Florida Concealed Carry banner

A pistols "torque", is it really a problem?

8K views 72 replies 20 participants last post by  brownie 
#1 ·
Bullet on right is supposed to be designed to negate torquing while shooting [ rifling creates torqueing ].

Anyone want to chime in on this aspect of boutique ammo being created to negate torquing?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Ummm..... yeah... no. Complete BS. The notion violates the laws of physics.

Furthermore, I would expect detrimental (aero) effects on the flight of the bullet.

People will buy anything / any idea... no matter how hair-brained.

Stick with what works.

#32 ·
A-ha!! Right there!!
THIS is why people should not buy this bullet -- EVEN IF IT WORKS EXACTLY AS ADVERTISED!

Why?
Because if you can't convince fellow gun-owning bloggers about the bullet's benefit(s), then why take the chance in front of a judge and jury?
I'm with Racer88 on this one. Stick with what works.

The further out on a limb you go with your carry ammo, the more trouble you are asking for.
No need to use overly-deadly sounding "Zombie" ammo either, for the same reasons.
My opinion. (Feel free to disagree!)

#4 ·
That is NOT what either round is designed for. They are both fluted hydrostatic radial dispersement rounds. The one on the left is a solid cooper leihigh bullet and the risght is Ruger ARX by polcase, a poly/copper mix. They are both VERY promising alternatives to hollow points.

#5 ·
I doubt it. VERY much. From a perspective based in physics... it makes no sense. At all.

But, "hydrostatic radial dispersement" sounds REALLY cool! :rofl

#24 · (Edited)
Lawyer?? Yeah... I wasn't using legal analogies. No... I'm just an adherent of logic and science, as opposed to one (you) that resorts to logical fallacies... such as ad hominem.

In my world, science matters. Multiple anecdotes do not make data. And correlation does not equal causation. In my world, "research" sponsored by those with a financial interest doesn't count. Multiple, independent blind studies do count.

But, in the end... as Brownie said... I'm not betting my life on marketing hype. Real world results and a history of success matter more to me. Your mileage may vary.

I'll wait. In the meantime, it's HST, Ranger-T, and Gold Dot... with proven track records that go beyond ballistics gel testing. Maybe these new-fangled fluted plastic bullets WILL turn out to be magical. :)

#25 · (Edited)
I'm running the ARX in my Sig 290s. I did a lot of research. I liked the reduced recoil in the little gun. At the distances that I anticipate using a 290, I like what I found. From the very short barrel (2.9 inches) of my 290, I liked the higher velocity and deeper penetration. The 290 is a BUG or the gun I carry when I just can't dress around the G23

I was carrying Black Talons. Yes, Black Talons...it takes a lot to convince me to give up the ammo that I have researched and decided was appropriate for my intended use.

In my EDC G23 I'm pretty conservative and just run Gold Dot.

#30 ·
I will check in with more scientific data if I ever have to shoot a BG, at bad breath range, with a super sub-compact sig 290 loaded with ATX. This is what I call it an ATM gun. You know, you are getting cash out of the ATM a 1AM and a BG wants to take said cash.

In as much as I don't believe anything good happens after midnight, I doubt I will ever have to use a little tiny sig 290 at 1am. If I do, I doubt I will care what it is loaded with.

Projectiles are a variable, shot placement is not.

#31 ·
Just for the record, a S&W or Colt 357 magnum revolver loaded with 125 grain HP rounds is, ballisticly, the proper gun for self defense. I still have a number of each. I carried one or the other in a cross draw holster when concealment was not a big deal. But society has changed and if I have to conceal my gun I will go with a G23. Even though it is an inferior caliber, 36 rounds of 40 S&W will keep heads down while I fight my way to my rifle. I don't know why anyone wants to engage in a gun fight with a handgun anyway.

#33 ·
this thread is funny as a possum in a sack of sugar

#35 · (Edited)
Holy ***t! It just dawned on me! It all makes sense now! :rofl

:rofl

Cracked myself up with that one. I'm surprised nobody got to it before me!

#42 ·
Holy ***t! It just dawned on me! It all makes sense now! :rofl

:rofl

Cracked myself up with that one. I'm surprised nobody got to it before me!
You've certainly exhibited your own spin in this thread haven't you? :grin

#38 ·
You guys are Killling me.......I love it when it is this entertaining. BTW....ole guys like me don't like change....think I'll stick my Super-Vel. ebl

#39 ·
Lets see, North or South hemisphere, right or left hand rifling... The rifling will overcome anything added (or offset) by bullet design until the bullet leave the barrel. After the bullet leaves the barrel, It can't effect torque on you or the gun.

#46 ·
With these new-fangled bullets, I'll be able to put my hurricane shutters up from 300 yards!

#47 ·
What about creating wormholes in the space-time continuum? The ARX bullet can fold space, so time travel is possible.

#64 ·
Pistol torque in a .380............. Sounds like some kind of micro-aggression trigger for snowflakes to me.

What happens to "pistol torque" when you shoot a pistola in the southern hemisphere??? Does it spin the opposite direction... like flushing a commode in Australia?? We don't have such a thing in the Land of Cotton.

#60 ·
I think I will stick to my Buffalo Bore in my .380....I mean, but what do I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.