computer terminology were preyed upon by less scrupulous salespeople, and ended up buying something they didn't really need for a lot more than they needed to spend. I figure the same would be true for less-than-honest folks in gun sales.

    Ugh. I'm sick and I'm babbling. Not good.

    -JT

    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish5 View Post
    when you dont have to work the next day you can stay up all night,lol. its 1:24am and i am posting a reply.

    I do know quit a bit about guns and ballistics, i am no expert, but i enjoy looking up what is new, reading articles , and searching for gun videos on youtube. Seems i have never been able to lose my infatuation for guns. I wouldnt know how to do the paperwork , but i dont think i would have any trouble with that. I used to sale cars and figured out that paperwork . I would tell you one thing i have learned from buying guns that may help me at selling them. I think it is ok to know your stuff, and it is ok to have an opinion, but you should try hard not to be to opinionated. I have had guys pretty much tell me that the only thing behind the counter worth a flip is a glock, and anything else would be sort of a waste. I myself know how wonderful a tool the glock is, but i have nothing for them myself. I get phone calls from friends asking what guns they should look at for themselves or their wives. They know i do my gun homework. I just dont know if i can go back to 10.00 bucks an hour just to do something that i would be interested in. Right now any pay would be an upgrade. Not bragging but the last job i did i cleared 1500.00 in 3 days, that is not the norm but it happens. I can get by now working 2 or 3 days a week but that is not happening.

  5. #5
    Sponsor brownie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Superstition Mtns, Az
    Posts
    36,845
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish5 View Post
    when you dont have to work the next day you can stay up all night,lol. its 1:24am and i am posting a reply.

    I do know quit a bit about guns and ballistics, i am no expert, but i enjoy looking up what is new, reading articles , and searching for gun videos on youtube. Seems i have never been able to lose my infatuation for guns. I wouldnt know how to do the paperwork , but i dont think i would have any trouble with that. I used to sale cars and figured out that paperwork . I would tell you one thing i have learned from buying guns that may help me at selling them. I think it is ok to know your stuff, and it is ok to have an opinion, but you should try hard not to be to opinionated. I have had guys pretty much tell me that the only thing behind the counter worth a flip is a glock, and anything else would be sort of a waste. I myself know how wonderful a tool the glock is, but i have nothing for them myself. I get phone calls from friends asking what guns they should look at for themselves or their wives. They know i do my gun homework. I just dont know if i can go back to 10.00 bucks an hour just to do something that i would be interested in. Right now any pay would be an upgrade. Not bragging but the last job i did i cleared 1500.00 in 3 days, that is not the norm but it happens. I can get by now working 2 or 3 days a week but that is not happening.
    You answered your own question with the bolded sir.
    The mind is the limiting factor

    Stay Sharp

    Brownie

  6. #6
    Distinguished Member Endangered Species's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville
    Posts
    9,267
    $10.00 an hour compared to zero? No one's going to make you work there forever. Just do it!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    877
    I have a friend that works at the local gunshop part time. He gets paid in ammo. Nice gig for him, but its not his only source of income.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Spring Hill Fl
    Posts
    531
    I know I would not make any money. Wait I would make money but it would not leave the shop.

  9. #9
    Distinguished Member Red Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    got transferred to Largo, MD
    Posts
    5,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    I know I would not make any money. Wait I would make money but it would not leave the shop.
    Same here. I'd probably spend it all in ammo or other "I gotta have it" guns and end up owing the shop money.
    Shoot to stop.

    The only thing required for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

    They who willingly give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Ben Franklin

    Floridians - Stop paying too much for your hobby - http://groupbuybulkammo.com/

  10. #10
    Senior Member m46607's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Incidentally, that's why I try to correct folks who misuse "magazine" and "clip". Not because I'm a nomenclature Nazi, but because from my computer sales days, newbies coming in to buy who misused computer terminology were preyed upon by less scrupulous salespeople, and ended up buying something they didn't really need for a lot more than they needed to spend.
    I've been there.

    "I don't need the TV. Just the modem."
    "You mean the tower?"
    "Yeah, the modem."
    -_-

    Or my personal favorite:
    "I checked out your PC and it turns out you need a new mother board."
    "What the f*ck's a mother's board!?"
    "Happiness and ignorance, as long as he can pay the rent,
    Until the day that Freedom's gone."

Sposors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

get a job at a gun shop
,
gun on the job money
,
how can i make money with firearms experience
,
how much are gun range workers paid
,
how much can gun salesperson make
,

how much can you earn working at a gun range

,
how much do you make if you work at a gun manufactuer
,
how much guns are in a gun shop
,
how to get a job working in guns
,
how to work in a gun store
,
working at a gun shop carry guns
,
working in a gun shop
Click on a term to search for related topics.