Florida Concealed Carry banner

Open Carry on my property

11K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  Rick McC. 
#1 ·
Is it illegal (or legal) to open carry while on my own private property (a single family home)

Thanks

#8 ·
What Telum Pisces said. And if someone tries to tell you otherwise, refer them to F.S. 790.25(3)(n).
Telum Pisces and BrianB covered it.

On a related note, in the DPRofMD one could also open or conceal carry on one's residence or place of business just like in Florida but had be careful to avoid any parts of their property that had easements for utilities, mail, etc., as the State considered those easements equivalent to a public place. For example, if I carried while cutting the grass around my mailbox or the electric distribution box (a 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft cube) on my property, according to the DPRofMD, I'd be violating the law and was subject to arrest and prosecution.

#3 ·
What Telum Pisces said. And if someone tries to tell you otherwise, refer them to F.S. 790.25(3)(n).

#4 ·
So reading the above ( 790.25 ), I interpret it as if I am on my son's property and we are walking to where we have a shooting area, I also can open carry because of this..........(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place. To answer the question before it comes up...yes it is a place not prohibited by law. Levy co sheriff deputies have been by...no problems.

#9 ·
I just had a conversation about this with a local deputy in my county. Most of you know I work EMS so I come in contact with and am friends with most all the deputies in my county. I was relating an incident that happened across the road from my home (5 acres) at my dads home. My dad doesn't live there currently (he lives with a lady friend 15 miles away) but it's owned by him. I made the statement that's one reason I would like to see open carry passed so I could carry openly on his property. The deputy tells me that with my dad's permission I most certainly can carry on his property. I asked him to re-read the above cited statute and he says he knows the statute. I further explained to him that there is no provision in the statute for anyone to allow someone to open carry on their property, unless of course it was your place of business. He said he wouldn't arrest me if he saw me carrying on my dads property though.

#10 ·
^^^^
But Barney Fife would! :doh

One of the things one could do in DPRofMd is give others permission to carry at your place of residence. When I was a member of "Maryland Shall Issue" (MSI), one member who had a large farm used to have an annual "Open Carry Summer BBQ" the 100s would attend, nearly all open carrying. Wish we could do that here in "The Gunshine State." :rolleyes:

#18 ·
This dirt will need to be inspected for compliance. Those of us inspecting the dirt will bring meat to put on the grill. Grills are required on all FCC approved dirt piles.
TRUTH! It's in the bylaws!
Also we have to personally shoot into the dirt piles to make sure they are adequate. Sometimes this step of the validation can take quite a few hours. :grin
Sometimes dirt alone does not provide adequate feedback to insure approval. AR500 steel plates are sometimes required to provide adequate feedback.
Sounds like a plan.:)

#21 ·
The sad part is I live in the sticks in northern Baker County. It's a little community called Taylor. Now when I was young up until about 1977 or 78 there were only maybe 50 or 75 that lived here. And everyone was kin either by blood or marriage. Around 1977 a lot of people began leaving Jax for the country, and people started selling land that previously had been cow pastures or woods. We used to sit on my grandfathers porch (next door to where I still live and I now own the old house too) and know who was coming down the dirt road before we saw them because we knew the sound of each persons car. And back then there were many places we could go and shoot guns with never a worry of hitting anyone or anything. We squirrel hunted all over the place because there was a LOT of land to that stuff on. Now you can't hardly throw a rock and not hit something. I might know one out of every 30 vehicles that passes by.

#30 ·
Sounds to me like you can open carry if you have a fishing pole with you!
Be prepared to believably explain where you're headed to, and what you plan to use for bait, or if you're returning from, why the line wound up on your reel isn't wet.

That said, ADulay (member here) open carries most days while heading to or from and has generally reported positive interactions with LE.

#42 ·
:grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.