Would you chase down a criminal? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Would you chase down a criminal?

Quote Originally Posted by ravendriver View Post
    You may have poured it on, but it wasn't a poor attempt at sarcasm. It was most effective.

Glad to see somebody caught it!
    Anyone interested in the 80's TV show Miami Vice? If so click here --->Miamiviceonline.com

The largest Miami Vice web site on the planet dedicated to all things Vice!

Distinguished Member NotXskinnyXBarbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyvco View Post
    Specially if they stole the last case of beer !!!
    That'd change EVERYTHING!
    I'm typing mostly from a cell phone, errors are common, but keep in mind 90% of my grammar errors and 100% of my stupid ideas are my sole responsibility. I ALWAYS use sarcasm...

-"You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it."

- "The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."

Quote Originally Posted by CFL_Citizen View Post
    Along the lines of the Iraq War Vet thread, what if the assailants shot at or attacked him and he had to kill them? Would he be able to claim self-defense?

http://www.floridaconcealedcarry.com...and-Your-Groun
    Many states have a duty to retreat if you can do so with safety; in simple terms you are not to seek a fight. If you pursue someone who's running away, and the encounter turns deadly, more likely than not _you_ are going to be seen as the perp, and it becomes much, much harder for you to demonstrate that you acted in "self defense." Don't go looking for fights, chasing fleeing suspects is strictly a job for the law enforcement professionals.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member NotXskinnyXBarbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pscyclepath View Post
    Many states have a duty to retreat if you can do so with safety; in simple terms you are not to seek a fight. If you pursue someone who's running away, and the encounter turns deadly, more likely than not _you_ are going to be seen as the perp, and it becomes much, much harder for you to demonstrate that you acted in "self defense." Don't go looking for fights, chasing fleeing suspects is strictly a job for the law enforcement professionals.
    Two examples come to mind where this was proven false.

Going on pursue is totally stupid, but it has nothing to do with the premise of self defense if you get attacked. You could pursue someone who stole you car stereo, for example, be attacked and defend yourself... Even sold those syereps "confiscated" witjout reporting to the police and still win the case of self defense..... Also you can follow an unarmed suspecious individual to a dark alley, confront him and shoot him when he punch you, and still be acquitted.

You see, self defense is what happen just when you have to act...not 5 minutes before.

And the lack of witness is always a point to consider

....from phone
    I'm typing mostly from a cell phone, errors are common, but keep in mind 90% of my grammar errors and 100% of my stupid ideas are my sole responsibility. I ALWAYS use sarcasm...

-"You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it."

- "The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."

Not under the example given, but I have no doubt, based on specific circumstances, that I would.
    Rick

"Sights are for the unenlightened."

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Super Moderator
    ^^^^
    This!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, NRA-Life Member
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-PPITH, MDQHI
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-2017
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    -- Circa 1938, author unknown

"It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living."
    -- Gus McCrae

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Sposors