Reflex Sights vs. Laser Sights on Defensive Pistols - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reflex Sights vs. Laser Sights on Defensive Pistols

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    Having just participated in a night match, I was able to make some observations regarding different choices for low light weaponry accessories:

In terms of speed and accuracy, those individuals using handheld lights were at a distinct disadvantage compared to those with weapon mounted lights (WMLs). Individuals with head-mounted lights also fared better than those with handheld lights, though none were nearly as bright as the WMLs.

Among the 80 or so competitors present, the WML of choice appeared to be the Streamlight TLR-1, with many sporting the HL variant (which is what I have). At 800 lumens, it is blindingly bright; it's like having an LED car headlight attached to your gun. I did notice, as did others, that tritium dots essentially disappear when the light is activated; however, that much light also enables a daylight-crisp iron sight picture, so the tritium dots are superfluous at that point. I also found that I was still able to make fast, accurate shots with the strobe feature activated.

There were two individuals on my squad using lasers; one red and one green. The one using the green laser had a brighter WML than the one using a red laser, and the green dot appeared much more washed out than the red. I'm not sure if the red laser was more powerful than the green, or if the white light alone made the green laser somewhat less visible, but it's something to consider if you're thinking about employing a laser on a defensive pistol. Using a laser did not appear to give either shooter a competitive advantage...but they were cool looking.

Our match director shot one stage using .40 S&W tracers, which was also cool to watch, but I can't see any practical use for them outside of full auto weapons. Just a fun novelty for low light shooting.

I did not see anyone using a pistol-mounted red dot/reflex sight at this match, but I have used one on a rifle during a nighttime defensive carbine match, and I don't think there's any question that they're faster to use than iron sights, day or night.
    "It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

I have Crimson Trace Laserguards on three of my carry pistols. I rarely utilize them at the range. If I'm just punching holes in paper, I find the iron sights much more accurate. There are benefits to the laser, though. Primary among them, I've found, is to help with developing stability and stillness when I shoot at longer distances. Watching how much that dot actually moved at 25 yards was an eye-opener. They are also really fun for teaching new shooters. Same reason as before, primarily.

What's the big advantage? Being able to put rounds on target if I can't get a good sight picture. If I have to hide under something or behind something, or can't get the pistol up to eye level, I can put the dot on the target and know I'm going to hit.

It definitely increases the range at which I feel comfortable with my tiny little CW380, though. 20 yard killzone shots with that are no problems whatsoever.

Super Moderator
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, NRA-Life Member
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-PPITH, MDQHI
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-2017
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    -- Circa 1938, author unknown

"It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living."
    -- Gus McCrae

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCatDaddy View Post
    I have Crimson Trace Laserguards on three of my carry pistols. I rarely utilize them at the range. If I'm just punching holes in paper, I find the iron sights much more accurate. There are benefits to the laser, though. Primary among them, I've found, is to help with developing stability and stillness when I shoot at longer distances. Watching how much that dot actually moved at 25 yards was an eye-opener. They are also really fun for teaching new shooters. Same reason as before, primarily.

What's the big advantage? Being able to put rounds on target if I can't get a good sight picture. If I have to hide under something or behind something, or can't get the pistol up to eye level, I can put the dot on the target and know I'm going to hit.

It definitely increases the range at which I feel comfortable with my tiny little CW380, though. 20 yard killzone shots with that are no problems whatsoever.
    One Threat Focused Pistol course with brownie and you could do the same thing without the laser and likely faster.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCatDaddy View Post

There ya go, confidence in one's ability and equipment is important. What's a kill zone shot?
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Center mass. Sometimes I play around with head shots, but that's not realistic in a real life situation. It's a very small pistol and at 25 yards my eyes aren't what they used to be. :-)

Sposors