Sigh.......

Thread: Sigh.......

Sigh.......

Was in the gun store today, saw a T-99 Arisaka on the used rack. It was in bad shape, it was missing the magazine follower and spring, and the lower guide rails look like someone had been at them with a hammer.

Front sight ears were broken, cleaning rod missing.

As an added bonus, the metal was covered in thick black paint, so thick the rear tangent sight was frozen...

On the bright side, the stock was an early type and intact. I gave my son the 'bubba' stock for the "Franken-Rifle" I put together for him last year, and this was a chance to get a unmolested stock for it.

So, negotiating back and forth, I got the rifle for slightly less than I would have paid for a complete stock + shipping from one of the parts places that carries that kind of stuff.

Brought it home, and started taking it apart.....

...and realized I could unscrew the barrel by hand.....So I did.....

Brought out the acetone, and started removing the paint from the receiver and get a better look at the markings....

And got that sick feeling after cleaning the markings that it is a Nagoya (Tokyo) Arsenal, Series 0...

Nagoya was the first factory that made the T-99, and Series 0 makes it the first production run.......

...and it has a serial number less than 50k, puts it in the first month or two of production, and dates it before Pearl Harbor...

I hate you Bubba....
    Last edited by AFJuvat; 03-20-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

another example of too many people just Don't Know WHAT THEY DON'T KNOW. probably never had a clue what he had in his hands. What a loss, especially to a historian and restorer as yourself.

So was Bubba with you, if not, what Bubba doesn't know won't hurt him. Can also get that Internet find and give that to him?
    LIBERTY 0R DEATH, PATRIOT, VETERAN, HARLEY RIDER, FLORIDA CARRY INC. MEMBER!
    https://www.facebook.com/BasicsRangeandGun?ref=stream
    http://store.basicsrangeandgun.com/
    http://pantherconcealment.com
    SPECIAL WARFARE TEAMS ROCK, WHO'S NEXT?
    STEP OFF OBAMA!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
    Was in the gun store today, saw a T-99 Arisaka on the used rack. It was in bad shape, it was missing the magazine follower and spring, and the lower guide rails look like someone had been at them with a hammer.

Front sight ears were broken, cleaning rod missing.

As an added bonus, the metal was covered in thick black paint, so thick the rear tangent sight was frozen...

On the bright side, the stock was an early type and intact. I gave my son the 'bubba' stock for the "Franken-Rifle" I put together for him last year, and this was a chance to get a unmolested stock for it.

So, negotiating back and forth, I got the rifle for slightly less than I would have paid for a complete stock + shipping from one of the parts places that carries that kind of stuff.

Brought it home, and started taking it apart.....

...and realized I could unscrew the barrel by hand.....So I did.....

Brought out the acetone, and started removing the paint from the receiver and get a better look at the markings....

And got that sick feeling after cleaning the markings that it is a Nagoya (Tokyo) Arsenal, Series 0...

Nagoya was the first factory that made the T-99, and Series 0 makes it the first production run.......

...and it has a serial number less than 50k, puts it in the first month or two of production, and dates it before Pearl Harbor...

I hate you Bubba....
    Oh my, that's a sickening loss of history, on the scale in my book to the destruction of the ancient artifacts those ISIS cockroaches are doing in Syria and other places over the last few years.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, NRA-Life Member
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-PPITH, MDQHI
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-2017
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    -- Circa 1938, author unknown

"It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living."
    -- Gus McCrae

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Well, it wasn't salvagable.

After going through it and cleaning it all up I determined that the receiver is unsalvagable.

Looks like someone went at it with a hammer..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AriReceiver1_sm.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	39330

Name:	AriReceiver2_sm.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	39338

Name:	Arireceiver3_sm.jpg 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	39346

Looks like the barrel was originally removed with a pipe vise, or perhaps vice grips.

Name:	AriBarrel_sm.jpg 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	39354

Took all of the salvageable parts and smothered them in paint stripper to get the paint off.

Name:	AriPaintStripper_sm.jpg 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	39362

After taking all of the paint off and rinsing, I decided to blue the parts I was going to put on my son's rifle.

Cleaned parts soaking in denatured alcohol. I tossed in the receiver to try a few different techniques.

Name:	AriStrippedCleaned_sm.jpg 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	39370

After bluing and heating the parts to about 300 degrees F, I put them in an oil bath to soak for about 24 hours.

Draining from the oil bath.

Name:	AriBlued2_sm.jpg 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	39378

The final results. Changed up the technique a bit, and the parts came out a very deep blue/black. Overall, pretty happy with the result.

Name:	AriBlued3_sm.jpg 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	39386

Name:	AriBlued4_sm.jpg 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	39394

Name:	AriBoltBlue1_sm.jpg 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	39402

Wow. Awesome work, sir!

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

Join Florida Carry

Sposors