Florida Concealed Carry banner

Shield 45 ballistics gel test-- interesting results

9K views 65 replies 16 participants last post by  brownie 
#1 ·
A member of another forum posted this on his testing of the shield 45 with various loads/

I did a impromptu clearballistics FBI BARE gel test today. 6"x6"x16" with wood backstop
It was 17 degrees F, 61% humidity, Pressure 30.3%
I used my .45 Shield
Federal HST 230gr= penetrated 11 1/2" expanded .82
Federal HST 230 gr +P= penetrated 11 3/4" expanded .80
Critical duty 220 +P = passed through block. recovered in wood .51"
Underwood Extreme defense 120gr=passed through block recovered in wood
Winchester Ranger 230gr (RA45T)=penetrated 11 1/2" expanded .75-.85"
Widest petal was .85
Winchester Ranger 230gr+P (RA45TP)=penetrated 14 3/4" expanded .75-.85
I then shot 4 more rounds of Ranger 230gr+P and they went from 14 1/2" to 14 7/8"
So with my little test I will be carrying the Ranger 230+P.
Just thought you might be interested in the results.
The Federal HST expand beautifully but don't even penetrate to 12" with the shorter Shield barrel.

I wasn't planning on changing out the ranger T 230's anytime soon, but it appears it's still at least as effective as the boutique ammo like Critical defense and Underwood.

Personally, I'll still entertain the HST loading which I have plenty of as well. Either this or the Ranger T will suffice, still suffice and will continue to perform well even as new flavors of boutique ammo arrive on the market. Thought some members here would like to see anothers results out of the actual gun they carry.

See less See more
#63 ·
More ballistics testing produced these results for velocity/penetration/

http://www.realguns.com/articles/843.htm

Remmy ultimate defense 230 grain at 875 per produced

707 fps from shield
15" of penetration
.70 recovered diameter

#64 ·
Coming back to this thread since my Kahr CW45 has the same barrel length as the shield.

Have a good local source for 50rnd boxes of HST 230 s/v. Went with those. They carry Ranger T, as well, but no 45 this time around.

Thanks for the update on the Remington, Brownie.

:thumsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.