Florida Concealed Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Repeal of non-sterile passenger terminal carry

7K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  Rvrctyrngr 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Had the same thought but of course, the mass shooting today is exactly the situation the proposed legislation is supposed to correct; eliminate the "gun free zone" that ONLY law-abiding people obey but provides a shooting gallery for mass killers with law-abiding people as their targets. :mad:

#10 ·
And it's still early in the investigation of the shooter and his motives are not at all clear. However, one thing is already VERY clear. Based on statements of his brother, Army CID, and the FBI, it is once again evident there were clear signs this individual was MENTALLY UNSTABLE. :smack No law has a snowballs chance in Hell of deterring a mentally deranged individual!

#15 · (Edited)
And it's still early in the investigation of the shooter and his motives are not at all clear. However, one thing is already VERY clear. Based on statements of his brother, Army CID, and the FBI, it is once again evident there were clear signs this individual was MENTALLY UNSTABLE . :smack No law has a snowballs chance in Hell of deterring a mentally deranged individual!
AGAIN he was interviewed by the FBI and local authorities and a failure to follow through and at least temporarily suspend his credentials and collect his firearms until his mental state can be evaluated!!!! Why can't we do this? And I agree doing this now would be a tough sale though it should happen, politically a minefield

#21 ·
Why should I be denied the opportunity to arm myself once I collect my luggage without having to seek out a source of ammo? I've loaded a firearm in MANY airport restrooms to protect myself against EXACTLY this situation. I've had confidants hand me loaded weapons in baggage claim.

Limiting the law-abiding has ZERO effect on those that would do harm.

Sorry, KJ. Don't buy it.

#20 ·
Is it really necessary to pass a new law every time something happens? Don't we have enough laws already?

#25 ·
The F.B.I. knew this guy was a nut, They took his gun, sent him to the loony bin and when he was turned loose, they gave him his gun back. He was kicked out of the National Guard and told the F.B.I. that the C.I.A. recruited him to join ISIS and that should have been enough to put him on the background check list to not buy a firearm. In this case they could not do anything but give him his gun back and let him go to kill people.
I hope the shrinks at whatever loony bin he was at get fired for not doing their jobs. He committed no crime so the F.B.I. could not hold him, The shrinks released him and said he was fine.
THERE IS "NO" WAY TO STOP NUTS LIKE THIS _ "UNTIL AFTER THEY DO THE EVIL DEED"
Ronnie

#28 ·
Kinda puts a damper on the whole "magazine capacity restrictions" argument too. If his gun was a Walther PPS (as has been reported) then at most it had an 8 round magazine capacity. In less than a minute he killed 5 people and wounded between 6 and 8 (depending on which article you read).

The antis will argue that if he had larger magazines he would have killed more since he gave up and surrendered himself without incident once he ran out of ammo. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that he could have just as easily had 20 magazines instead of only 2.

And can someone please explain to the media that they are magazines, not clips? Sigh.

#30 ·
I miss that NBC reporter who not too long ago uncovered the 'loophole' that allowed guns to be sold without a concealed carry permit. Sigh....She was good for lots of comic relief. Hopefully she's still out there diggin' up loopholes. :dancingbanana

#33 ·
One of the Fox News contributors, a retired USN Officer, highlighted during an interview yesterday that these people were sitting ducks in Florida's airport terminal GFZ and what I was overjoyed to hear him say was that the Florida law needs to be repealed so law-abiding Floridians at least have the chance to protect themselves AND that we need National reciprocity of CC permits!

I could hardly believe my ears that this was being said over a national cable news channel and the speaker wasn't immediately quashed by producers with an agenda by cut to some other, irrelevant story.

:dancingbanana

#34 ·
I happened to be in the terminal at SWFL International at the exact time this occurred attending a retirement/going away party/roast for a great leader. And, yes, I disarmed and left my revolvers in my glove box. Will this massacre lead to concealed carry in the terminals? Doubtful. It's so much easier to hop on the chicken little train and vote the way the scared and the helpless think that gives them security at all costs. Our forefathers would not be proud! :thumbsdwn

#35 ·
This isn't a referendum on a ballot put to Florida voters, if that's what you're implying. The bill only gets voted on in the legislature and then if it passes, signed into law by the Governor.

#38 ·
Thanks! For those interested, here is the link to Senate page for HB 6001.

#40 · (Edited)
[Edited to add - what I wrote below is wrong - the SENATE Criminal Justice committee is headed by a Democrat - the HOUSE Criminal Justice committee is headed by a Republican.]

Happy to see a HB on the topic was still filed - immediately after the airport shooting. But since Criminal Justice is one of the committees - the committee chaired by a Democrat - I wonder about its future.

#41 ·
Happy to see a HB on the topic was still filed - immediately after the airport shooting. But since Criminal Justice is one of the committees - the committee chaired by a Democrat - I wonder about its future.
Me too for exactly that reason - same as I'd expect for any 2A legislation routed through that committee!

#46 ·
I prefer to drive anyway. Much cheaper for the places I need to go.

#49 ·
Emilio T. González, Director and CEO of the Miami-Dade Aviation Department, said on the radio tonight that although he himself has a FL CCW, he cannot support a repeal of firearm restrictions in the "land-side" terminal areas at MIA. Land-side means everything that's not on the "Air-Side", i.e., the supposedly secure areas past the X-Ray machines.

His reasoning seemed to be two-fold.
One, that an airport is no place for weapons of any kind generally, and
Two, that civilans with firearms could be mistaken as the bad guy by any one of the myriad LEO agencies handling airport security: (of which there are no less than a dozen by my count).

I might have added (Three, that civilians might have bad aim, or poor judgement, but González didn't bring that up.)
And I'm for airport carry, in case you were wondering...

Anyway, González comes across like a reasonable person, with well thought-out views, (perhaps "well-rehearsed" political views?), but when it came to CCW at the baggage claim, I didn't personally find his reasoning to be particularly compelling or likely to change very many minds. But, here's a guy with a CCW, and he's both against guns in unsecured airport areas and he's in a position of power to be heard. Not a great combination.

I looked for the audio link but it's not posted.
It was either on WLRN-FM or possibly WIOD-AM. About 8PM tonight local South Florida time.

#50 ·
His point about being a GGWAG being mistaken for a BGWAG is the only valid point in my opinion. You would have to be extra cautious in a very volatile situation (I'm supposing you're the GGWAG). But, as has been repeatedly pointed out, a BGWAG could go run out to his car get a weapon and walk into baggage claim firing.

#51 ·
The GGWAG getting shot by responders is as much an issue for off duty cops as it is for us - and it's no different for us in an airport terminal than it is in Walmart or anyplace else we're allowed to carry.

I grow weary of these tired old lines they like to throw out.

#55 ·
Folks, this section is to discuss specific legislation. Please keep the 'what ifs' and other stuff to other threads.

I'll re-open this if there's any movement on the legislation.

My gut feeling is, however, that a comprehensive bill, similar to SB 140 is going to be introduced at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.