Bloomberg backing ballot initiatives in Florida

Thread: Bloomberg backing ballot initiatives in Florida

Bloomberg backing ballot initiatives in Florida

The Florida Constitution Commission, which only meets once every 20 years, has been commissioned for 2017.
    The Commission holds public meetings to hear from Floridians about changes they wish to see on ballot referendums during the next election cycle.
    Our rights are on the line!!!
    Michael Bloomberg and his minions have a strong foothold in Florida, through the League of Women Voters, Moms Demand Action For Gun Safety, and even some powerful politicians such as Senator Aniterre Flores! Bloomberg has been using state ballot initiatives to force draconian gun control measures down the throats of ignorant voters in several states, selling them a bill of goods.

More information here: http://flcrc.gov/

ALACHUA COUNTY
    University of Florida (UF)
    Curtis M. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts
    3201 Hull Road
    Gainesville, Fla. 32611
    If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Proverb

NRA member since forever

Distinguished Member ctsheepdog's Avatar
    Palm Beach area (Connecticut escapee summer 2015)
    Florida Carry sent out email today listing public meetings. I note nothing in Palm Beach County unfortunately.

The Commission is holding meetings through out Florida which are open to the public. Please plan to attend one in your area.

Scheduled meetings include:

Date: April 26, 2017
    Event: Official Public Hearing

Date: April 27, 2017

Date: May 3, 2017

Date: May 10, 2017

Date: May 17, 2017

Distinguished Member substratum's Avatar
    The Constitutional Commission is not going to put any stupid stuff on the ballot, because it's dominated by conservatives. Citizen Initiatives are another story.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Is this another way to open carry?

AFS
    There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by substratum View Post
    The Constitutional Commission is not going to put any stupid stuff on the ballot, because it's dominated by conservatives. Citizen Initiatives are another story.
    The way things are going in FL at the moment I wouldn't be to sure about this. Actually I'm more than a little concerned. Don't have the link at the moment but one of the things that has been presented for consideration is to make it unconstitutional for the Legislator to override local boards, aka this in effect would kill preemption on gun law which would be a total disaster.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War: He will win who has military Capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

Member: COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, Florida Carry, GOA

Did anything substantive come about from the last meeting 20 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by 305 View Post
    I thought the same thing but the little research I did and it wasn't much didn't show anything at all so we can hope it happens again, but 20 years ago blum**** wasn't in the picture
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War: He will win who has military Capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

Member: COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, Florida Carry, GOA

Quote Originally Posted by 305 View Post
    The commission was pretty conservative in '97-98. The GOP controlled the Florida House & Senate, but moderate Democrat, Lawton Chiles was the governor. As I look at the members, I'm not sure the current group is materially any more conservative than the '97-98 group.

Here are the 13 proposed Amendments the '97-98 Commission put on the ballot:
    http://fall.fsulawrc.com/crc/tabloid.html

A couple of those amendments had to do with state government acquiring more land for conservation purposes. One restructured the Florida Cabinet from 7 members (a hold-over tactic by the state attempting to resist Civil War Reconstruction efforts), to the current 4 (2017 Legislature is considering putting an initiative on the ballot reestablishing the Secretary of State as an elected official - taking it back to a 5-person cabinet).

Of particular note to this group, is Amendment 12 from the '97-98 Commission. Here's the summary:
    REVISION 12
    (By the CRC)

QUICK LOOK AT 12

Authorizes counties to require a criminal background check and a three- to five-day waiting period for all firearms sales occurring on property open to public access. Holders of a concealed weapons permits are exempt.

BACKGROUND

In 1990, Florida voters approved a constitutional amendment requiring a three-day waiting period for retail sales of handguns. Additionally, state law requires a criminal history check of a prospective buyer of any firearm before the firearm ma y be sold or delivered. However, criminal history checks are required only when the firearm is being purchased from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer selling inventory. They are not required when unlicensed deale rs are selling personal inventory, which typically occurs at gun shows, exhibits, and flea markets. To close this loophole, the Commission's revision authorizes counties, if they choose, to require a criminal background check and a three- to five-day wait ing period for all firearms sales occurring on property open for public access. This does not apply to holders of concealed weapons permits when purchasing a firearm.

Overall proceedings of the '97-98 Commission, found here (in case you need aid in getting to sleep):
    http://fall.fsulawrc.com/crc/const_conv.html

One last overall observation with respect to the change in mood, and that is the '97-98 Commission had numerous provisions empowering state and local government further (not just to provide exemptions, but to acquire lands, impose local taxes, etc.), and I don't think those sorts of things would fly, today. I believe they'd be more inclined to restrict the power of government via amendment, than to expand its power.

(Context - I've been involved in the political & public policy processes pretty much without interruption since 1984, in the private sector, working in government, and for the past 22 years as an association executive & lobbyist. I knew 6 of the '97-98 Commissioners, including one who was a personal mentor. I know 6 on the current Commission, one of whom was a fellow-mentor under that same '97-98 Commissioner. It's beginning to make me feel old.)
    Last edited by substratum; 04-21-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by substratum View Post
    Exactly which is why we do not (should not) live in a democracy. Our rights are not subject to a majority vote.

Quote Originally Posted by FLWildMan View Post
    Exactly which is why we do not (should not) live in a democracy. Our rights are not subject to a majority vote.
    IMHO, the Constitution should be limited to provisions that limit the power of government, that specify the structure of government, or that render explicit the rights of the people (as opposed to limiting the rights of the people). Citizens Initiatives are, as you note, the tyranny of the majority. They are the proverbial election held among two wolves and a sheep to decide the question, "What is for dinner?"

Sposors