Florida Concealed Carry banner

Help me make up my mind

3K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  BeerHunter 
#1 ·
I'm going to buy myself a 45 auto for my birthday. I've narrowed myou search to two guns. S&W M&P Shield and EAA witness compact. I like CZ clones as I have a baby eagle 40. I've heard great things about the shield and with the PSA price and rebate it's a tough decision.

Somebody push me in a direction cause I can't buy both.

Link to eaa witness: https://grabagun.com/eaa-wit-45acp-8rd-3-6-poly-bl.html

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I'm a big proponent of reading the reviews and ratings on products before making a purchase. Since there is no "Consumer Reports" for handguns, I would encourage you to look at various big online sellers and read the reviews and note the ratings of each model you are considering before choosing one. I prefer the Amazon-style ratings because they are generally reviews by folks that have actually purchased the product. The more reviews making up the rating, the better. If there are problematic patterns regarding dependability and quality, they will be revealed.

#3 ·
I don't own either, but I've shot the Shield 45. It surprised me at how easy that little gun was to control. If I was making this choice, that's where I would go.

#4 ·
Is this going to be a carry gun? If so my choice would be the shield hands down. The shield is 7+1 capacity and right about an inch in width, while the witness gives you only 1 more round capacity but adds over a third of an inch in width. With the S&W rebate the shield is also just over half the price.

#6 · (Edited)
I Have the M&P Shield 9mm and I am very happy with it.
I have put about 750 rounds through it without a single hiccup!
Check out you tube and if you get a chance go to a range that rents them, shoot them yourself.

The Shields have Great reputations for both accuracy and reliability!
Also the rebate is hard to pass up.
PMS Has the 45 with or without Safety for $299.99 less rebate that's $224.99!

You have lots of choices with the 45 Shield...

SKU: 11727 Performance Center® Ported M&P®45 SHIELD™ TRITIUM NIGHT SIGHTS
SKU : 11629 Performance Center® Ported M&P®45 SHIELD™ HI VIZ® FIBER OPTIC SIGHTS
SKU: 11726 M&P®45 SHIELD™ Tritium Night Sights No Thumb Safety (This is the one that I have in 9mm / SKU 10086 / $344.00 after rebate.)
SKU: 11531 M&P®45 SHIELD™ No Thumb Safety
SKU: 180022 M&P®45 SHIELD™ Thumb Safety
SKU: 11705 M&P®45 SHIELD™ No Thumb Safety MA Compliant
SKU: 11704 M&P®45 SHIELD™ Thumb Safety MA Compliant

See them all here: https://www.smith-wesson.com/pistols

Check out:

Gun Broker.com: http://www.gunbroker.com/Pistols/BI.aspx?utm_source=gunbroker&utm_medium=herocard-home&utm_content=01_02-Handguns&utm_campaign=herocard-Firearms

Gallery of Guns: http://www.galleryofguns.com/

Good luck and enjoy your Birthday and new present whichever one it turns out to be.

Regards,
Mackie244

#7 ·
Have not shot the EAA but have shot the Shield 45 and echo edgehill's comments. In fact, if I could convince myself to go with a striker-fired handgun, I'd have already acquired a Shield 45 w/o mech safety. It's just that I'm more experienced with SA (1911) or SA/DA (Sig Sauer) hammer fired guns. :grin

#8 ·
Thanks for all the input and helpful suggestions. It will be a carry/car gun. My son suggested I jump on the S&W now and wait until Christmas to get the EAA. But that's only because he thinks I'll give him whichever I end up liking less.

Pretty good idea though. So I am going to go with the shield. Great gun at a great price. Then in six months, God willing, I'll get the EAA. Or, more than likely, something else that has caught my eye ?

#9 · (Edited)
Hi Jayb514
jump on the S&W now and wait until Christmas to get the EAA
That's in essence what I did.
I really wanted the Sig Sauer P320 RX Compact but I got the M&P Shield instead.
I just couldn't pass up the rebate deal offering great pricing per Reliability and Accuracy and Carry Size of the Shield.
It was just a Win Win!

I just bought my Sig Sauer P320 RX Compact (I couldn't wait till Christmas LOL) I pick it up this Friday.
The Shield will be my Carry Gun and I really like it!
But now I have the Sig too!
They are my 1-2 punch!

You can get yours at Christmas!

Enjoy...I think that you did the right thing.

Mackie244

#16 ·
It didn't take long for the old wheels to start a turnin. Now that PSA has shipped my gun I got the wild idea of pairing it with a carbine of the same caliber.

Looking st the options there really is only one feasible choice (economically speaking). Hi-point. My first gun was a c-9 I bought used for $75. Ugly as it was it was I never had a single issue with it. Must have put 4 to 5 hundred rounds through it in the year I had it.

Of course I'd like to get a Thompson. I just don't have the money for that. The Kriss looks cool it is more expensive and less reliable. So it's looking like the hi-point or some AR type. Can't seem to find one with enough reviews to seriously consider purchasing. Thoughts?

#20 ·
Picked up the M&P Shield 45 today. I put 100 rounds through it and I am quite surprised and very impressed. I still can't figure out how this little 45 ACP is this managable! I figured this would be a good carry gun but this is even fun to shoot! Thanks again to all of you for the help! Great friggin gun!!!

#22 ·
It's no secret here that I'm not a Shield fan...I DO like the new 45, though. The new trigger is quite nice and the pistol handles very, very nicely.

You order your Panther holster yet???? :grin

#21 ·
:thumsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.