Groupie or Ho' Chaser? Zeroing the Rifle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groupie or Ho' Chaser? Zeroing the Rifle

Groupie or Ho' Chaser? Zeroing the Rifle

Folks,
    I learned back the ancient days when the M-16A1 was new and wheel guns still rode the hips of most police, to zero a rifle using 3 shot groups, adjusting the sights or scope and shooting another group until it hit the proper spot on the 25 yard zero target, then firing a fresh target for conformation. This was followed by firing on the Known Distance range at 200 yards or whatever was available for verification.

Now I see, even on the TV, people using a machine rest, firing a single shot (after bore scope alignment) adjusting the sights to the point of impact and then verifying the zero with a single shot.

So, how do you zero your rifle.

Geoff
    Who had tri-focal spectacle troubles zeroing his AR with a Leupold Rifleman Variable. Next week my range is open and I will work at long range.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic 9094 View Post
    Folks,
    I learned back the ancient days when the M-16A1 was new and wheel guns still rode the hips of most police, to zero a rifle using 3 shot groups, adjusting the sights or scope and shooting another group until it hit the proper spot on the 25 yard zero target, then firing a fresh target for conformation. This was followed by firing on the Known Distance range at 200 yards or whatever was available for verification.

Now I see, even on the TV, people using a machine rest, firing a single shot (after bore scope alignment) adjusting the sights to the point of impact and then verifying the zero with a single shot.

So, how do you zero your rifle.

Geoff
    Who had tri-focal spectacle troubles zeroing his AR with a Leupold Rifleman Variable. Next week my range is open and I will work at long range.
    I use 5 shot groups. It's called triangulation for a reason. Fire 5 shot group, adjust from center of group. Fire another 5 shot group to confirm. Never ever adjust sights based on a single shot. Although only carbines are zeroed at 25 yards or 200 yards. Rifles should be zeroed at 100 yrds to make the math simple shooting at longer ranges.
    BTTBBOB
    President & Chief Instructor
    South Florida Gun School
    www.sflagunschool.com
    Facebook Page- South Florida Gun School

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense."
    - John Adams
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    I use a bench rest and fire three shot groups. I've tried all of the gadgets and have returned to my original method. Bench rest and three shot groups.
    Last edited by TitleIIToyLover; 03-18-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bttbbob View Post
    I use 5 shot groups. It's called triangulation for a reason. Fire 5 shot group, adjust from center of group. Fire another 5 shot group to confirm. Never ever adjust sights based on a single shot. Although only carbines are zeroed at 25 yards or 200 yards. Rifles should be zeroed at 100 yrds to make the math simple shooting at longer ranges.
    This is what I do as well. Mainly because you're the one who taught me how to properly zero a rifle.
    "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." Ronald Reagan, June 6, 1984, speech at Omaha Beach Memorial
    COTEP: 739

I fire one round, without moving the rifle, move the reticle to the bullet hole. Fire another round and make the final minute adjustment. One can zero a rifle in 3 rounds with this methodology taught to me through counter sniper training at HK in 94.

I've also been instructed in zeroing like Bob explains. If I'm zeroing over 100 yrds, I use Bob's suggestion. At 100, what I described works quite well and takes a lot less time if you can zero from a bench and not field positions.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Super Moderator
    Used groups for my carbine as Bob describes. Brownie told me of his method learned at HK sniper school but haven't tried that method yet. Put a new sight on my .22 rifle and might give it a try. Will use what works when I pick up a .308 rifle bolt gun or M1A, hopefully one day soon.
    Last edited by BeerHunter; 03-20-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Correct the autocorrect %^&(*
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, NRA-Life Member
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-PPITH, MDQHI
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-2017
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    -- Circa 1938, author unknown

"It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living."
    -- Gus McCrae

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

I was trained the same way back in the day. But with modern firearms, ammo and scopes I find I can dial-in pretty quickly with 1 shot per adjustment. Once I get closer to center, I get back to the 3 shot groupings. On a fresh firearm, I get it "on paper" first and go from there. This is actually one of the funner aspects of shooting for me.

I like shooting so I don't mind firing the extra shots. And when I make my adjustments it normally only takes once.
    BTTBBOB
    President & Chief Instructor
    South Florida Gun School
    www.sflagunschool.com
    Facebook Page- South Florida Gun School

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense."
    - John Adams
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    I fire one round, without moving the rifle, move the reticle to the bullet hole.
    How do you do that? Is the rifle in some sort of vise?
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    How do you do that? Is the rifle in some sort of vise?
    from the previous post, takes a lot less time if you can zero from a bench

Here's how it works if you haven't vised it and just sand bagged it. Shoot the round, put the crosshairs back on the X you tried to hit, hold it steady in the shoulder and move the turret knobs to till they are on the bullet hole. Now reacquire the X, make the shot. Minute adjustments of a click or two are all that will be necessary. 3 shots and done is normal at 100 yrds from the bench.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Sposors