Defensive practice - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defensive practice

Quote Originally Posted by NotXskinnyXBarbie View Post
    Maybe soda cans will go easier until the muscle memory is set. We've used the shells targets but the missing part doesn't give the positive reinforcement sometimes needed
    It's a fun practice and very useful at 1/2 and 3/4 hip.

I have been trying to find some square tennis balls that I can toss on the berm and won't roll down but no luck so far.
    Have trying to think of something else to use but nothing so far so I keep a bucket of fired shells in my truck to throw on the berm and then pick them up when finished shooting.

Just had a thought after typing this post.
    Why not buy a bag of used tennis balls at Goodwill and cut them in half. No more problem with rolling.
    Last edited by ken grant; 03-20-2017 at 07:26 PM.

The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    YEP ! They would work great but sure would be expensive because I usually throw 10-15 shells on the berm so I have to shoot targets at different levels , distance and directions. I never shoot the same one twice in a row unless I double tap it and that is not very often.

Just another thought I had , While looking around at Good Will I will look for rubber balls about the size of baseballs or softballs and cut them in half for targets.
    Last edited by ken grant; 03-20-2017 at 08:14 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member NotXskinnyXBarbie's Avatar
    darn, that's expensive, Brownie. I've used shells, soda cans, plastic bottles.... but the cut tennis balls sounds good. Wally sells 3 for $3 and even have them in pink
    I'm typing mostly from a cell phone, errors are common, but keep in mind 90% of my grammar errors and 100% of my stupid ideas are my sole responsibility. I ALWAYS use sarcasm...

-"You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it."

- "The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."

Quote Originally Posted by NotXskinnyXBarbie View Post
    darn, that's expensive, Brownie. I've used shells, soda cans, plastic bottles.... but the cut tennis balls sounds good. Wally sells 3 for $3 and even have them in pink
    It is on the more expensive side of soda cans, shells and plastic bottles. I prefer clay pigeons myself.

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    One of the more popular drills, I might add
    Yup..

I remember being RSO at one class in Volusia before I became unavailable...You called me out of the blue during that drill to 'hit that can'. It wasn't 30 feet though, it was 30yds. One Ranger T 124gr+p later, can popped in the air. I think my response was 'See y'all at the bar'.

The skills WORK

...and I honestly don't think I ever unholstered my gun again in any class in which I've had the pleasure to assist you.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

Join Florida Carry

, we've had some great times on the range and in the sparring room, seen some great shots made on demand like your exhibition of prowess with a handgun that day.. Memories, it's about all I have left in me now

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Thinking about just using empty .22 L.R. hulls for my targets now .

Plenty of them on the ranges I use.

Everyone said " aim small , miss small.

Just joking , I can't even be sure of hitting a basketball every shot , but I am trying.
    Last edited by ken grant; 03-21-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Plans go astray , loaded all my mags for my 19 and 26 AA .22 Kits this PM for my range trip tomorrow and then injured my trigger finger afterwards. A good cut on the pad , no stiches but still sore.

Range trip is still on but will have to try shooting with the middle finger. Trying it tonight with a laser cartridge and it seems to work OK but having a little trouble with the draw and keeping two fingers off the grip instead of just one.

One bright side is I won't worsen the blister on my middle finger that my normal draw would do.
    The bad side is I won't be able to tell if I cured my blister problem with the under cut on the trigger guard.
    Last edited by ken grant; 03-21-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
    Thinking about just using empty .22 L.R. hulls for my targets now .

Plenty of them on the ranges I use.

Everyone said " aim small , miss small.

Just joking , I can't even be sure of hitting a basketball every shot , but I am trying.
    Good stuff, Ken.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

Join Florida Carry

Sposors