Florida Concealed Carry banner

Mossber 590 Shockwave

39K views 155 replies 23 participants last post by  brownie 
#1 · (Edited)
I have backordered the Mossberg 590 Shockwave. The one with the 14" barrel that does not require tax stamps:

Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Not really going to shoot it. I like unusual guns or iconic ones. My Man Cave has guns like a Ruger Vaquero, Colt 1911 GI, M4 and Henry Big Boy. Each has its own display with a colorful book pertaining to the gun or the war it was used in. I also display my period specific knives. I was looking for a shotgun to add to my collection of long guns and I saw this. Since I am not going to use it for home defense, I figured that it would be a nice display piece.

I have seen some YouTube videos showing the Shockwave effective at 15 yards. I believe that because I used to have a pistol gripped Mossberg 590 and if you aim it like a pistol, you can hit what you aim at. Not great for quick follow-up shots though. I used to compete with Benelli M4, I believe, which was my favorite. Any one bought one of these yet? I never had problems with Mossbergs. Good value. My local gun store said that they got 5 in and no one wanted them. Then all of a sudden an article came out about them and they sold out in one day.

See less See more
#47 · (Edited)
Range report: took the shove wave to the range with #7 shot. Loaded 9 rounds into tub,max load and set up the steel for patterning run. Walked off 7 yds and proceeded to shoot. I used 2 positions, both from the hip. One at my side and one more out in front. I found with a little practice the position in the front was better for accuracy using an instinctive mode. Shots were very close to each other or right on top of each other. Recoil was a joke!! Barely any whatsoever. However the hit on target was impressive at this distance. Even with #7 the impact was significant. For the guy or gal who can't rack a slide or tolerate 9mm recoil and above this might be a good alternative. All rounds cycled perfectly. The little rubber adapter performed as it was meant to.
Wood Siding

Shooting sport Recreation Shooting range Shooting

#51 ·
I haven't yet I really wanted to test out these mini shells iandthe adapter and they were good to go. I've shot full-size shells in the standard Maasberg with that type of grip before it was doable not as comfortable far more recoil but this type of grip illuminates the possible wrist injuries that the pistol grip can generate

#50 ·
Great report, shooter4! :thumsup

#58 ·
My Mossburg pistol grip in 12 ga. has a Blackhawk "Breacher's Grip" on it. Basically a spring in the grip that reduces the recoil. Actually spreads it out over a longer time.
I could shoot that all day from the hip. I just can't hit anything.
My .410 Mossy has so little recoil I can actually use the sights. One of the benefits of .410.
If Mossburg or Remington brought out the Short Bird's Head shotgun in .410 I'd be all over it.

#64 ·
Check Clint smiths thunder ranch you tube video on how to use the mossy. He takes my first shoot and goes one better

#69 ·
It was only a matter of time that Remington would make their own. I being left handed wouldn't look too long at a Remmy. I've always owned the mossy shotgun and though it has aluminum receiver vs steel I don't have an issue with that. Yup maybe I'll get that magpul so I can put a light on it, and I might just put that strap back on it too. I like the safety on top and slightly lighter is ok with me. This shockwave is mossberg 590 military grad weapon with a shorter barrel and a grip. It's tougher then my mossy 500 marine shotgun. The mossy was chosen by our sheriffs dept as there main shotgun for a reason. This isn't a cheap maverick!! There have always seemed to be 2 camps, the remmy and the mossberg. Take your pick, they are both good!!

#70 ·
:thumsup

#71 · (Edited)
I'll definitely be keeping that forearm strap on mine, and I'm going to buy some 2 3/4" #1 and #4 buck to shoot through it before trying my 3" buck shot.

I have a bunch of three inch stuff, but not much 2 3/4".

S4: Thanks again for the link to Clint Smith's video! I watched it this AM. :thumsup

#73 ·
I picked it up this afternoon, along with six five packs of 2 3/4" #4 buck (all they had), and I plan on shooting the shockwave at the end of next Tuesday's IDPA practice.

It came "well oiled," so I took it over to the bench, field stripped it and cleaned off all the oil from the action and bore, then wiped it down with Eezox.

I intend to use it primarily as my truck gun.

Also; I was surprised at what a nice trigger pull it came with.

#74 ·
#75 ·
:thumsup

#81 ·
I shot #4 buck and some #6 shot field loads today.

It points and shoots well, and I didn't find the recoil bad at all with the 2 3/4" shells.

Follow up shots can be made as quickly as you can rack another shell into the chamber, which is fairly quick.

I found it pretty quick using the method Clint Smith was using; holding the forearm stationary and pushing the gun forward and pulling it back by the grip with the right hand.

Four other shooters tried it out with the field loads, and everyone liked it.

#91 ·
I found it pretty quick using the method Clint Smith was using; holding the forearm stationary and pushing the gun forward and pulling it back by the grip with the right hand.
For some reason, the thought of pushing and pulling with the same hand that contains my trigger finger doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. But then again, I haven't tried it.

#82 ·
Thanks for the feedback Rick. I think I'll stop by my LGS in the next couple of days, and see if they've got one in stock. :thumsup

#83 ·
Palmetto state had it on sale this past weekend for I thin 389.00. That th best price I've seen

Thanks for the review rick. I thought I was going to shoot it last weekend, loaded up the ammo and forgot the shockwave in the garage!!!

#87 ·
Gun show in Tampa next weekend. I'll bet they fly off the shelves.
I'd like to try the Remington 870 version, but I think the .410 version would be perfect for me. No recoil, easy to maneuver.

I'm surprised the ATF doesn't "clarify" the rules and make them require a stamp.
It's a fine line to say the gun never had a stock so it's not a conversion, when the exact same receiver is used on the full sized Mossy/Remington.
But then, I don't see a problem with owning any shotgun.

#89 · (Edited)
When I picked mine up, Mike (LGS owner) said he uses low recoil shells in his. Next time I'm down there, I'll pick some up if they have it in buck shot, and tell y'all if there's a noticeable difference.

I read a review of the 870 Shockwave recently, and the reviewer didn't like that forearm (which I think looks better than the Mossy one) too much. He definitely preferred the one on the Mossy; particularly when shooting it fast.

#88 · (Edited)
Remember Guns the mini shells work great in this gum with no recoil and a $15.00 adapter. And you can get 9 (as I recall) shells loaded. In a pinch you can switch to full size shells

I wish I could say I've never done anything like that...
:rofl a couple days ago I hade to go back in my house 4 times cause I forgot something!! I drove away and eealized there was one more thing I needed!!! :aarg

#90 ·
Remember Guns the mini shells work great in this gum with no recoil and a $15.00 adapter. And you can get 9 (as I recall) shells loaded. In a pinch you can switch to full size shells

:rofl a couple days ago I had to go back in my house 4 times cause I forgot something!! I drove away and realized there was one more thing I needed!!! :aarg
It often takes me two or three tries to "get away," whether I'm heading to the range in the truck, or out on the boat. :grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.