Conceal Carry Paragon Warlock

Thread: Conceal Carry Paragon Warlock

Conceal Carry Paragon Warlock

I have used google and the search tool but being new to the blade world, the laws are very unclear in generally let alone to someone new. I have carried my firearm concealed legally for many years but am now interested in carrying a blade as well. I would like to carry my Paragon Warlock which is a 4" dagger style blade its listed as a manual for knife type and is a gravity knife. With my permit I shouldn't have any issue carrying this (unless I'm in Miami apparently) correct? Also when carry this if I have my permit does it matter if the pocket clip is exposed or not?

It is a rather interesting and unique blade IMO. Here is a video link for those unfamiliar with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5IhZWyV0QI
    Last edited by AtomicTom; 04-11-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Super Moderator
    Welcome to FCC, AtomicTom!

I've recently relocated back to Boca myself, where I grew up. I'm not familiar with the blade you mention and I'm not fully up to speed on local ordinances regarding knives but based on case law, a folder of 4 inches or less is a common pocket knife and not a weapon, meaning a FLCWL isn't required to carry folded and clipped in a pocket. This site, which you may have already found, may provide some insight.

Now I would really like to suggest that you go to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. With your own introduction thread, you'll find the rest of the FCC membership will chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, too! You'll soon find there's lots of great information and help to be had from the members here.

Again, welcome to the forum!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, NRA-Life Member
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-PPITH, MDQHI
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-2017
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    -- Circa 1938, author unknown

"It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living."
    -- Gus McCrae

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Welcome to the forum and there may be another problem with the double edged blade. I wish they would bring knives under the same umbrella as guns statewide. It's a local crapshoot at this point. It was hard to say with the utube vid since the presenter was moving slowly. But to me it looked heavy and clumsy and slow. In reality it could be none of the above
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell
    NRA certified pistol & RSO
    NRA Life member

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Best of luck with that folder. It's not something I'd consider, but I would hope it serves you well.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Interesting knife. From an ingenuity and novelty standpoint it's pretty cool. From a practical standpoint I'd rather carry my Emerson CQC-10. In a folding knife I think it's hard to beat the "Wave" feature for speed of deployment.

But you didn't ask about any of that, you asked about legality. I'm not an attorney and this is not legal advice, but here goes.

From a state law standpoint, if you have a CWFL you can carry your knife openly or concealed. But, sadly, our preemption law does not extend to knives, it only covers firearms and ammunition. Thus, local governments can and do have various knife laws. In order to carry anything but a "common pocketknife" (which your knife certainly would not be) you would have to research the laws of every county and municipality that you intend to pass through or remain in - to ensure they do not restrict your knife. Needless to say this can be an arduous task. Prior to F.S. 790.33 we used to be in the same situation with firearms.

The only good news is that in Florida violations of a county or municipal ordinance generally are punishable only as misdemeanors, so you're not going to go to prison over it (assuming we're just talking about possessing vs. using it in the commission of a crime). The further South one goes in Florida the more I would worry about there being obnoxious knife laws as well as the possibility of an observant officer deciding to enforce them.

If you wish to undertake such research, many counties and municipalities have their ordinances published via MuniCode. Here is a link for just Florida entities. I have found some municipalities that do not publish their ordinances in MuniCode - in those cases you can often find them published on the entity's website. For example, the city of Largo doesn't appear to have their ordinances on MuniCode, but they do have them on their website, here.

Until we get knife preemption in Florida (which isn't a top legislative priority for anybody at the moment) that's the mess you have to contend with.

Hope this helps.
    NRA Certified Instructor and Chief Range Safety Officer
    Florida Carry Life Member, NRA Endowment Member
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Defensive Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)
    The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is A Good Guy With A Gun. -- Wayne LaPierre

Quote Originally Posted by shooter4 View Post
    Welcome to the forum and there may be another problem with the double edged blade. I wish they would bring knives under the same umbrella as guns statewide. It's a local crapshoot at this point. It was hard to say with the utube vid since the presenter was moving slowly. But to me it looked heavy and clumsy and slow. In reality it could be none of the above
    Is there any state law against me carrying the double edged blade with my FL permit? Or are you meaning it could cause issues in certain cities? As for another posters response, the video was going slowly to show how it operates more easily. Once you are use to this it opens really quickly and very comfortable to hold. I am sure there are plenty more practical knives to carry but this one caught my eye for its uniqueness and it's all I have for now. Also thank you all for the welcome. My introductory post should have been my first post but I'm one to jump straight to the point lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicTom View Post
    Is there any state law against me carrying the double edged blade with my FL permit? Or are you meaning it could cause issues in certain cities? As for another posters response, the video was going slowly to show how it operates more easily. Once you are use to this it opens really quickly and very comfortable to hold. I am sure there are plenty more practical knives to carry but this one caught my eye for its uniqueness and it's all I have for now. Also thank you all for the welcome. My introductory post should have been my first post but I'm one to jump straight to the point lol.
    See Brian's post #5.
    Rick

"Sights are for the unenlightened."

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Thanks for the help guys. I have looked at all the ordinances for the cities in which I frequent around my area and it seems like there aren't really any restrictions accept for where I can't carry, i.e public gatherings/parades and what not but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicTom View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I have looked at all the ordinances for the cities in which I frequent around my area and it seems like there aren't really any restrictions accept for where I can't carry, i.e public gatherings/parades and what not but thats about it.
    I work in Boca and live in Broward, so I've looked up the laws in our area and I agree with your assessment. Miami-Dade is the only county that you should be cautious with concerning that knife. I usually switch to my Buck 110 style knife when I head down there. Having said that, if you were to join Florida Carry and did get arrested for that knife, I'm sure they would love the chance to expand case law in this area.

About the knife itself, I, like many on this forum, have a fondness for fixed blades. I've previously looked at the Warlock and for some reason, that locking mechanism scares me. I will say the knife steel is CPM S30V and if it's heat treated correctly, the blade should be wicked sharp. If it's not heat treated correctly, I wouldn't touch the knife at all. I've never owned a Paragon knife, so I can't attest to the quality of the heat treat.

I'm actually thinking of picking up a dagger, but I'm considering something more traditional like a Fairbairn Sykes commando dagger.
    "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." Ronald Reagan, June 6, 1984, speech at Omaha Beach Memorial
    COTEP: 739

Quote Originally Posted by edgehill View Post
    I work in Boca and live in Broward, so I've looked up the laws in our area and I agree with your assessment. Miami-Dade is the only county that you should be cautious with concerning that knife. I usually switch to my Buck 110 style knife when I head down there. Having said that, if you were to join Florida Carry and did get arrested for that knife, I'm sure they would love the chance to expand case law in this area.

About the knife itself, I, like many on this forum, have a fondness for fixed blades. I've previously looked at the Warlock and for some reason, that locking mechanism scares me. I will say the knife steel is CPM S30V and if it's heat treated correctly, the blade should be wicked sharp. If it's not heat treated correctly, I wouldn't touch the knife at all. I've never owned a Paragon knife, so I can't attest to the quality of the heat treat.

I'm actually thinking of picking up a dagger, but I'm considering something more traditional like a Fairbairn Sykes commando dagger.
    I appreciate the follow up in case I may have missed something. It may not be the most practical knife but it certainly caught my attention due to its uniqueness. Its seems to be of good quality IMO but as its my only knife and I'm new to blades I guess I can't really judge it or not as I have nothing to compare it to. I can however say it feels quality and functions smoothly. The blade says its s90v, I believe the earlier ones were the s30v but have changed. They also came out with the Phoenix now which is the same concept but a single sided spear type blade.

Sposors