Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it better to register a gun bought in private sale?

Is it better to register a gun bought in private sale?

I just got done reading the thread "Procedure for selling a gun privately".

Brownie says and most everyone agreed:

"Get the buyers drivers license information to include address, date of birth, license number, date of expiration, have them sign the piece of paper they received that gun with that serial number on that date from you, make sure the signature matches the license, ----- put that information in a secure place and keep it as a record of sale.

No valid drivers license---------- no sale

You're good to go. Feds come knocking at the door down the road, show them the paper he signed with his information on it and tell them to have a nice day"

MY QUESTION: What happens if the police run a check on the gun and it is not registered to you? Is it better to register a gun in a private sale so no hassles in future? Also I tried to locate a statue in Gutmachers book on private sales but couldn't. If anyone has the stat # I would appreciate it.
    Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by LevelG27 View Post
    I just got done reading the thread "Procedure for selling a gun privately".

Brownie says and most everyone agreed:

"Get the buyers drivers license information to include address, date of birth, license number, date of expiration, have them sign the piece of paper they received that gun with that serial number on that date from you, make sure the signature matches the license, ----- put that information in a secure place and keep it as a record of sale.

No valid drivers license---------- no sale

You're good to go. Feds come knocking at the door down the road, show them the paper he signed with his information on it and tell them to have a nice day"

MY QUESTION: What happens if the police run a check on the gun and it is not registered to you? Is it better to register a gun in a private sale so no hassles in future? Also I tried to locate a statue in Gutmachers book on private sales but couldn't. If anyone has the stat # I would appreciate it.
    Thanks for any help.
    There is no 'registration' in FL. If the gun is in your possession, you 'own' it.

Are you talking about both parties going to an FFL and transferring the weapon from one party to another?

There is no statute covering private sales in FL, except that the legal age of possession is 18. They are perfectly legal. Statutes, in general, tell you what you can't do, not what you can do. Find me a statute that sez it's legal to wear Wrangler jeans on a Tuesday.

About half the firearms I own came to me through private sales. I've only signed one bill of sale from one gentleman who asked that I do so.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

They are not registered to a certain person, just the sell.

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

serial number search. to see if it is stolen. FYI
    ADOG88
    --------------
    XD-40 SC
    --------------
    NRA MEMBER
    --------------
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rvrctyrngr View Post
    There is no 'registration' in FL. If the gun is in your possession, you 'own' it.

Are you talking about both parties going to an FFL and transferring the weapon from one party to another?

There is no statute covering private sales in FL, except that the legal age of possession is 18. They are perfectly legal. Statutes, in general, tell you what you can't do, not what you can do. Find me a statute that sez it's legal to wear Wrangler jeans on a Tuesday.

About half the firearms I own came to me through private sales. I've only signed one bill of sale from one gentleman who asked that I do so.
    No, just talking about a private sale between two people. THanks for your input.

As others have said, there is no such thing as registration. You don't need any of that crap and transferring through an FFL is a waste of money.

Do you have reason to believe the person is a felon, mentally defective, or otherwise unable to own a gun? If not, he hands you the money and you hand him the gun. That is a private sale, just like you selling somebody a model train set or a fishing rod.

If on the very, very, very unlikely chance that law enforcement ever comes back to you asking about it, tell them you sold it and provide a description of the person as best you can. But out of me and all my friends, we have done a lot of private sale transactions and have never a problem. Only once have we refused a sale to a guy who fit the role of a gang banger way too well, and he didn't put up a fight about it.

You buying or selling?
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

Distinguished Member fuzzy03cls's Avatar
    I bought my 1911 & my 84FS private sale & I only got a bill of sale with my name, address & gun serial #, his info & my CWL#. Signed by both of us. I got a copy he got a copy.
    Done

You guys can do whatever you want but I am not selling a gun to anyone without identification. I don't have a crystal ball about whether they're a felon or mentally ill and getting a driver's license won't change that but at least my butt will be covered if the buyer uses the firearm in a crime. To just sell a gun to an indvidual without any id maybe legal but I'm not doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uechi View Post
    You guys can do whatever you want but I am not selling a gun to anyone without identification. I don't have a crystal ball about whether they're a felon or mentally ill and getting a driver's license won't change that but at least my butt will be covered if the buyer uses the firearm in a crime. To just sell a gun to an indvidual without any id maybe legal but I'm not doing it.
    +1

I agree
    When the music stops playing, I don't want to be caught without a chair.

Sposors